Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015 | 09:30 AM
          Baggyb
          Advanced

Here in England you have to wear a helmet.

I have always worn a full face, this is my current helmet

Old 06-11-2015 | 12:28 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by eleutheros
          Perfect analogy, not. If you think purposely self-inflicted injury is a good analogy, then it goes without saying riding a motorcycle is suicidal. This would be an even stronger reason to ride without a helmet rather than with one. That's one reason why the statement doesn't work as an example. Try using it on auto passengers; there's a much greater number receiving head trauma injuries.
          Wrong. there are more auto accidents, that's why. And they have airbags and seatbelts. Its a perfect example of protection from even a minor impact.

The chart is only what it is. It shows there are many other greater possibilities of getting head trauma than traffic, so to concentrate on pushing helmets on motorcycling is not the bang for the buck. It’s just singling out motorcyclists for no valid reason. The chart can also be used to show those who would force helmets on us that we can't just take freedoms away from people to force them to not get hurt (live life). It’s like saying don’t climb ladders because too many fall and sustain head trauma. If full protection is the greater concern over accident avoidance, then the helmet should be worn in a majority of other activities. If certain activities are believed by an individual to have a high probability of injury then they should probably be avoided. Do you think your self-inflicted example is included on the chart?
          Wrong again. Helmets are worn in many activities. Especially those involving other participants, travel above 5mph and in our case, balancing on two wheels. Basic logic and reasoning.

People don't protest seat belt laws so much because there are good studies on them that prove their value, and also shows when they don't help. Although, lots of people still ignore them, which is the same as a protest. And because there's so much data on which accidents they help, and how many people, air bag development cost was justified for additional help. None of this is the case for motorcycle helmets. Your criticism of charts and statistics applies perfectly to helmet studies. I'll give you a two wheel above 5 when you give me one that shows motorcycle helmet and no helmet injuries (not death) with real miles traveled without injury.
          If you're protesting the effectiveness of helmets, you're really stupid.

Old 06-11-2015 | 02:54 PM
          Rog48
          Elite HDF Member

Blah Blah Blah

Old 06-11-2015 | 03:50 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rog48
          Blah Blah Blah
          lol. from the guy with two pictures of himself wearing a DOT 3/4 helmet

Old 06-12-2015 | 06:17 AM
          Rog48
          Elite HDF Member

The blah blah blah was in reference to this never ending continuous loop thread...............not your post in particular.

Old 06-12-2015 | 09:17 AM
          eleutheros
          Road Master

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          Wrong. there are more auto accidents, that's why. And they have airbags and seatbelts. Its a perfect example of protection from even a minor impact.

Wrong again. Helmets are worn in many activities. Especially those involving other participants, travel above 5mph and in our case, balancing on two wheels. Basic logic and reasoning.

If you're protesting the effectiveness of helmets, you're really stupid.
          "...that's why" there is more trauma. You're contradicting yourself. There is more cage accidents with trauma, even with seat belts and air bags.

Helmets are NOT worn in many activities. I gave you 2 big number ones. Basic facts.

If you're promoting helmets and ff in particular, you're really into the safety of crashing well, instead of the safety aspects of avoiding crashing. Good luck with that.

Old 06-12-2015 | 11:56 AM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by eleutheros
          "...that's why" there is more trauma. You're contradicting yourself. There is more cage accidents with trauma, even with seat belts and air bags.

Helmets are NOT worn in many activities. I gave you 2 big number ones. Basic facts.

If you're promoting helmets and ff in particular, you're really into the safety of crashing well, instead of the safety aspects of avoiding crashing. Good luck with that.
          It's pretty obvious you're unaware of statistics and how they are gathered. First there are more accidents = more trauma. Second the severity isn't accounted for. Third, PROVE there is more trauma in a car. Most collisions are frontal and seatbelts and airbags prevent head trauma.

Helmets ARE worn in many outdoor activities. Funny how skiers, snowboarders, bicyclists, etc. don't protest them. Skydivers, football players, etc. Those are called facts.

Don't assume how I ride, and don't argue with facts and logic.

OH AND BY THE WAY.....that chart you provided INCLUDES motorcyclists and bicyclists and pedestrians struck by motor vehicles. Unless you can prove different.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 06-12-2015 at 01:08 PM.
          Old 06-12-2015 | 12:05 PM
          Blacky 77
          6th Gear

I am amazed at how many pebbles thrown up by vehicles ahead and how many bugs that hit like small stones nail my face plate when riding. I guess my face isn't made of the same stuff that guys cruising the interstate with nothing but a rag and sun glasses are made. Cool factor kind of goes out the window during the ambulance ride if you weren't wearing one though.

Old 06-12-2015 | 12:16 PM
          jm35ny
          Tourer

I`ve been wearing a 3/4 Biltwell Helmet with the face shield for about two years, after I also caught a flattened soda can in the face. Last year I was passing an 18 wheeler when one of the back tires blew and I took about a 10inch piece of tire to the face. It broke the face shield but it def saved me.

Wear what you like and ride safe!

Old 06-12-2015 | 08:53 PM
          TXScorpion
          Cruiser

I was riding just this past Monday out to get a new tattoo and managed to ride through a swarm of bees.
          Windshield caught some, face shield caught a bunch.
          I dont really wanna think about a face full of pissed off bumblebees thank you very much.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?