Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014 | 12:51 PM
          sandho
          5th Gear

you're not a "real harley rider" if you listen to what other people say (when you know in your hear its' STUPID).

Old 06-30-2014 | 01:14 PM
          eXs FireCat
          Cruiser

I prefer no helmet, I drive in the states so I can. Stupid Canadian laws.... Heard a rumor that there making a law to wear full helmets only, arms fully covered, and legs...

I own a Zeus half helmet (perfect for a long oval head shape), and a Icon Dark Alliance for those long hauls and just incase they pass that law

Old 07-01-2014 | 01:03 AM
          rdunnill
          Tourer

Originally Posted by insertname
          Damn, well that pretty much sums it up for me. Thinking modular.
          I'm liking my new modular lid.

Old 07-01-2014 | 07:24 AM
          shackdaddy
          Cruiser

I currently ride with an Icon Alliance full face. Its pretty comfortable and breaths well. The best part is the face shield. Ive never had any issues with it fogging in any sort of weather. I also have a half helmet that I will wear every now and then for little trips here or there. I wont lie, when I first got my bike I bought the half helmet because that is what I thought of as the Harley "look". After a little research I saw the statistics for head impacts during a motorcycle crash and roughly 60% of impacts were on areas of the head that are uncovered by the half helmet. After multiple concusions/TBIs due to the Army, I want to make sure my head is protected as best as possible when some 87 year old lady decides to pull out or turn left from the right lane I can hopefully walk away.

Old 07-08-2014 | 12:55 AM
          rdunnill
          Tourer

While riding in the Sierra mountains last weekend, what appears to have been a bat smacked into my helmet visor. Glasses or not, a bat smacking into your face at 55 mph is going to cause a serious injury, if not a crash.

Old 07-08-2014 | 02:26 AM
          oscardog1
          Advanced

I went under a 40ft truck on a day when I decided to wear a ff because it was raining, If I was wearing my open face I would have had my face ripped off, the front of the ff was smashed but it still protected me from the impact as the truck went over me. FF or open, your call.

Old 07-08-2014 | 09:26 AM
          Mikey2274
          Cruiser

if Harley owners cared what others thought...we'd probably be on Hondas! It's all about the induvidualism. Go your own way and blaze your own path!

Old 07-08-2014 | 05:59 PM
          NooneOfConsequence
          Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mikey2274
          if Harley owners cared what others thought...we'd probably be on Hondas! It's all about the induvidualism. Go your own way and blaze your own path!

Oh man, the irony in this post is just about too much.

Old 07-08-2014 | 06:51 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by oscardog1
          I went under a 40ft truck on a day when I decided to wear a ff because it was raining, If I was wearing my open face I would have had my face ripped off, the front of the ff was smashed but it still protected me from the impact as the truck went over me. FF or open, your call.
          A 14 year old died when a tree fell on his house trailer the other day during a thunderstorm a few days ago. If he wasn't living there he would of survived. That's the things with odds. Nobody has any control over them. I'm glad your situation turned out ok but to sell that as a normal result is much like playing the lotto. Ohio is a non wear state and i can't recall a single locally reported accident or fatality of helmeted or not all season. I'm not against helmets. Sometimes i wear, sometimes i don't and i'm good with that. I prefer the riding experience without vs with to be honest. I've been ran over by two cars but i don't tell people to never cross the street.

I'd say 9.9 out of 10 riders in Ohio don't wear and we're not leading the statistics game in head injuries or fatalities by any means. I guess all Ohioans who ride or are riders are irresponsible right? I don't think so. They are doing what they love riding a 2 wheeler the way they like to. There is nothing like riding free in the wind without a care.

Old 07-08-2014 | 08:27 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
          Ohio is a non wear state and i can't recall a single locally reported accident or fatality of helmeted or not all season.
          Nevada is a helmet state. It is not unusual to read about 1 or 2 accidents, that result in death, a week here in Vegas. So helmets are not going to prevent all, deaths.

I sometimes wonder how many accidents, after which a helmeted rider is able to get up and ride or at least walk away, never gets reported. It would be interesting, but impossible to know, how many head injuries are prevented by a helmet?

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?