Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014 | 10:58 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
          For some reason some motorcyclists are obsessed with justification of safety gear and some are not. I personally ride because i love to. Its a greater pleasure to ride without followed by a half shell and FF as a last ditch choice. I ride behind a wind shield and rarely if ever get hit by a bug . I do wear ballistic safety eye wear that keeps the wind out of my eyes. I wear logging boots for ankle support because i do have to put my feet down every time i stop. I wear a vented HD textile jacket because it looks cool and its functional. I wear padded leather gloves for comfort. Nowhere did i say i wear this gear to protect me if i have the unfortunate event of going down.

People who choose to ride for pleasure are free spirited risk takers. I know that i could die in a bike or car accident or be severely injured everyday. I also know somebody will die in their sleep somewhere tonight and a perfectly healthy soul will die of a massive heart attack tomorrow. So you have several arguments in this debate. Will you be involved in a motorcycle accident? Will you be killed or suffer a TBI? Will a helmet save you or cause more injury or death because of it? Nobody with any certainty knows the answer. I sure don't
          You're so ridiculous. You could also slip on gravel, water, oil, hit your head and die. Or wear a helmet and get up and ride away. Big difference. I get maximum pleasure with a FF because it is an intelligent riding choice and I'm also protected from the elements. Or a rock, or a faceplant from 5ft in the air. See, unprotected and a head strike WILL be an injury. With a helmet, it may NOT be an injury. Plus the road rash aspect. Duh.

Do you question all the bicyclists who wear helmets too? They would just laugh and shake their heads at you. Unreal.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 05-26-2014 at 11:03 PM.
          Old 05-27-2014 | 08:34 AM
          subguy
          Road Master

Originally Posted by rjg883c
          ???????????????

My post you referenced actually supported your post.

Am I missing something? My post that brought this on merely states that since some riders are able to get up and leave after an accident, they aren't included in any records/statistics. Do you agree with that?

Another 'fact', now pay close attention, is that your previous post, in which you mentioned percentages for deaths/injuries, doesn't mention if the deaths/injuries were because of head injuries. Meaning they are, even if correct, irrelevant for this discussion.

What statements have I made that 'disregard the facts'?

Or what statements, that my family members died from cancer, 'set' you off?

RJG883C,

Sorry...my posts was meant for WILDON883R. You and I agree. I wasn't paying attention to who I was replying to. It was WILDON883R's comments on more riders die wearing helmets than not. I was debating that. Again sorry for getting you mixed up.

Old 05-27-2014 | 12:38 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by subguy
          RJG883C,

Sorry...my posts was meant for WILDON883R. You and I agree. I wasn't paying attention to who I was replying to. It was WILDON883R's comments on more riders die wearing helmets than not. I was debating that. Again sorry for getting you mixed up.
          No problem, I knew who you meant.

And kudos for being man enough to admit you made a mistake. Most people wouldn't do that.

Last edited by rjg883c; 05-27-2014 at 12:56 PM.
          Old 05-27-2014 | 03:53 PM
          ElBachatero1
          Novice

I also went through the same thing. I've been riding for 6 years and I've always used a full face riding a sportbike. Now that I got my first Harley I bought a half helmet and glasses. I think I'm going back to my full face Shoei lol.. Damn sand blowing in my face on the highway is no joke.

Old 05-28-2014 | 06:50 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          You're so ridiculous. You could also slip on gravel, water, oil, hit your head and die. Or wear a helmet and get up and ride away. Big difference. I get maximum pleasure with a FF because it is an intelligent riding choice and I'm also protected from the elements. Or a rock, or a faceplant from 5ft in the air. See, unprotected and a head strike WILL be an injury. With a helmet, it may NOT be an injury. Plus the road rash aspect. Duh.

Do you question all the bicyclists who wear helmets too? They would just laugh and shake their heads at you. Unreal.
          You could do that walking or jogging but you don't wear your helmet walking do you? The debate is not whether a helmet can protect you because it can. I got hit by a car when i was 15. I flew up 12 feet and landed on my head without brain injury just a hairline skull fracture. Luck probably. I had minor road rash on my cheek.

I've had my bikes get loose on me before. I planted a leg, kicked up and kept going. It's not about the possibility because there is always a chance in everything we do. I avoid town if it rained recently i go the back way to avoid oil slicks at intersections. People that live in cities don't have back ways.

Did you wear a helmet as a child when you jumped or did anything on a bicycle? Did you live. Did you snow ski or rollerblade without a helmet, wipe out and live? What makes a motorcycle higher risk then the above mentioned? Did you suffer major brain trauma when you head banged an opponent in HS or college football repeatedly? I didn't.

I have a windshield so rarely get hit from a bug, Ohio had 132 motorcycle fatalities in 2013. That means 132 lives lost by wearer and non. I suspect half of them died because of upper body trauma which is statistically proven.

My question to you is when its 85F plus do you wear a FF helmet, full racing leathers, gloves and boots? If you don't then your not providing the maximum protection for your survival and injury rates. Your being just as irresponsible as somebody that rides lid less. Anybody that wears less than everything is a hipocrit when pushing the safety agenda between choosing whether its safer to wear or not. It is possible to die from a infection developed from road rash. Likely no, entirely possible yes.

Sometime i wear one of my all 3 helmet types but most times i don't. 9 out of 10 here never wear be it male or female riders. FF i great in cold and rain. Most riders just ride because they love to and they love to ride in open air. People that drive convertible cars don’t wear helmets. They are far less safer then regular cars in a roll over. Try to sell them on helmet wear.

What i do know is that i ride harder and faster when I’m fully geared up then i do without. My risk factor goes up as does my risk of wiping out. I'm much more likely to be involved in an accident when am fully geared then when i'm just putting. Ride Safe

Old 05-28-2014 | 06:53 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ElBachatero1
          I also went through the same thing. I've been riding for 6 years and I've always used a full face riding a sportbike. Now that I got my first Harley I bought a half helmet and glasses. I think I'm going back to my full face Shoei lol.. Damn sand blowing in my face on the highway is no joke.
          Wind shield and goggles were fine when i lived out in Idaho, and New Mexico. I didn’t ride during sand storms I didn't drive a cage in sand storms either . Without a Wind Shield then FF is the best wind protection.

Old 05-28-2014 | 09:02 PM
          ib5150
          Elite HDF Member

OP Real Harley riders don't wear any helmet but then there are the rest of us that enjoy the ride and our lives...

Old 05-29-2014 | 12:52 AM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

You could do that walking or jogging but you don't wear your helmet walking do you?
          Because I'm not balanced on two wheels in traffic.

Did you wear a helmet as a child when you jumped or did anything on a bicycle? Did you live. Did you snow ski or rollerblade without a helmet, wipe out and live? What makes a motorcycle higher risk then the above mentioned?
          Actually a lot of people/kids DO wear helmets doing that now. To prevent injury. Higher risk is in traffic.

Did you suffer major brain trauma when you head banged an opponent in HS or college football repeatedly? I didn't.
          You might want to check on that. It can show up eventually....

My question to you is when its 85F plus do you wear a FF helmet, full racing leathers, gloves and boots? If you don't then your not providing the maximum protection for your survival and injury rates. Your being just as irresponsible as somebody that rides lid less.
          Not even comparable.

People that drive convertible cars don’t wear helmets. They are far less safer then regular cars in a roll over. Try to sell them on helmet wear.
          They are not balanced on two wheels. But a helmet is required on the track, car or bike. Gee why is that? And a convertible requires a roll bar...and they already have seat belts. A tip or roll over in a car is a lot less likely for a car vs. a bike, see?

What i do know is that i ride harder and faster when I’m fully geared up then i do without. My risk factor goes up as does my risk of wiping out. I'm much more likely to be involved in an accident when am fully geared then when i'm just putting.

No why is that? Not the brightest decision.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 05-29-2014 at 01:49 PM.
          Old 05-29-2014 | 04:55 AM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          Because I'm not balanced on two wheels in traffic.

Actually a lot of people/kids DO wear helmets doing that now. To prevent injury. Higher risk is in traffic.

You might want to check on that. It can show up eventually....

Not even comparable.

They are not balanced on two wheels. But a helmet is required on the track, car or bike. Gee why is that? And a convertible requires a roll bar...

No why is that? Not the brightest decision.
          None of your replies have any substance. You probably shouldn't ride because you seem to spend a lot of time worried about being injured while riding vs most people just being careful and most importantly loving to ride. Racers wear extreme safety gear and its warranted because its HIGH risk riding/driving. They get injured and killed frequently doing what they love but with all the risks you couldn't pull them from what they love for nothing. Your not balanced on a motorcycle? How do you ride then? Again its all about risk management and riding environment. With that being said accidents are just that. They happen. I wake up every day being thankful for my life understanding it could be my last day every day. That's the problem, living is about doing whatever you want every single day of your life. I just don't get people sometimes that don't have a clear focus of about what living life is about. You know kids enjoy life more than most adults do . They are reckless, having the fun , smiling all day long. Never stop being a kid. Ride safe.

Old 05-29-2014 | 01:47 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

None of your replies have any substance.
          My reply conveyed everything that was needed to convey.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?