Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014 | 07:53 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rdunnill
          There is inherent danger in riding, and an accident can get you at any time. If I hadn't been wearing leather pants and a leather jacket, I might have needed skin grafts as well as a shoulder reset.

My nurse friend said she saw some terrible injuries sustained by riders wearing half-helmets that could have been avoided. I can't avoid all the risk riding, but at least I can avoid that one.
          I think the falicy in theory is that chance is just that chance. I've wrecked MANY times on a scooter/motorcycle without major injury. The truth is your more likely to die from cancer than a motorcycle accident by far. I fell 12-14 feet head on with a minor skull fracture with NO freaking brain trama at all. Luck of course, against the normal odds yes.

The odds state more helmeted riders die than non helmeted for whatever reason. You wanna talk odds or responsibilities? More people die every year from bad diet choices than those who chose to wear or not to wear.
          There is no question that safety gear has an advantage verses no safety gear. I wear safety glasses but nearly lost my eye when a weld spackle shot under my mask. Luck placed the weld spackle on my eye lid. A 1/2 inch lower and my right eye would of been toast even with safety eyewear.

The ultimate argument is that a helmet may save your life or prevent injury or it may not do a damn thing when your ribs puncture a body organ and you die instantly. I ride because I love to without a single thought of dieing or being serious injured in a motorcycle accident all the while knowing is the greatest safety device is what's between your ears and not what you wear over it.

Old 05-13-2014 | 08:20 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wildon883R

The odds state more helmeted riders die than non helmeted for whatever reason.
          The above statement is irrelevant for several reasons:

1. The key point is "whatever reason". Helmets can't, and aren't supposed to, prevent blunt force trauma to a rider's body, which causes more rider deaths then head injuries. You admit this with your post "The ultimate argument is that a helmet may save your life or prevent injury or it may not do a damn thing when your ribs puncture a body organ and you die instantly."

2. Even more important IMO is how many helmetless rider's involved in an accident survive and 'live' the rest of their lives with a head(brain) injury vs. how many helmeted rider's survive and go on to live a full, productive life?

Last edited by rjg883c; 05-13-2014 at 08:24 PM.
          Old 05-13-2014 | 08:36 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rjg883c
          The above statement is irrelevant for several reasons:

1. The key point is "whatever reason". Helmets can't, and aren't supposed to, prevent blunt force trauma to a rider's body. Which causes more rider deaths then head injuries.

2. How many helmetless rider's involved in an accident survive and 'live' the rest of their lives with a head(brain) injury vs. how many helmeted rider's survive and go on to live a full, productive life?
          I know a couple that got T-boned at 70mph by a van and survived without major injuries. Luck involve of course. You really have to figure in probability and the probability is low that any motorcycle rider will die or suffer traumatic injuries in their lifetime of riding. I ride knowing every cage is trying to kill me. I do not trust any cage at any time. With that being said I never wore a helmet on a bicycle or moped. If its near freezing I wear a FF. I like my head in the air. There is nothing more freeing riding any 2 wheeler without a helmet and the reason why the majority in non helmet lawa states do so.

I don't ride worrying about whats going to kill me. I ride because its what I live to do. If I die in a motorcycle accident because of bad luck then I am good knowing that before that moment I was doing what I love most.

Old 05-13-2014 | 09:13 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

I know a couple that got T-boned at 70mph by a van and survived without major injuries. Luck involve of course. You really have to figure in probability and the probability is low that any motorcycle rider will die or suffer traumatic injuries in their lifetime of riding. I ride knowing every cage is trying to kill me. I do not trust any cage at any time. With that being said I never wore a helmet on a bicycle or moped. If its near freezing I wear a FF. I like my head in the air. There is nothing more freeing riding any 2 wheeler without a helmet and the reason why the majority in non helmet lawa states do so.

I don't ride worrying about whats going to kill me. I ride because its what I live to do. If I die in a motorcycle accident because of bad luck then I am good knowing that before that moment I was doing what I love most.
          Get over your obsession with death. If you "die in a motorcycle accident because of bad luck then I am good knowing that before that moment I was doing what I love most", you will never know it. If you suffer a head(brain) damage, you will know it, possibly. And most head injuries don't result in immediate death.

Of course you may be sitting a wheelchair, held up by a bed sheet tied around your chest, with a string of spittle hanging from your chin. Free choice is great. Just be prepared to accept the results of your choice, sometimes they are not pleasant.

Do you really believe "the probability is low that any motorcycle rider will die or suffer traumatic injuries in their lifetime of riding"? Or is that just wishful thinking? How could anybody know that, really? Do you really want to put your theory about low probability to the test?

Last edited by rjg883c; 05-17-2014 at 05:23 PM.
          Old 05-14-2014 | 07:38 AM
          subguy
          Road Master

The only accident (totaled the bike...car pulled out in front of me...didn't see me due to bushes blocking their line of sight and just went for it without looking...I was about 25 feet away) I was wearing a helmet (at that time CA did not require helmets). I landed directly on the back of my head (wearing a 3/4 helmet with shield). The helmet split where I hit the ground (asphalt). No other damage (well, bike landed on my knee and I am paying for it now). I walked away from a completely totaled bike.

I guarantee, not a doubt in my mind or in the cops who showed up, if my unprotected head hit, I could have been dead (best case) or disabled for life or a long time.

That's my story. I believe in helmets. I would prefer to ride without one, but I would prefer to be "whole" for my family. OF COURSE THERE ARE ALWAYS EXCEPTIONS to helmet wear/protections. Each accident is unique with many changing variables which brings up the following statement by me.

There is no way you can ever say that helmets save lives or not with 100% assurance. How can you quantify every accident with every circumstance that can occur? Unless you could study every motorcycle accident, every variable and circumstance, and what trauma was suffered in the accident to the head or body and type of helmet or lack of helmet you will never have the correct data to make a correct conclusion. People can be hurt/killed/disabled by even a small blow to the right spot on a head even with a helmet and can survive with other blows to the head without a helmet.

So what you are left with is limited studies, ancedotal information, and common sense (more protection the better). But, never an overall conclusive study 100% accurate. I go by common sense in this case.

That said, I wear a helmet (even if I was not in a State that requires one I would wear a helmet). Motorcycle racers wear them. Must be a reason. I would rather come off a bike with a good protective helmet at 70 mph than not. Sliding down the freeway with a bare head (or half-helmet) is not something I want to do.

I am not afraid of dying (didn't spend 20-years in the military worrying about dying). I am more afraid of being a burden on my family. Since an accident can happen at anytime (no matter if you are the best bike rider in the world...and I have been riding continuously since 1970), you can only control your end of the ride. Ride very defensively, take every precaution, and you can still get in an accident. All we can do is to do our best to avoid them. Every motorcyclists makes risk management decisions and that is their life. I would never presume to tell anyone how to live it. I personally don't like helmet laws, but am a believer in helmets.

Old 05-14-2014 | 07:44 AM
          subguy
          Road Master

As to the original question. Yes, I wear a FF helmet. I have for the last 10-years. I am very comfortable with it (but you really have to get a quality FF helmet). Of the 44-years of riding, the last 32-years of riding have been on Harleys. Do real Harley riders wear FF helmets? I do and figure I have ridden Harleys enough years to qualify as a "real" Harley Rider. Dunno...how many years qualifies you to be a real Harley rider?

Old 05-14-2014 | 11:46 AM
          NooneOfConsequence
          Cruiser

It's pretty clear that SOME people in here don't need to whear a helmet because their skulls are so think NOTHING can penetrate them!

Many years ago, my Uncle was involed in a scooter accident, in town, at low speed and suffered permanent brain damage when his helmetless head hit the ground. He spent more than a month in the hospital, very nearly died, and drove my grandparents into bankruptcy from the hospital bills. He was never even close to 'right' after that and my Grandparent lived in poverty the rest of their days.
          Remember "no man is an island unto himself" and YOUR decision to not put on even basic protection DOES affect everyone around you.

As for me, I'll not tempt fate and will keep my head covered with a quality lid (though it's not legally required) because I'd love to be able to watch my 3 boys grow up to be men and so I can spend as much time on this Earth as possible with my wife. I know without a shadow of a doubt that my skull is no where near as hard as concrete (though some may argue that point at times Lol! ) and that a helmet is the best protection I have against that very unforgiving road should things go bad.

Old 05-17-2014 | 04:49 PM
          The Spook
          Intermediate

been riding 40 yrs. started wearing full face last April 2013. June 6 2014... cage backed out of a drive way ( 10 houses from mine) 50 or so mph to 0 . flew 22 ft. 4 ribs collar bone shattered .. bruised heart .. bruised lung ... the side of my full face was almost completely worn through on the side .. lower jaw piece crushed. Don't know if it saved my life ..... but I ain't any uglier ... thank God
          Another good reason ... "No officer .. I couldn't see his face" LOL

Old 05-17-2014 | 11:33 PM
          JohnGault
          6th Gear

A real biker is checking out your bike and your girl not your helmet

Old 05-18-2014 | 12:48 AM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

The truth is your more likely to die from cancer than a motorcycle accident by far.
          I believe this. Both my parents, and my sister, died from cancer. And only my father rode, holding the handlebars, a motorcycle. But there is a logical reason why Wildon's statement quoted above is true.

Anybody can develop cancer, but deaths from motorcycle accidents require a person, in combination with a motorcycle, to have an accident of some sort. And that combination is infinitesimal compared to the number of 'people'.

So I don't really understand the reasoning/relevance behind the above statement?

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?