Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014 | 12:59 AM
          Zanejjnelson1
          Cruiser

I'm screwed then im 24, just diagnosed with cancer AND I wear a helmet! Why do I even try!

The real point is why not wear a helmet? It literally only protects your head and does nothing to hurt you. To me it seems counter intuitive to not wear one, just increasing your odds of a more serious injury.

If it's just so ungodly got out and your manliness can protect your head then a helmet, wear your sunglasses and nothing else. Hopefully if you get in an accident its not serious and your fine but I would take my risks with a helmet.

Helmet laws are not the end of the world. If you have insurance I think it should be your choice, but there's no logical reason I can see for not wearing one.

Old 05-18-2014 | 01:17 AM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Zanejjnelson1
          I'm screwed then im 24, just diagnosed with cancer AND I wear a helmet! Why do I even try!
          Perhaps not. My mom lasted 11 years after her diagnosis of cancer. Of course she was already in her mid 70s at the time of diagnosis. My father had surgery to remove the cancer, and it worked, for a couple of years. He was in his mid 80s.

My sister was diagnosed in her early 50s. She wouldn't go back to a doctor and instead put her faith 'in the lord'. She passed in a couple of years.

This is off subject, but I don't want you to live your life thinking it may be over.

Old 05-18-2014 | 01:21 AM
          Xplosivedog
          Novice

This is an interesting, but pointless debate. In States that do not have helmet laws, it up to the individual to chose whether to wear a full face, 3/4, 1/2 helmet or none at all. To try to compare fatalities to something like cancer is reaching at best, in order to validate one's point to an argument. A person has no direct control whether they get cancer or not........as for choosing to wear a helmet, they have 100 percent control. The choice is theirs.

What I can say is that, as a deputy sheriff for the past 28 years, I have seen more severe injuries by bicycle, moped and motorcycle riders who were not wearing any headgear. Don't get me wrong, traveling at 80 MPH, weaving trough traffic and hitting a light pole........will probably kill you whether you're wearing a helmet or not. I'm talking about lower speed collisions or lay downs. I've peeled many people off of guard rails who high-sided that crashed at low to moderate speeds, where they would have walked away if their head was protected. All I'm saying is it's a personal choice.......don't put a stigma on something like wearing a helmet........some people would rather be safe, than just look cool. LOL!

Ride safe!

Old 05-18-2014 | 01:50 PM
          HarleyScuba
          Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by JohnGault
          A real biker is checking out your bike and your girl not your helmet
          Nice.

Old 05-18-2014 | 07:33 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Zanejjnelson1

The real point is why not wear a helmet? It literally only protects your head and does nothing to hurt you. To me it seems counter intuitive to not wear one, just increasing your odds of a more serious injury.

If it's just so ungodly got out and your manliness can protect your head then a helmet, wear your sunglasses and nothing else. Hopefully if you get in an accident its not serious and your fine but I would take my risks with a helmet.

Helmet laws are not the end of the world. If you have insurance I think it should be your choice, but there's no logical reason I can see for not wearing one.
          The reality of life is nothing you do in your life can ultimately make you live a day longer then your last day. Some people die at 20 and some people die at 100 and nobody has a say on what day will be yours. You may think you can but you can't. Perfectly healthy safety conscious citizens die every freaking day for no reason at all. I hope you live a very long life my friend.

There is no question that a helmet can protect you or leather pants or leather gloves yet you see riders in FF helmets with shorts and tennis shoes ironically There is also no promise that a helmet will protect you or save your life in an accident. I hate wearing a helmet although i do in cold weather. It's just not the same riding experience with a freaking bucket over your skull.

You said you see no logical reason for not wearing in the same way that if i plow into a cage at 70 at an intersection because i'm not paying attention do i expect to survive no matter what i'm wearing. In Ohio its not a manliness thing its called freedom of choice. If they told people tomorrow that i only had 2 weeks to live would anybody wear a helmet. Nobody that prefers to ride without would.

I don't ride with odds of an accident in mind. I ride because i love riding. I think people who ride in fear should hang it up. I know that i'm a far safer or more conscious ie less risky rider when i don't wear then when i gear up and push the envelope of riding. My FF helmet gives me a false sense or security when i'm burning up corners but i do it anyways when i'm AGATT. The top two cause of motorcycle fatalities are alcohol and speeding. I enter the top two when i'm rapping it out in the twisties.The facts state that those who wear have a better chance of injury prevention in the same way the fact state you are more healthy by choosing not to live in a polluted place like LA or any city with unhealthy air yet people choose to breath that dirty air ever day with disregard to there overall health.

I don't live a single day of life worrying about dieing. I live it doing what i want like it was my last day of life. Ride on.

Old 05-18-2014 | 08:19 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rjg883c
          Get over your obsession with death. If you "die in a motorcycle accident because of bad luck then I am good knowing that before that moment I was doing what I love most", you will never know it. If you suffer a head(brain) damage, you will know it, possibly. And most head injuries don't result in immediate death.

Of course you may be sitting a wheelchair, held up by a bed sheet tied around your chest, with a string of spittle hanging from your chin. Free choice is great. Just be prepared to accept the results of your choice, sometimes they are not pleasant.

Do you really believe "the probability is low that any motorcycle rider will die or suffer traumatic injuries in their lifetime of riding"? Or is that just wishful thinking? How could anybody know that, really? Do you really want to put your theory about low probability to the test?
          A local biker was riding past a woods in a thunderstorm. Lightning struck a tree and then deflected to the passing motorcyclist who died instantly. You seem to know your future by wearing a helmet. Guess what you don't. A woman was driving to a city with her kids at a stop light. A semi truck driver plowed in to them. The car exploded killing them all. They were going shopping and never made it.Don't try to tell me you have any better chance of surviving an accident helmeted or uninjured than non helmeted rider because you don't. I'm obsessed with living life one day at a time to its fullest knowing life is a death sentence..

Yeah i'll test the probability of being hit by two cars as a pedestrian without a helmet and surviving with no major injuries. Spending a career is a very hazardous work environment ie explosives. It's not wishful thinking its reality. Do you know statically you have a .058 percent of being involved in a motorcycle accident in your lifetime? I've by far exceeded those odds.Do some research. I have. I have no issues with people that need to wear to achieve what they consider a appropriate safety level. Whatever gets them to their thrill level i'm all for it. Tomorrow i could be dismounting my forklift at work, slip on a wet floor, hit my head and become a vegetable so whats your freaking point? You don't have one. You choose to ride with a false sense of security and you know what thats ok to. You're doing what you love. Ride safe.

Old 05-18-2014 | 09:05 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
          Do you know statically you have a .058 percent of being involved in a motorcycle accident in your lifetime?
          How could this .058 percent figure possibly be known? Or even estimated?

How can anybody possibly know the number of miles/hours actually being ridden? Or how many riders have accidents? Not every accident involves authorities, or anyone, that keep count.

And even if it was known/estimated how many hours/miles are ridden, and divide that number by the number of reported acidents, there can be NO way of knowing how many riders 'go down' and are able to get up and ride, or at least walk, away because a helmet protected their head(brain) from a life changing event.

Only a lucky few die immediately, and is why IMO you shouldn't be concerned with death. Death is sometimes(usually?) the easy way out.

Don't you agree? If not, why not?

Last edited by rjg883c; 05-18-2014 at 09:51 PM.
          Old 05-18-2014 | 09:12 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Tomorrow i could be dismounting my forklift at work, slip on a wet floor, hit my head and become a vegetable so whats your freaking point? You don't have one. You choose to ride with a false sense of security and you know what thats ok to. You're doing what you love. Ride safe.
          This is a perfect example. My freaking point is that the odds of you becoming a vegetable, in the above scenario, would be greatly reduced if you have a helmet on. Don't you agree?

And no smartazz comments about slips/helmets in the shower please. That is not what this debate is about.

Get over your obsession with the importance of 'surviving an accident'. Would you 'love' what you are doing as much if you are doing it with a, possibly avoidable, head(brain) injury? It is ironic that you posted "I'm obsessed with living life one day at a time to its fullest", because 'living' with a head(brain) injury is not a life anywhere near it's 'fullest'.

Unfortunately this is something that has to be personally experienced to be really understood. And then, also unfortunately, it is too late to reconsider the value of a helmet.

Last edited by rjg883c; 05-18-2014 at 09:55 PM.
          Old 05-18-2014 | 10:51 PM
          crazymjb
          Cruiser

A local biker was riding past a woods in a thunderstorm. Lightning struck a tree and then deflected to the passing motorcyclist who died instantly. You seem to know your future by wearing a helmet. Guess what you don't. A woman was driving to a city with her kids at a stop light. A semi truck driver plowed in to them. The car exploded killing them all. They were going shopping and never made it.Don't try to tell me you have any better chance of surviving an accident helmeted or uninjured than non helmeted rider because you don't. I'm obsessed with living life one day at a time to its fullest knowing life is a death sentence..

Yeah i'll test the probability of being hit by two cars as a pedestrian without a helmet and surviving with no major injuries. Spending a career is a very hazardous work environment ie explosives. It's not wishful thinking its reality. Do you know statically you have a .058 percent of being involved in a motorcycle accident in your lifetime? I've by far exceeded those odds.Do some research. I have. I have no issues with people that need to wear to achieve what they consider a appropriate safety level. Whatever gets them to their thrill level i'm all for it. Tomorrow i could be dismounting my forklift at work, slip on a wet floor, hit my head and become a vegetable so whats your freaking point? You don't have one. You choose to ride with a false sense of security and you know what thats ok to. You're doing what you love. Ride safe.
          Increadible flawed logic. I guess I shouldnt have worn body armor overseas, and we shouldnt have used armored vehicles. In the latter case, Id have 50 dead friends instead of 50 concussed friends.

As far as your statement talking about survivability not changing helmeted vs not... you must be really stupid, like just a really dumb person. Im all for people not wearing a helmet if they dont want to, I disagree with helmet laws, but what you "think" is scientifically unsound and factually incorrect. Do you work in government?

I have no issue with people not wearing helmets, but making statements like yours is just so mind numbingly dumb I felt the need to comment.

Mike

Old 05-18-2014 | 11:55 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by crazymjb

I have no issue with people not wearing helmets, but making statements like yours is just so mind numbingly dumb I felt the need to comment.

Mike
          I totally agree. My ONLY reason for posting in the helmet threads is to promote free choice. Of course, to really be 'free', the people making the choice must not have to consider nonsensical reasons in their decision making process.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?