Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015 | 04:33 AM
          mike hawk
          Cruiser

Funny thing is... Most of the riders that crash are all geared up!

I ride solo now, because too many riders think they know more than they do. They become judgemental.

Old 02-17-2015 | 07:26 AM
          xteen
          5th Gear

+1 on a full face helmet.

Old 02-17-2015 | 01:42 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mike hawk
          If I want to ride without a piece of **** plastic lid on my head, that is my ****ing business.

Too many people have family, or are "Good Christians" that love to dictate.

I have no family, and Jesus can go **** himself. If I'm gone, the world would be better off, and not one **** would be given.
          Your post is very 'MACHO', and correct, except....

Some people claim, in their attempt to prove a helmet a helmet isn't needed, their head 'never hit the ground' during an accident. So at one end of the scale, a head will never hit something solid, and a helmet wouldn't matter during a accident. At the other head of the scale, rider's that are involved in an accident may have their head pop like a grape under a boot. Or they may receive a head(brain) injury even if they are wearing a helmet. So logically, the result of most accidents will lie somewhere in the middle of these two extremes.

And any resulting head(brain) injury caused by a blow to a, helmetless or helmeted, head may also result in a range of possible damage. At one, the lower, end of a scale a rider may receive no injury, or perhaps a slight headache. At the other end of the scale the rider may find himself alert but unable to express that and instead spends his 'life' in a comatose state, or confined to a wheelchair, held up by a bed sheet tied around his chest, with a string of spittle hanging from his chest down into his lap. Again logically, most head(brain) injuries fall somewhere in the middle.That may mean physical, and mental, changes that mean a need to find a new way to support ones self. As well as possible changes to almost every aspect of life depending on what the rider is, or isn't, able to do anymore.

It doesn't matter to me if you do, or don't, wear a helmet. Just remember that in any battle with a head injury, the head injury wins. It doesn't matter how 'bad' a person us, the only variable is the margin of victory by the head injury.

40 years ago I saw a motorcycle accident as a way to 'leave' an unhappy life, but I found out, the hard way, that is not a sure thing.

Do what you want, just don't depend on a motorcycle accident, that results in a head injury, as being a sure way out. Sometimes that only opens you up to a 'life' worse then can be imagined in your worst nightmare. If you really feel, strongly, that " If I'm gone, the world would be better off, and not one **** would be given". I suggest you take a more direct, and sure, direction then a motorcycle accident.

Or you could hang around long enough to have a change of heart.

EDIT- I just read your posts, in another thread, about how unhappy you are. Having been there, done that, I promise you that 'living' with a head injury just makes things worse.

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 02-18-2015 at 12:31 AM.
          Old 02-17-2015 | 01:49 PM
          grbrown
          Club Member
          Red face

I'm reminded of a discussion I was in with a group of friends, when seat belts were about to be made compulsory. One of them argued against them because in the one accident he had been involved in he was thrown through the windshield, after the glass had popped out, while the car was rolling. He reckoned that if he had been wearing a seat belt he might have been injured, instead of walking away. Sounds like Russian roulette to me - or riding a bike without a helmet.

Each to their own.......

Old 02-18-2015 | 12:20 PM
          Super Glidester
          Seasoned HDF Member
          Veteran: Air Force

I have a couple of helmets. I have full face, and a half helmet. I usually never ride without headgear. I wear prescription glasses and have prescription riding glasses/sunglasses for the half helmet. I wear my full face when I wear my regular everyday glasses. I switch back and forth whenever the mood strikes.

Old 02-18-2015 | 03:28 PM
          willy215
          6th Gear

In 2013, I hit pavement cheek first at 65mph. I then rolled several times and hit my chin a couple of times. I was wearing a full face helmet. If it wasn't for some pieces missing from my arm, I would have walked away. I won't ride under any circumstances without a full face. If someone says something about my helmet, I show them my arm and tell them my story.

Old 02-18-2015 | 03:31 PM
          PSU
          Road Master

Wear whatever you want to wear brother.

I wear my full face in the winter/colder months.

Old 02-18-2015 | 08:38 PM
          jesse8931
          Advanced

I believe in choice but all these non helmet wearing people have caused my insurance to double there insurance should double not mine.

Last year a guy hit a stick on the highway hit his head and that was the end of him.

I'll stick to my full face...

Old 02-19-2015 | 09:33 AM
          xteen
          5th Gear

I'm 72, so I think I need a lot of protection for these old bones and my pretty face. This is my typical summer attire: perforated leather jacket with armor, full face helmet (Nolan N104). I wear even heavier gear in the winter.
          Bottom line is wear whatever you're comfortable in.

Old 02-19-2015 | 12:25 PM
          DavidStiebel
          Road Warrior
          Cool

Originally Posted by PSU
          Wear whatever you want to wear brother.
          I wear my full face in the winter/colder months.
          Now this actually makes sense, when its cold stay inside.

For me I said it before and I'll say it again,
          I would rather not wear a helmet, but the law say I must. so I do.
          In the winter month (Israel) I ride with a 3/4 and plastic shield.
          In summer (Its 110 F) I wear a 1/2 or 3/4 but the heat makes it very uncomfortable, some places its like a blow torch or riding through an oven BUT THE LAW SAYS . . .

I dont ride my 1200 like I stole it cause I like my ride too much to trash it.

Cheers / prost!

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?