Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014 | 08:39 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
          There is nothing like riding free in the wind without a care.
          I agree those few minutes, of freedom, are sure better then 'living' every second for the rest of your life with the results of a head injury. Even riding "free in the wind without a care", while wearing a helmet, is better then 'living' with the results of a head injury.

Old 07-08-2014 | 08:56 PM
          crawrj
          Tourer

First of all I agree with the majority opinion here. As long as you are happy screw what anyone else thinks.

I am a brand new Harley owner and I could care less what anyone thinks about my sportster, how I ride it (other than positive input for a new owner) or what I wear. The person I bought the bike from gave me his half helmet to use. I immediately ordered a full face modular helmet. I would prefer to never use a helmet but that just isn't safe. And my family is way too important for me to risk it.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-09-2014 | 11:12 AM
          technine03
          Stage I
          Default who cares what others think

Caring about what those fools think about you is giving too much of yourself...
          I am a HD technician, and I wear a full face. in a crash, 25% of the helmet is damaged on the chin area

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Sup guys. I recently bought a '10 Iron 883 and have put about 250 miles on this summer. Its my first bike and my first time ever on a motorcycle. I took all my safety classes and got my license so Ive been taking the necessary steps to become a responsible owner. Ive done a few mods, including drag bars, new seat, pegs etc. The bike looks wicked and people can't believe its a harley and I get tons of compliments.

I wear an Icon SSR full face helmet thats flat black to match the bike. Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets". Im new to the whole culture but I understand it. Ive seen guys wearing vanity helmets that are not DOT approved and they do look cool but I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?

Old 07-10-2014 | 08:46 AM
          Bonesaw McGraw
          5th Gear

First time Harley owner (and first post). Been using a FF helmet for as long as ive been riding, Triumphs and Hondas mostly, and not planning to change on my Sportster. True it may not save your life in a major crash but i cant imagine riding without it.

Its ok if some dont consider me a 'real rider' with it, ill get over it .

Old 07-10-2014 | 02:42 PM
          ofishbein
          Advanced

I wear a full-face helmet, but I understand others maybe not wanting to wear a helmet at all.

My position is libertarian - you should have the freedom to take the personal risks you want, but you have the responsibility to live with any consequences. I've jumped out of airplanes knowing that if my chute failed, I would probably die - but I was willing to take the risk for that particular thrill. My life, my choice. In this case, I'm willing to put up with less wind-in-the-face in exchange for better protection against other drivers who might do something stupid.

Old 07-11-2014 | 09:33 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
          Ohio is a non wear state and i can't recall a single locally reported accident or fatality of helmeted or not all season.

I'd say 9.9 out of 10 riders in Ohio don't wear and we're not leading the statistics game in head injuries or fatalities by any means.

. There is nothing like riding free in the wind without a care.
          Considering your first statement, which implies accidents don't happen, or you just don't know, has nothing to do with your 2nd statement. Do you have statistics?

I wear a FF and ride free in the wind protected.

Originally Posted by rjg883c
          I agree those few minutes, of freedom, are sure better then 'living' every second for the rest of your life with the results of a head injury. Even riding "free in the wind without a care", while wearing a helmet, is better then 'living' with the results of a head injury.
          Lets keep this simple; death, disabled, injured or uninjured can occur with or without a helmet. But a helmet reduces the likelihood and/or severity of the first 3. That is undisputable, and you can still "ride free in the wind."

Old 07-11-2014 | 10:59 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          Lets keep this simple; death, disabled, injured or uninjured can occur with or without a helmet. But a helmet reduces the likelihood and/or severity of the first 3. That is undisputable, and you can still "ride free in the wind."
          I believe that was, always is, my point.

Old 07-12-2014 | 02:40 AM
          drcd60
          6th Gear

Agree with Doc 4545
          Real harley riders - where do you get your official membership ID card and decoder ring for THAT club?
          Full face mask is better than getting hit in the face by a pebble or bug at 65, or construction dirt at 35
          Full DOT helmets? I like my brainstem so I protect it.
          Wannabe bikers bug me

Old 07-12-2014 | 07:58 PM
          Krieg
          Cruiser

The USA. Home of the free. Do what the F you want. Live with the consequences. As long as you don't expect anyone else to pay for your bad choices... who the F cares what you do... or what anyone thinks?

This is a stupid thread.

Last edited by Krieg; 07-12-2014 at 08:00 PM.
          Old 07-13-2014 | 12:50 AM
          designo
          6th Gear

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets".
          Tell this "someone" that the next time you want his opinion, you'll ask for it! Until then, he can keep it to himself and go about his way.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?