Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014 | 03:28 PM
          billatstarbrite
          Road Captain

I'm seriously considering a hi-viz FF. I know I want a FF when I do the Baja run in November, but I'm thinking it'd be smart to start wearing it now, too.

Old 06-20-2014 | 03:49 PM
          Krieg
          Cruiser

Without a doubt the stupidest post (original post) I've ever seen on any internet forum since Al Gore invented the internet... and I'm older than Al Gore.

Old 06-20-2014 | 05:03 PM
          bfd70
          Cruiser

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Sup guys. I recently bought a '10 Iron 883 and have put about 250 miles on this summer. Its my first bike and my first time ever on a motorcycle. I took all my safety classes and got my license so Ive been taking the necessary steps to become a responsible owner. Ive done a few mods, including drag bars, new seat, pegs etc. The bike looks wicked and people can't believe its a harley and I get tons of compliments.

I wear an Icon SSR full face helmet thats flat black to match the bike. Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets". Im new to the whole culture but I understand it. Ive seen guys wearing vanity helmets that are not DOT approved and they do look cool but I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and
          gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?
          What are you, seven years old? You are the butt of jokes because you ask other guys how you should dress.

Old 06-20-2014 | 07:20 PM
          inswva
          Road Master

n/m...

Last edited by inswva; 06-20-2014 at 07:32 PM.
          Old 06-20-2014 | 08:06 PM
          cvaria
          Supporter

Originally Posted by bfd70
          What are you, seven years old? You are the butt of jokes because you ask other guys how you should dress.
          really harley owners don't wear condoms

Old 06-26-2014 | 01:17 AM
          insertname
          Cruiser

been searching and reading along ( man this is one long thread ) and I have a little input. some second hand some first.
          Admittedly I'm still between bikes ( damn banks) however I have a couple stories:
          In my dirt bikes days ( oh here we go, I know I know but still hear me out) I wouldn't be here with out my helmet taking the brunt of a pile of boulders. I was landing from a jump and misjudged my flight time and landed in a rut that launched me into said pile. I still recall watching my bike roll behind me then BAM I got my bell run pretty hard - cracked the helmet. That was a off road with goggles type helmet - the same one a June bug made its way though and nailed me right in the forehead, a few months before. Just about took me off the bike, left a nasty welt. those things hurt man . So I appreciate the benefits of a face shield of any kind .

When I was a kid my dad and I where out on his chopper and got nailed from behind by a drunk driver helmets did diddly squat in that situation.

now to the second hand part: My mother ( yeah yeah - you done? ) was out with he BF at the time one their way to Mardi Gras when a minivan swapped lanes too them out. She was riding b-err in the back, and when the went down it said the helm got caught up on something spun her neck. She was in traction for months. Her spinal cord didn't get severed - it was pinched severely - so much so that any more would have been it. However she maintains that they went down so hard, if she didn't have one, it would have been scrambled eggs ala blacktop. IIRC the helmet was a 3/4 and was trashed bad.

What ive taken away form all this is wear what is appropriate for the ride and the skill at which you can do it, but understand some times sh** happens and just be the best prepared you can - or want to be.
          preaching to the choir but still love these forums. I've learned a lot and remembered what I had forgot.
          Thanks for the clue.

edited because I cant proof read fer crap

Last edited by insertname; 06-26-2014 at 01:20 AM.
          Old 06-26-2014 | 11:42 AM
          Poppanitrous
          Stage III

I live in DAYTONA FL, ive pulled a screaming wife off of her dying husband on US-1 on the way to PALM COAST. His face was almost ground off and was in a pool of blood from his face wounds. NO helmet,no gloves.
          If you youtube HARLEY WHEELIES, all the stunt guys wear FULL FACE and if you dont want someone throwing garbage out of their car into your face,or bees, or here in FLORIDA "love bugs" in your eyes/face, a full face helmet is very smart,as is a quality ballistic jacket (if leather is too hot), gauntlet gloves and boots.
          Smart people lead dont follow,be yourself.

Old 06-26-2014 | 03:18 PM
          insertname
          Cruiser

Originally Posted by Poppanitrous
          I live in DAYTONA FL, ive pulled a screaming wife off of her dying husband on US-1 on the way to PALM COAST. His face was almost ground off and was in a pool of blood from his face wounds. NO helmet,no gloves.
          If you youtube HARLEY WHEELIES, all the stunt guys wear FULL FACE and if you dont want someone throwing garbage out of their car into your face,or bees, or here in FLORIDA "love bugs" in your eyes/face, a full face helmet is very smart,as is a quality ballistic jacket (if leather is too hot), gauntlet gloves and boots.
          Damn, well that pretty much sums it up for me. Thinking modular.

Old 06-26-2014 | 04:02 PM
          PeteF
          Road Captain

It's your head, wear what you want. I've seen a couple of Hells Angels in my area wearing full face helmets. I wonder if the guy who made the comment to you would tell those Hell Angels they're not real riders?

Old 06-26-2014 | 04:24 PM
          cHarley
          Club Member

Originally Posted by Poppanitrous
          WTF?
          You belong in a cage not on a bike.

Amateur hour........

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?