Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014 | 09:45 PM
          speedmastermotor
          Cruiser

I wear a fullface helmet because here in Oregon its just to cold and rainey 5 months of the year to ride. The other 7 months are mostly cold and the bugs that hit you in the face are the size of small birds.
          I think I am real and my sportster was made by HD.

Old 05-25-2014 | 09:19 AM
          subguy
          Road Master

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
          Your debate is based on possibility as are most pro helmet advocates. From a probability fact more people die on motorcycles wearing a helmet they those to don't wear. Many medical professionals would state that they wished there mangled clients who would of died without a helmet are now in a vegetable state because they did wear.

I'm glad you think that one day your helmet may in fact save your life or prevent major head trauma or will it? The answer is you don't know and neither do i.
          I just looked up Helmet Use of Motorcyclists Killed and Injured on the OHIO Department of Public Safety website. The latest stats are from 2012.These are from the recorded accidents in Ohio.

Helmet used (in accidents) 2052 riders. Helmet not used (in accidents) 2623 riders. Helmeted riders 41 killed. Not Helmeted riders 121 killed. Helmeted riders 1610 injured. Not Helmeted riders 2036 injured.

The table shows that 25.2% of helmeted riders were killed. 74.2% of not helmeted riders were killed.

Stats from your State (Ohio) contradicts your saying that "From a probability fact more people die on motorcycles wearing a helmet they those to don't wear".

Could care less if you or anyone wear a helmet of not. I just think if you are going to argue a point, you should be able to back up your points with some kind of valid facts not speculations.

Old 05-25-2014 | 04:24 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by subguy
          I just looked up Helmet Use of Motorcyclists Killed and Injured on the OHIO Department of Public Safety website. The latest stats are from 2012.These are from the recorded accidents in Ohio.
          And nobody knows how many accidents weren't recorded because the rider was able to get up and walk/ride away.

Old 05-25-2014 | 04:39 PM
          Greezey Rider
          Ultimate HDF Member

I had a conversation with an ABATE guy a while back....It was pathetic!

The idiot told me that Most people that wear full face helmets are killed in a wreck because the helmets weigh so much.
          He went on to say that F/F helmets weigh between 5 and 20 pounds and that, that much weight was unacceptable for most people to have sitting on their heads.

I mentioned that I have never seen a 5 pound helmet and that they generally weigh about half that.
          He got louder and told me that I obviously had no idea what I was talking about.
          I turned my back to him and walked over to my bike, put on my F/F helmet and rode away.

You can't have an intelligent conversation with an imbecile.

ABATE....Always Bring Alcohol To Events

Old 05-25-2014 | 05:42 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

I found probably the best data statistic anywhere so i'll post the URL.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/mo...ts/motorcycles

Statistics are just that records. Does anybody live there life by what's happened to others? I sure don't. Wearing a helmet doesn't make a person smarter or a safer driver and that statistic will never be proven otherwise. Another statistic of the 100 or even 1000 riders you pass on the road you'd be lucky to find one on these forums who cared about any of our opinions because they are doing what they love.

People who try to calculate there potential demise probably shouldn't do anything risky. The variable is that seatbelts have saved and taken lives in the same way helmets have saved and in fact killed people who might of survived if they weren't wearing. Again the best piece of safety equipment is between your ears be it helmeted or not.

You can call me irresponsible but people eat fast food all the time, some wear a full face but smoke or drink alcohol. Breathing the air in a big city is much more of a life hazard than riding a bike. I have a FF helmet and its like riding in a cocoon. Its really not about a coolness factor its that awesome feel of sailing in the open wind. In Ohio you might see 1 in 100 riders that i pass with a helmet. They are living there lifes having fun making choices that are right for them.

I love being able to choose determined by what i consider my level of safety and not what others would like for me to do. I feel safe riding without where as some people do not. I ride with a wind shield and goggles all the time. If i was a high risk rider of a car or bike i of course would wear 100% My style of country/back road riding is not inherently high risk. Consider that most MC accidents are less than 2 miles from where you live and under 30mph. I live where our population of 1 house per 1/4 mile. I do have to drive into the city of a massive 11k population

This debate is pretty much a waste of time. One of my favorite quotes comes from Abraham Lincoln. "In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln The great part about being American is that if is i don't have to care about what others think. Ride safe.

Old 05-25-2014 | 06:14 PM
          Zanejjnelson1
          Cruiser

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
          I found probably the best data statistic anywhere so i'll post the URL.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/mo...ts/motorcycles

1.)Statistics are just that records. Does anybody live there life by what's happened to others? I sure don't. Wearing a helmet doesn't make a person smarter or a safer driver and that statistic will never be proven otherwise. Another statistic of the 100 or even 1000 riders you pass on the road you'd be lucky to find one on these forums who cared about any of our opinions because they are doing what they love.

1.)People who try to calculate there potential demise probably shouldn't do anything risky. The variable is that seatbelts have saved and taken lives in the same way helmets have saved and in fact killed people who might of survived if they weren't wearing. Again the best piece of safety equipment is between your ears be it helmeted or not.

1.)You can call me irresponsible but people eat fast food all the time, some wear a full face but smoke or drink alcohol. Breathing the air in a big city is much more of a life hazard than riding a bike. I have a FF helmet and its like riding in a cocoon. Its really not about a coolness factor its that awesome feel of sailing in the open wind. In Ohio you might see 1 in 100 riders that i pass with a helmet. They are living there lifes having fun making choices that are right for them.

1.)I love being able to choose determined by what i consider my level of safety and not what others would like for me to do. I feel safe riding without where as some people do not. I ride with a wind shield and goggles all the time. If i was a high risk rider of a car or bike i of course would wear 100% My style of country/back road riding is not inherently high risk. Consider that most MC accidents are less than 2 miles from where you live and under 30mph. I live where our population of 1 house per 1/4 mile. I do have to drive into the city of a massive 11k population

1.)This debate is pretty much a waste of time. One of my favorite quotes comes from Abraham Lincoln. "In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln The great part about being American is that if is i don't have to care about what others think. Ride safe.
          You're essentially arguing only 1 point on this topic, which is opinion based, and ignoring the literal statistics, which is based in facts.

1.) Each of these sections essentially boil down to freedom of choice to wear or not to wear a helmet and the idea that wearing one in someway makes life less free when riding. The fact that some people actually prefer to ride with one essentially negates the only real argument you seem to have with helmets. Unfortunately I don't believe this to be a valid argument either which way, though it is your opinion and you are entitled to it, helmets are designed to keep your head safe and succeed in doing so. This is fact, not opinion, just like the link you yourself posted helmets clearly serve the purpose they were intended for, the only true question when dealing with helmets then becomes, do helmets really make riders safer when in an accident?

Riding with a helmet does not equate to a less free or less enjoyable right, it may for you but thats your opinion. If you are indeed worried about people mooching off the system then people should wear helmets, medical bills are one of the largest growing debts Americans have that most commonly go unpaid. Your tax money is still going to give people free rides at the E.R. when they come in from having an accident either which way. Which still is not the debatable question we are referring to.

The real point is safety and you really have no other choice than to admit that when crashing, all factors being even, at 10 mph, 30 mph, or even 80 mph someone with a helmet compared to someone not wearing one, hitting their head on the road will result in less of an injury to their head, if any at all.

Being forced to where a helmet doesn't make someone a better, smarter, safer rider it literally only helps to reduce the chances of that person being injured in an accident. Which is what helmets are designed for safety. This is the only real, viable argument when discussing helmets because everything else is literally just opinions on what an individual likes. Being cool, or being free when you ride means nothing because at the end of the day your life is not effected in any negative manner when wearing a helmet. When you wake up in the morning you have the same rights as you did as when you put on your helmet, nothing gained or lost except for an increase chance of safety during an accident.

If you live in a state where these laws exist already than you still have the same rights that you did when you woke up, maybe that lack of choice sucks and somehow infringing on your "natural rights" but at the end of the day all this entire debate comes down to safety. All things being equal helmets are irrefutably more safe for the individual to wear when in an accident compared to not wearing a helmet.

Last edited by Zanejjnelson1; 05-25-2014 at 06:22 PM.
          Old 05-25-2014 | 06:30 PM
          subguy
          Road Master

Originally Posted by rjg883c
          And nobody knows how many accidents weren't recorded because the rider was able to get up and walk/ride away.
          So when presented with actual facts/statistics that's your answer...arguing an unknown? Come back when you actually have a lucid argument backed by something other than conjecture. So far you have presented nothing to back up your statements...nothing...again don't care if you or anyone wears a helmet...not arguing you should. I am arguing you have made a lot of statements and can't provide any validation for them other than feelings, conjecture, assumptions and disregard of facts...not a way to prove your points.

Old 05-25-2014 | 07:51 PM
          BlkSheep
          Tourer

Helmet used (in accidents) 2052 riders. Helmet not used (in accidents) 2623 riders. Helmeted riders 41 killed. Not Helmeted riders 121 killed. Helmeted riders 1610 injured. Not Helmeted riders 2036 injured.

The table shows that 25.2% of helmeted riders were killed. 74.2% of not helmeted riders were killed.

Stats from your State (Ohio) contradicts your saying that "From a probability fact more people die on motorcycles wearing a helmet they those to don't wear".

Could care less if you or anyone wear a helmet of not. I just think if you are going to argue a point, you should be able to back up your points with some kind of valid facts not speculations.
          Bad calculator? You should recheck the percentages you provided against the numbers you provided! Too funny!

If the percentages were that high for death, helmet use would be mandatory everywhere for sure! However, with those percentages there would be laws against riding bikes period!

Always verify your numbers.....

Btw.... This thread is retarded.... Everyone knows REAL MEN aren't judged by helmet usage.... It's by shoe size! Seriously!? Wtf!

Last edited by BlkSheep; 05-25-2014 at 07:54 PM.
          Old 05-25-2014 | 08:38 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

So when presented with actual facts/statistics that's your answer...arguing an unknown? Come back when you actually have a lucid argument backed by something other than conjecture. So far you have presented nothing to back up your statements...nothing...again don't care if you or anyone wears a helmet...not arguing you should. I am arguing you have made a lot of statements and can't provide any validation for them other than feelings, conjecture, assumptions and disregard of facts...not a way to prove your points.
          ???????????????

My post you referenced actually supported your post.

Am I missing something? My post that brought this on merely states that since some riders are able to get up and leave after an accident, they aren't included in any records/statistics. Do you agree with that?

Another 'fact', now pay close attention, is that your previous post, in which you mentioned percentages for deaths/injuries, doesn't mention if the deaths/injuries were because of head injuries. Meaning they are, even if correct, irrelevant for this discussion.

What statements have I made that 'disregard the facts'?

Or what statements, that my family members died from cancer, 'set' you off?

Last edited by rjg883c; 05-25-2014 at 11:48 PM.
          Old 05-25-2014 | 10:49 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
          I had a conversation with an ABATE guy a while back....It was pathetic!

The idiot told me that Most people that wear full face helmets are killed in a wreck because the helmets weigh so much.
          He went on to say that F/F helmets weigh between 5 and 20 pounds and that, that much weight was unacceptable for most people to have sitting on their heads.

I mentioned that I have never seen a 5 pound helmet and that they generally weigh about half that.
          He got louder and told me that I obviously had no idea what I was talking about.
          I turned my back to him and walked over to my bike, put on my F/F helmet and rode away.

You can't have an intelligent conversation with an imbecile.

ABATE....Always Bring Alcohol To Events
          When several of their members die helmetless, its hard to take them seriously. 20lb helmet, LMAO! A broken neck with a FF is so rare, unless you're belted to a seat and not wearing a HANS device.

Excellent post. Not to mention his "stat" of 1 in 100 wearing a helmet. What a load of crap. And "rural" roads. Like where wildlife may cross or infrequent traffic where a hazard may sit longer (like water, etc) than being dissipated by frequent traffic.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?