Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014 | 05:32 PM
          Zanejjnelson1
          Cruiser

I live in Florida, pro choice state for helmets. I personally have ridden with my helmet as well as without it. I entirely understand the more freedom debate but the point of this thread I really think is safety. Are you less likely to have a traumatic brain injury or death wearing a helmet v.s. not wearing a helmet? I think its fair to say that we all agree helmets do protect your head significantly better than riding without one.

Choice or lack thereof really shouldn't be the focus, protecting your head including the brain in it should be. Its nice to ride without one but we all know catching a bug to the face or even a pebble hurts. If you had a helmet on that wouldn't have hurt at all, your ears would face a less sharp exhaust tone saving your hearing as well, and keeping you more insulated from the elements. Helmets save lives.

If you get in an accident and end up as a vegetable even with a helmet that sucks big time, would you likely be totally dead without a helmet on? Probably. Smaller accidents you have a much better chance of standing up and walking away afterwards with a helmet compared to not. You don't see moto gp riders whining about not being allowed to ride with just goggles on do you? They lay their bikes down at speeds most of us likely wont ever hit and they all wear helmets and almost all thank God they had them and riding gear on.

Safety is what this discussion should focus on, not how the man is putting me down making me wear a helmet.

Also quick side note getting chemo sometime this week, waiting on insurance approval the scheduling the treatment.

Old 05-20-2014 | 01:53 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Zanejjnelson1

If you get in an accident and end up as a vegetable even with a helmet that sucks big time, would you likely be totally dead without a helmet on? Probably.
          I agree with your above post, except with the use of 'probably' in the part I quoted. And the reason is logical, and very simple.

Some people, in their attempt to show that a helmet doesn't always matter, claim their head never hit the ground. And this is believable. Some people do win lotteries, but most just tear up their losing tickets.

So, in the vast range between a head never hitting the ground and a head hitting the ground, and popping like a grape under a boot, there are an infinite number of variations of possible damage that can occur to a person's head/brain.

My point is that a person can't depend on "would you likely be totally dead without a helmet on? Probably". Sometimes, usually probably considering odds, the injury is much worse then death. IMO

Last edited by rjg883c; 05-20-2014 at 10:33 PM.
          Old 05-20-2014 | 02:40 PM
          J Backlund
          6th Gear

I look the same on my Sportster as I do on my ZX14 or Goldwing, either a gloss black HJC modular helmet or my Bell Revolver. My 'costume' is mine and not dictated by the brand of machine I ride.

Old 05-24-2014 | 08:19 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rjg883c
          How could this .058 percent figure possibly be known? Or even estimated?

How can anybody possibly know the number of miles/hours actually being ridden? Or how many riders have accidents? Not every accident involves authorities, or anyone, that keep count.

And even if it was known/estimated how many hours/miles are ridden, and divide that number by the number of reported acidents, there can be NO way of knowing how many riders 'go down' and are able to get up and ride, or at least walk, away because a helmet protected their head(brain) from a life changing event.

Only a lucky few die immediately, and is why IMO you shouldn't be concerned with death. Death is sometimes(usually?) the easy way out.

Don't you agree? If not, why not?
          In the same way it can't be known with the silly figure that people are trying to sell in this debate that you have a 37% better chance of surviving a potentially fatal motorcycle accident vs a non wearer. Most people who die in car crashes die from blunt force trauma to the head or body yet nobody in a cage wears a helmet or body armor. Why don't they? At best all we have is hope that a helmet might protect or save us in an accident. The greatest piece of safety equipment a rider can wear is between their ears and not what you wear over them. I've been wearing steel toed shoes for over 35 years and haven't smashed my toes yet . Your odds of acquiring heart disease in our lifetime or cancer is the same or greater of being involved in a motorcycle accident for what its worth. Getting out of bed is inherently dangerous. Plan accordingly

You said only a few die immediately. Thats speculation on your part.

Old 05-24-2014 | 08:47 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Zanejjnelson1
          I live in Florida, pro choice state for helmets. I personally have ridden with my helmet as well as without it. I entirely understand the more freedom debate but the point of this thread I really think is safety. Are you less likely to have a traumatic brain injury or death wearing a helmet v.s. not wearing a helmet? I think its fair to say that we all agree helmets do protect your head significantly better than riding without one.

Choice or lack thereof really shouldn't be the focus, protecting your head including the brain in it should be. Its nice to ride without one but we all know catching a bug to the face or even a pebble hurts. If you had a helmet on that wouldn't have hurt at all, your ears would face a less sharp exhaust tone saving your hearing as well, and keeping you more insulated from the elements. Helmets save lives.

If you get in an accident and end up as a vegetable even with a helmet that sucks big time, would you likely be totally dead without a helmet on? Probably. Smaller accidents you have a much better chance of standing up and walking away afterwards with a helmet compared to not. You don't see moto gp riders whining about not being allowed to ride with just goggles on do you? They lay their bikes down at speeds most of us likely wont ever hit and they all wear helmets and almost all thank God they had them and riding gear on.

Safety is what this discussion should focus on, not how the man is putting me down making me wear a helmet.

Also quick side note getting chemo sometime this week, waiting on insurance approval the scheduling the treatment.
          It won't be long before NFL football is touch instead of tackle It's obvious that the helmets are not preventing brain injuries in the long term by as many concussions that have occurred over the years. Boxers brains are cooked by all the blows they take but you know what boxers and full contact football will never go away. You referenced professional moto racers. They are high risk riders where the majority of us cruiser riders are not and these tracks are designed expecting riders to crash where as our riding element is not.. You really can't use professional road racers as being comparable when you reference safety.

Relatively few people choose to ride a motorcycle. Most that do are individualist that know how to enjoy life to the fullest day by day. Helmets save lives in the same way that condoms and air bags do. Wearing a helmet does not make for a safer or smarter rider ultimately. I don't think people get it. All these folks in Ohio riding without are smiling , having fun doing what they want without anybody interfering with choice at at over 50 i'm cool with that. Isn't it ironic that health care costs of some injured riders come up but its ok that they take my tax dollars to pay the bills of welfare recipients? I'd rather my taxes helped pay a persons medical bills then people on a free lunch ticket.

People would be better off focusing on the here and now vs focusing on possibilities. I wish you the best towards your health.

Old 05-24-2014 | 08:58 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
          At best all we have is hope that a helmet might protect or save us in an accident.

You said only a few die immediately. Thats speculation on your part.
          And your first point above means? That it is better to 'hope' for death or injury?

As for your second point, yes that is speculation on my part. Coupled with personal experience and observation. Would it more believable, on your part, to post "not everyone that receives a head injury dies immediately"?

Actually the "only a few die immediately" was based on the obvious result from there being many more points, on a person's skull/brain, that can cause 'merely' a brain injury as opposed to death . It is more scientific(odds) then speculation.

Last edited by rjg883c; 05-25-2014 at 08:32 AM.
          Old 05-24-2014 | 09:04 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

People would be better off focusing on the here and now vs focusing on possibilities.
          Unfortunately, possibilities sometimes become realities. Sometimes preparing for a possible future event is a good idea.

Do you live your life by the 'focus only on the here and now' in all aspects of your life?

Old 05-24-2014 | 09:09 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rjg883c
          This is a perfect example. My freaking point is that the odds of you becoming a vegetable, in the above scenario, would be greatly reduced if you have a helmet on. Don't you agree?

And no smartazz comments about slips/helmets in the shower please. That is not what this debate is about.

Get over your obsession with the importance of 'surviving an accident'. Would you 'love' what you are doing as much if you are doing it with a, possibly avoidable, head(brain) injury? It is ironic that you posted "I'm obsessed with living life one day at a time to its fullest", because 'living' with a head(brain) injury is not a life anywhere near it's 'fullest'.

Unfortunately this is something that has to be personally experienced to be really understood. And then, also unfortunately, it is too late to reconsider the value of a helmet.
          I've wrecked motorcycles before. Most were off road and one when i was drunk. My head never contacted the ground in any of these accidents. I've wrecked my bicycle as a kid , slammed my head on the ice. Jumped 15 foot dirt hills in jeans an tennis shoes, fell 12-14 feet landing on my head suffering a hairline skull fracture, Been hit by two cars, served in the U.S. military in countries where other brothers were murdered by terrorist yet i'm still freaking here. I love to drink beer and whiskey but you know what im strong as an ox and pretty freaking fit for somebody over 50. I could wake up tomorrow, suffer a massive heart attack and die but oh well. My life is to short to worry about anything.

Would you like to discuss risk with me any more? I'm not invincible but i am real.Your debate is based on possibility as are most pro helmet advocates. From a probability fact more people die on motorcycles wearing a helmet they those to don't wear. Many medical professionals would state that they wished there mangled clients who would of died without a helmet are now in a vegetable state because they did wear.

I'm glad you think that one day your helmet may in fact save your life or prevent major head trauma or will it? The answer is you don't know and neither do i.

Old 05-24-2014 | 09:17 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Helmets save lives in the same way that condoms and air bags do.
          Not exactly in the same way. So you are of the opinion that condoms and air bags aren't good either? Air bags may prevent a head(brain) injury, but condoms are for an entirely different purpose.

Of course since some STDs can affect the brain, you may have a point.

Never mind.

Old 05-24-2014 | 09:22 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

I've wrecked motorcycles before. Most were off road and one when i was drunk. My head never contacted the ground in any of these accidents. Would you like to discuss risk with me any more? I'm not invincible but i am real.Your debate is based on possibility as are most pro helmet advocates. From a probability fact more people die on motorcycles wearing a helmet they those to don't wear. Many medical professionals would state that they wished there mangled clients who would of died without a helmet are now in a vegetable state because they did wear.
          If your head "never contacted the ground", you don't have any idea how a helmet can help. Please post some links to the " Many medical professionals would state that they wished there mangled clients who would of died without a helmet are now in a vegetable state because they did wear".

Or just 1 link.

Either way, get over your obsession with death, it is NOT that important. And, again from personal experience and observation, I'll debate 'risk' with you. Again, do you live your life by the 'focus only on the here and now' in all aspects of your life?

Last edited by rjg883c; 05-25-2014 at 08:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?