Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014 | 11:20 AM
          TroyGT
          6th Gear

I have both... sometimes I just don't want to feel gravel, bugs, or wind on my face. So, I wear this:

Old 05-09-2014 | 04:58 PM
          Fifthstone
          Advanced

I wear a DOT half helmet. Will be picking up a full face this year mostly to extend my riding season into cooler weather.

Old 05-09-2014 | 05:10 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Nobody protests seatbelt laws like helmet laws. Now why is that?

Old 05-09-2014 | 05:38 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rjg883c
          Wildon883R,

Years ago you created a thread entitled "Why I wear a FF helmet". On 8/01/10, in that thread you posted:

"Modern helmets even cheaper ones are not uncomfortable even at 100 degrees F. That's full faced helmets. I ride in 90+ degree temps pretty much day in and out with a FF. Heck my very heavy leather jacket *vented* is not uncomfortable when moving over 20 mph in 90+ degree weather."

In this thread, post #1089, you posted "Nobody can dispute on a warm to hot weather day its far more comfortable to ride without".

Why the change of opinion?
          The more experienced I've become over the years the more I realize that helmets offer only so much protection. At highway speed its bearable in 80F + weather but not in city driving its horrid in stop and go. A 3/4 or Half helmet are way more comfortable in the summer heat that a FF. I've also learned more about gear. My vented textile jacket is ALOT cooler than my vented heavy leather jacket but then again sometimes I wear a leather or jean jacket vest depending on mood or even a Tank top some days.

Old 05-09-2014 | 06:22 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior
          Unhappy

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          Curious on the brand/quality of the FF. And how often do you ride with your head turned to where that matters?

Tire noise - depends on the helmet. What if two cars are coming up on you? You should be using your eyes and mirrors. Deaf people can get motorcycle licenses too.

Sweating is good and cools. Not sweating from exposure leads to quicker dehydration and without an indication.

Your race analogy has no bearing. Track day participants wear a helmet and the stock seat belts only.

You're not a better or safer rider with a helmet, you're a smarter one who is more likely to avoid injury if an accident occurs, even the most minor dismount.
          Sometimes I wear usually weather reasons like near freezing weather or rain, but most times I don't like to wear a helmet. When I get on my bike I know the risks in the same way you know the risk every time you drive a car. I know I push it harder when riding with full gear on then I do without. If I stilled raced through the twisties of course I'd gear up because that riding style is 100 times more risky than riding in a small town or by yourself on slow winding country roads which make up about 95% of all of Ohio. I don't race through the twisties anymore. It's not the same riding experience with a FF that it is with a 3/4, 1/2 or even without. Get on a bicycle and put on your FF helmet and ride through a winding country road during fall when all the trees are turning and then do it without. If you don't experience a difference then well I don't know what to tell you.

One day you might figure it out .. Life's a lot more then worrying about what's going to do you in. That's the problem with people these days. They worry too much. If a Helmet makes it so you feel safe enough to ride a motorcycle then more power to you. I'm not against people choosing to wear because like I said I occasionally do too. Maybe you should wear your helmet 24/7 that way if you fall out of bed you won't die of massive head trauma if you hit the end table just right. I ride because I love riding. If doing what you love takes you out then well that's how I want to go out of this world. The MAJORITY in Ohio don't wear so I guess that makes the entire state of riders stupid or it makes them more realistic in what life is all about. They are doing what they enjoy and so am I.

Old 05-09-2014 | 06:30 PM
          Guzzi
          Road Warrior

I see a certain 1% motorcycle club riding with full face helmets on the open road here in Texas all time.

Old 05-09-2014 | 06:42 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          Nobody protests seatbelt laws like helmet laws. Now why is that?
          Because they are not uncomfortable and do not distract from the driving experience. Imagine if they tried to make wearing a helmet in a car mandatory. That would go over about as well as trying to bring prohibition back Why don't you voluntarily wear a helmet in your cage? You would be better equipped to survive a crash right? Right back at the probability thing. You could get into a motor vehicle accident, You could win the lottery, You could get hit by lightning. Of all of 3 that could happen its more likely that they wont.

Old 05-09-2014 | 06:56 PM
          cdonis
          Outstanding HDF Member

Person is a moron!

Old 05-09-2014 | 07:41 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
          The more experienced I've become over the years the more I realize that helmets offer only so much protection. At highway speed its bearable in 80F + weather but not in city driving its horrid in stop and go. A 3/4 or Half helmet are way more comfortable in the summer heat that a FF. I've also learned more about gear. My vented textile jacket is ALOT cooler than my vented heavy leather jacket but then again sometimes I wear a leather or jean jacket vest depending on mood or even a Tank top some days.
          Good comeback!

But were you wrong in the past, are you wrong now, or will you be wrong with your next theory?

That is one problem with the 'net. Once something is out there, it never goes away. It is important to really understand an issue before posting about it.

Last edited by rjg883c; 05-09-2014 at 07:46 PM.
          Old 05-09-2014 | 08:10 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

If you don't experience a difference then well I don't know what to tell you.

I ride because I love riding. If doing what you love takes you out then well that's how I want to go out of this world. The MAJORITY in Ohio don't wear so I guess that makes the entire state of riders stupid or it makes them more realistic in what life is all about. They are doing what they enjoy and so am I.
          A small sacrifice in the "experience" is a small price to pay in exchange for a potentially devastating injury vs. walking away with no injury.

I love having a much better chance of being uninjured or a minor injury. And yes, the "majority" as you've measured it is making a stupid decision. Yet somehow I bet the "majority" of dedicated cyclists ALL wear bicycle helmets.

Because they are not uncomfortable and do not distract from the driving experience. Imagine if they tried to make wearing a helmet in a car mandatory. That would go over about as well as trying to bring prohibition back Why don't you voluntarily wear a helmet in your cage? You would be better equipped to survive a crash right? Right back at the probability thing. You could get into a motor vehicle accident, You could win the lottery, You could get hit by lightning. Of all of 3 that could happen its more likely that they wont.
          Sure they can be uncomfortable, wrinkle clothes, potentially trap you in a car, etc. I don't wear a helmet when I drive because I already wear the mandatory and most basic protective device. In the environment of a car, a helmet can cause obstructions and I believe are illegal on the street. AND in a car, it could also necessitate wearing a HANS type of device. Not only that, head and side-curtain airbags in street cars make it redundant.

Again, you're trying to argue against the merits of wearing a helmet and on a two wheeled form of transportation without a cage, the benefits are clearly evident. If you want to have a better "experience" vs. helmet, why don't you remove the windshield in your car? You'll really get an awesome experience then too?

Last edited by Deuuuce; 05-09-2014 at 08:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?