Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014 | 02:01 AM
          08SGlide
          5th Gear

I say let all choose what he wears. Personally I have bounced off the ground twice and prefer to wear a full coverage lid. My choice……..Just saying…...

Old 07-13-2014 | 11:18 AM
          traffic jam
          Road Warrior

I live in Central Ohio and many people wear full face helmets - including Harley riders.

But, to each his own. I prefer full face. I was riding with my friend and he also rides a Harley but does not wear a helmet. We were riding along and he motioned me to pull over. He had been hit in the head by a pebble a car threw up and wanted to know if he was bleeding. He wasn't but had a nice bump.

The next ride we went on, he had his Harley full face on

Old 07-13-2014 | 12:57 PM
          CORNDOGG48
          Novice

I won't wear a helmet without a face shield. First time I got hit in the face by a grasshopper while doing 60mph was the last time.

Old 07-14-2014 | 01:00 AM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Krieg
          The USA. Home of the free. Do what the F you want. Live with the consequences. As long as you don't expect anyone else to pay for your bad choices... who the F cares what you do... or what anyone thinks?

This is a stupid thread.
          Right because everyone else pays for someone's stupid choices.

Make a DOT-helmet only for medical coverage and see how many start wearing helmets.

Old 07-14-2014 | 04:42 PM
          Yo2slick
          Novice

I wear an Icon Alliance Harbinger FF helmet. I love it!!! Very comfortable and great airflow plus it has some sick graphics on it. Swapped the clear shield for a mirror shield. I dont care what anyone else thinks, I prefer a FF helmet when riding any motorcycle. As well as the rest of my gear.

Last edited by Yo2slick; 07-14-2014 at 04:47 PM.
          Old 07-14-2014 | 04:51 PM
          NooneOfConsequence
          Cruiser

Originally Posted by Yo2slick
          I wear an Icon Alliance Harbinger FF helmet. I love it!!! Very comfortable and great airflow plus it has some sick graphics on it. Swapped the clear shield for a mirror shield. I dont care what anyone else thinks, I prefer a FF helmet when riding any motorcycle. As well as the rest of my gear.

I have that same helmet in a different graphics set. It is indeed a fine lid with good airflow and EXCELLENT visibility. After 2 years of CONSTANT use (I never ride without it) it's held up fantastic. I'd buy one again in a second.

I'm fairly convinced that anyone who says they can't find a comfortable helmet or one that doesn't block their peripheral vision simply isn't looking. My sunglasses block more of my vision than this thing and for my "long oval" head this helmet is about as comfortable as a ball-cap.

Last edited by NooneOfConsequence; 07-14-2014 at 04:56 PM.
          Old 07-15-2014 | 06:07 AM
          eleutheros
          Road Master
          Cool

"real harley owners dont wear full face helmets" comes from old school thinking/acting. Plenty of people still say or think that. “I wear a full face. Why would anyone consider anything less safe?” There is no end to the playoff. There’s no reasoning that’ll win over the other side.
          1. Everyone is correct in their opinion of the facts/stats/truth (however much incomplete or twisted), sometimes (and best) supported by their own proof/experience. Those without proof/experience, stating only ‘common sense’, or ‘it’s obvious’, or ‘I don’t want to support someone else’s (supposedly) bad choices’, simply hurt the sport.
          2. Everyone is correct, whether saying ff saves the most lives, training/experience & no helmet saves more lives, or anything in between. There is no study evaluating how many accident lives could have been saved by a ff, or how many accidents a ff contributed to whether before or after, or how many accidents were avoided because of training/experience & no helmet.
          3. If you say you don’t care what others do (wear), it’s an incomplete statement. Either you don’t care what others do but you are fine with whatever restricting laws they make, or you don’t care what others do but you are against restricting laws.
          4. If you’re insistent that everyone should wear a helmet, you’re hurting the sport by promoting unjustified/unreasonable/unproven demands on part of the reason the sport exists, and ignoring or even hurting the rights/desires/enjoyment of a significant percentage of your own group.
          There are levels of safety. Hopefully you still have a choice where you live. Foolishness: different subject.
          The price of insurance would not go down if ff was the law. Pro racing is constantly pushing the edge of safety by design; no comparison.
          I’ve read every study I can get my hand on, from Hurt on. The worst is NHTSA and CDC, who have the most influence on our laws. They both just use stats without any analysis. The real studies that do separate the data don’t consider pertinent directly associated side issues. Even the new ones they are considering won't do that.

Old 07-15-2014 | 07:49 AM
          RickRock
          Cruiser

I'm with corndog. I have many bug spats on my face shield, glad it wasn't my face, or worse, my eyeballs. I have 3 helmets and prefer to always ride with the shield. I tried riding with a half helmet and foam lined sunglasses, but over 50 mph, the water streams from eyes and causes momentary visibility loss. We are not required to wear a helmet here, and over half I see do not. I wonder how they see with no eye protection. I have been tempted when its humid and 90* to forego the leather and the helmet, but I prefer to be protected, knowing a big bug won't mess with my cruising happily down the road. I get at least one good splat, or "thunk" on every ride.

The only issue I have with covering the whole head is when an emergency vehicle comes up from behind. I can hear something, sometimes, but it doesn't sound as clear as when driving in cage with windows down. The sound gets reflected and only comes in from front (or the tiny vents), creating an audio illusion of sorts. Its is only partially and intermittently heard, with no sense of its directional origin. This definitely shortens my response time to pull over. Most of the time; my best clue that something out of the ordinary is happening is visually seeing vehicles in front of me pulling over. So I can respect this as a valid point to argue in favor of non-helmet riding as being safer. Being totally aware of your surroundings at all times is key to riding safe. I'll keep my helmet on because the splatted bugs outnumber the emergency vehicles encountered in my riding adventures.

I doesn't matter what everybody else wants to wear or not wear. Most of us wave to each other, knowing we are enjoying our rides, and that apparently is what really counts.

Old 02-09-2015 | 03:16 PM
          justmealwatts
          Cruiser

Shoei RF 1100

Old 02-13-2015 | 10:34 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by eleutheros
          4. If you’re insistent that everyone should wear a helmet, you’re hurting the sport by promoting unjustified/unreasonable/unproven demands on part of the reason the sport exists, and ignoring or even hurting the rights/desires/enjoyment of a significant percentage of your own group.
          No more so than wearing a seatbelt hurts enthusiast drivers or track day participants.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?