Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014 | 11:48 PM
          rdunnill
          Tourer

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
          One day you might figure it out .. Life's a lot more then worrying about what's going to do you in. That's the problem with people these days. They worry too much.
          There is inherent danger in riding, and an accident can get you at any time. If I hadn't been wearing leather pants and a leather jacket, I might have needed skin grafts as well as a shoulder reset.

My nurse friend said she saw some terrible injuries sustained by riders wearing half-helmets that could have been avoided. I can't avoid all the risk riding, but at least I can avoid that one.

Old 05-10-2014 | 10:12 AM
          motsknab77
          Outstanding HDF Member

What is the definition of a real Harley owner? Wear what you want, don't pay mind to those who cant handle you being yourself or doing or wearing what makes you comfortable. As for the safety factor FF has its arguments, but they are not the ultimate in safe. In my line of work I have cleaned up bikes and saw guys hauled off from accidents where the FF didn't make a difference in life or death and in a couple of cases where it caused death. Remember regardless of what helmet you wear, never ever remove someone's after an accident with out professional medical assistance, Paralyses or death can happen with in seconds of an unseen head or neck injury that the helmet is securing.

Old 05-10-2014 | 10:43 AM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
          The more experienced I've become over the years the more I realize that helmets offer only so much protection.
          The BEST protection is protecting the head(brain) from injury. What protection do you 'realize' that they don't offer? You haven't had the 'experience' needed, and apparently haven't even been personally exposed to people that have said experience, to really understand the issue.

And that is a GOOD thing, for you. The pain, agony, misery, inconvenience or whatever justification someone has for not wanting to wear a helmet only has any meaning while they are wearing, or not wearing, a helmet. A head(brain) injury, for people that don't die immediately, becomes the(a) major point of their 'lives'. Every second for the rest of their lives. And, depending on the severity of the injury, the lives of the families or caregivers are also affected.

It all depends on a person's priorities and what they feel are they odds for/against them bouncing their head on solid hard.

Old 05-10-2014 | 11:09 AM
          grbrown
          Club Member

It's amusing that we're having this debate. Health and Safety determined back in the 70s that we should be protected from injury and deafness, amongst other hazards, while we are at work. Anyone working in an environment where they may suffer injury wears a helmet, eyewear and ear defenders and has been for around 40 years - since before some of those arguing against bike helmets were even a twinkle in their parents eye.......

Old 05-10-2014 | 11:11 AM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by motsknab77
          In my line of work I have cleaned up bikes and saw guys hauled off from accidents where the FF didn't make a difference in life or death and in a couple of cases where it caused death.
          'In your line of work' do you follow, or do you even have any immediate knowledge, of the lives of people that receive a head(brain) injury that might have been prevented by wearing a helmet?

If not, you can't really understand the issue. Since it means there is no more pain or suffering, because life ends and the rider never knows, death is unimportant. But your focus on death, is understandable. That is what people generally, and erroneously, think is the important part of this issue.

In a bad accident blunt force trauma, or a unusual occurrence such as a helmet causing an injury, can cause death or injury. The real sad thing is when a minor, insignificant in that the rider can usually get up and walk or even sometimes ride away, incident occurs and the rider 'lives' with the results every second for the rest of their 'life'.

Last edited by rjg883c; 05-10-2014 at 11:13 AM.
          Old 05-10-2014 | 11:22 AM
          grbrown
          Club Member
          Exclamation

When compulsory seat belts for cars were introduced here in the UK, in the 60s, someone I knew argued against them because on the one occasion he rolled his car the windshield popped out and he followed through the hole it left, thereby avoiding being crushed inside. Close shave?!

Since then mortality and serious injury on the roads have greatly reduced, but medicine has improved to such a degree that we are running out of organs for transplants, previously 'donated' by dead road victims. The World's a mixed up place.......

Old 05-10-2014 | 11:33 AM
          motsknab77
          Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rjg883c
          'in your line of work' do you follow, or do you even have any immediate knowledge, of the lives of people that receive a head(brain) injury that might have been prevented by wearing a helmet?

If not, you can't really understand the issue. Since it means there is no more pain or suffering, because life ends and the rider never knows, death is unimportant. But your focus on death, is understandable. That is what people generally, and erroneously, think is the important part of this issue.

In a bad accident blunt force trauma, or a unusual occurrence such as a helmet causing an injury, can cause death or injury. The real sad thing is when a minor, insignificant in that the rider can usually get up and walk or even sometimes ride away, incident occurs and the rider 'lives' with the results every second for the rest of their 'life'.
          yes i do first hand.

Old 05-10-2014 | 02:24 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

yes i do first hand.
          You, or the person with the injury, have my empathy. Don't you agree that sometimes death is the easy way out?

Of course if your "first hand" knowledge is only through observation of accident scenes, you, fortunately, can't really understand the issue.

But don't you agree "The real sad thing is when a minor, insignificant in that the rider can usually get up and walk or even sometimes ride away, incident occurs and the rider 'lives' with the results every second for the rest of their 'life'?

Last edited by rjg883c; 05-11-2014 at 08:28 AM.
          Old 05-10-2014 | 06:10 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

In my line of work I have cleaned up bikes and saw guys hauled off from accidents where the FF didn't make a difference in life or death and in a couple of cases where it caused death. .
          How many did it cause death in? And how many did you come across where it prevented or lessened injury?

Old 05-10-2014 | 06:38 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          How many did it cause death in? And how many did you come across where it prevented or lessened injury?
          I'm surprised motsknab77 hasn't answered our questions yet? He does make 21 posts per day. Most, almost all actually, of his posts are in game threads or of a social nature having NOTHING to do with motorcycles.

And that is OK, but it makes one wonder about his concern/interest/knowledge with motorcycle related questions/problems?

Ironically, your last question is difficult, actually impossible, to answer since incidents in which a helmet prevented or lessened injury aren't usually public knowledge because the rider gets up and rides, or at least walks, away.

Last edited by rjg883c; 05-11-2014 at 07:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?