Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015 | 12:27 PM
          DavidStiebel
          Road Warrior
          Cool

Originally Posted by willy215
          In 2013, I hit pavement cheek first at 65mph. I then rolled several times and hit my chin a couple of times. I was wearing a full face helmet. If it wasn't for some pieces missing from my arm, I would have walked away. I won't ride under any circumstances without a full face. If someone says something about my helmet, I show them my arm and tell them my story.
          Hey, glad your ok, we all take spills.

Old 02-20-2015 | 01:42 PM
          sccstu7
          Novice

I never ride my harley without a full face (I like shoei right now). I have had several instances of stopping behind a car at a red light and as the car accelerates they kick up a rock and hurl it at my face (luckily I always have my full face with the shield at least most of the way down, depends on the heat) and every time it has hit my shield and saved my face. Could you imagine the damage it would do to your eye? Im not sure why people ride without full faces, its not a very smart thing to do.

Old 02-21-2015 | 09:04 AM
          Schoondog
          Cruiser
          Default Attgatt

As an instructor I will tell you All The Gear All The Time. As for which helmet to use? Well I would refer to an old wise person that once told me "Only expose as much skin as you are willing to lose". I will wear a half helmet while instructing a class for speaking purposes and also during parades (I ride with the American Legion Riders). When I am on public highway I rarely but sometimes will wear a 3/4 helmet usually prefer a Full face especially if I will be on a highway or at speeds above 35-45.

From what I am seeing and reading in this post it comes down to you. Wear what you want regardless of what others tell you as long as it is within the law.

Old 02-21-2015 | 12:08 PM
          lh4x4
          Extreme HDF Member

I started riding in March of 1956 and until a couple of weeks ago never had an accident on a bike. Since retiring I do many 30K miles/yr.

I am a dedicated defensive driver and have avoided multiple hazards each year from vehicles turning left, pulling out from a stop sign ( even a state trooper).

However when I was going through a T intersection that I was past the lane an elderly lady ran the sign but should have missed me except she cut the corner and hit me. Zero time to react when she turned into me at only 10 feet away.

I was broadsided and pushed down the street a bit because she was slow to react. I was in a high vis 3/4 coat and rain pants. Full faced helmet and heavy boots and gloves. I bounced off of her grill and hit my head on the hood. With the five layers of insulated gear (it was 20 degrees out) I did not suffer even a bruise. I did cuss a lot and the face shield fogged up heavily.

I always am geared up even in the middle of a summers day in Death Valley.
          Name:  195.jpg
Views: 1414
Size:  100.3 KB

Without the gear there is no question that I would have been hurt.

Wear what ever you want. I will always be equipped to make the trip back home.

Last edited by lh4x4; 02-23-2015 at 08:48 PM.
          Old 02-21-2015 | 02:57 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

I figure for every accident there are a million rides without one. I think wearing a helmet takes away from the riding experience. If its cold i will wear a FF but when its in the heat of summer i will either wear a 1/2 or 3/4 or sometimes i just don't wear anything. Would you wear a FF helmet on a roller coaster? Thats how i liken the thrill of a free feeling ride when you are head in the wind.

How many times as a kid did you wipe out hit your head on the pavement get up. I have a hair line skull fracture from a 12 foot fall on my head. I didn't even suffer a concussion. Oh yeah i was lucky thats for sure.

The reality is not everybody will be involved in a motorcycle accident. Knock on wood i've been on two wheels since around 1981 without an incident. Riding isn't safe, drinking isn't safe and life in general isn't safe. People die for no reason every day.

This post is in all actually a place for people to try and justify why they wear and get acceptance from other wearers. How about all the HD riders that drive baggers. I'll tell you this your not going to be able to pull off a evasive maneuver in the same way a Sportster rider can. You choose to ride a half ton two wheeler. Your not going to keep it up in any sort of slide like i have. That in itself amazes me yet look at all the baggers on the road.

Helmets save lives but so does not riding a motorcycle at all. Risk is assumed and relative. I ride because i love to. I drink bourbon because i like to. Both might kill me but until that happens i will ride how i like to. Sorry i don't live life based on what if's. What if's kill or destroy more people than motorcycle accidents.

Old 02-21-2015 | 04:17 PM
          PTSDBob
          Road Captain

Last edited by PTSDBob; 02-21-2015 at 04:19 PM.
          Old 02-21-2015 | 06:14 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
          I figure for every accident there are a million rides without one. I think wearing a helmet takes away from the riding experience. If its cold i will wear a FF but when its in the heat of summer i will either wear a 1/2 or 3/4 or sometimes i just don't wear anything. Would you wear a FF helmet on a roller coaster? Thats how i liken the thrill of a free feeling ride when you are head in the wind.....

Helmets save lives but so does not riding a motorcycle at all. Risk is assumed and relative. I ride because i love to. I drink bourbon because i like to. Both might kill me but until that happens i will ride how i like to. Sorry i don't live life based on what if's. What if's kill or destroy more people than motorcycle accidents.
          Two comments about your post:

1. While riding a roller coaster, the rider is somewhat strapped in(protected). apples and oranges

2. Almost everything else in your post makes sense except your mention of "kill me". Death is unimportant, IMO. Once a rider is dead he/she will never know it. It's your opinion /choice, but I hope you understand that your 'love to ride' can come to an abrupt halt if you ever take an otherwise, except for bouncing your head off something solid, minor spill. Sometimes it can mean choosing between a few minutes/hours of enduring the 'agony' of wearing a helmet vs. 'living' every second for the rest of your life with a head injury.

Also FYI, I find it cooler, as long as you are moving, to wear a FF helmet here in the desert heat then to just stand outside in the heat.

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 02-22-2015 at 11:35 AM.
          Old 02-22-2015 | 11:30 AM
          blacksheep508
          6th Gear

I worked at a Harley shop in a no helmet law state and almost all the guys who ride daily wear full face helmets. I went from a 3/4 to a ff about a year ago and will never go back.

Old 02-24-2015 | 05:32 AM
          Delnorin
          Cruiser

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Sup guys. I recently bought a '10 Iron 883 and have put about 250 miles on this summer. Its my first bike and my first time ever on a motorcycle. I took all my safety classes and got my license so Ive been taking the necessary steps to become a responsible owner. Ive done a few mods, including drag bars, new seat, pegs etc. The bike looks wicked and people can't believe its a harley and I get tons of compliments.

I wear an Icon SSR full face helmet thats flat black to match the bike. Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets". Im new to the whole culture but I understand it. Ive seen guys wearing vanity helmets that are not DOT approved and they do look cool but I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?
          Now I'm worried I'm going to run mine into the ground before I get her paid off. 2 months ago I picked up a 2015 H-D Iron 883. Had 6 miles on it. In two months I now have over 2,000 miles on it.

I'd better slow down!

Old 03-01-2015 | 07:05 PM
          wxmcpo
          Tourer

We all assume some level of risk simply by riding a motorcycle and you may or may not ever be involved in a motorcycle accident. I totally trust my riding skills and abilities and am always in control of my actions on the bike. However, because I don't always trust those on the road with me and I cannot control their actions, I choose to ride with all of my PPE and in the early morning and evening hours that sometimes includes riding with a reflective vest over my rising jacket. I hope that PPE never has to save me in the event of an accident, but I'll be glad I had it if it's ever called upon. It's like insurance. You may not always need it, but you sure are happy to have it when you do.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?