Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014 | 05:26 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
          Helmets save lives, seat belts saves lives, Not drinking alcohol saves lives. A helmet can help, hinder or even harm you in a wreck. A lot of people die because of seat belts that trapped them. That doesn't make it all bad to wear. Being somebody that has worn all 3 types off and on over the years I know the advantages and disadvantages. Fact? Your hearing is not as good with a helmet on as it is off. Helmets are designed to reduce noise levels. That's pretty simple. No matter what helmet you wear aerodynamic or not wind grabs it , pushes your head around in higher winds more than you head in free air. So yes there is less pressure on your neck when you don't wear whether your stationary or moving. Comfort. Nobody can dispute on a warm to hot weather day its far more comfortable to ride without.

Most non helmet riders are not stupid they know what they like. They also accept the risks we all accept to ride a motorcycle. Its more fun to ride without a helmet. Unless you've ridden without you simply can understand why we that choose not to wear do what we do. Can you imagine if it was the law for all automobile passengers or drivers had to wear FF helmet? I mean it would save lives right? So why isn't it the law.

I love to have the freedom of choice in Ohio. California a mandatory helmet state has far more motorcycle deaths than Ohio does. If I was afraid of dying I would never leave my house. Again statistics are like weather forecasts. We all know how accurate those are.
          Your points are all the slanted ones that non-helmet wearers/anti-helmet law people make. And your last statement still challenges the use of a helmet. Unbelievable.

Define "a lot" of people dying due to seatbelts and then tell us how many prevented major injury or death? Name a race car driver that protests wearing a seatbelt.

Hearing - if you're not looking ahead or using your mirrors, hearing has little to do with anything. And at higher speeds, that would drop off anyway where a helmet is designed to direct airflow. That could help hearing.

Aerodynamics? Have you seen any studies on a FF vs. a "face" (with hair) and directing airflow? A Tesla is more aerodynamic than a Prius.

A well ventilated helmet may reduce fluid loss more so than no helmet. Besides wind & sun protection.

Driving cars - because of seatbelts and airbags, that's why.

Old 05-07-2014 | 11:37 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Anything is possible in life. People have heart attacks and die everyday straining on the crapper every day. Yeah constipation kills. Riding in Chicago is far more dangerous than riding in a town like mine with less than 10k people. Outside of city limits its a population of 4 houses per square mile .. I would never live in a big city and probably not own a bike if I lived in a place like LA. Many factors affect danger levels. Again its all what you consider acceptable risk.
          That's not what you posted before. You mentioned a 'snapped neck' like is common enough occurrence that it should color a decision about wearing a helmet, and instead it is far down on the list of possible results of wearing a helmet.

Nonsense such as that goes against basic 'free choice'.

Old 05-08-2014 | 06:39 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rjg883c
          That's not what you posted before. You mentioned a 'snapped neck' like is common enough occurrence that it should color a decision about wearing a helmet, and instead it is far down on the list of possible results of wearing a helmet.

Nonsense such as that goes against basic 'free choice'.
          Negative I never once mentioned increase risk of head injury do to wearing.

Old 05-08-2014 | 06:54 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Negative I never once mentioned increase risk of head injury do to wearing.
          Sorry, that was NOSUM. I got it confused because you are usually both so wrong. In a similar fashion.

Old 05-08-2014 | 07:15 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Nobody can dispute on a warm to hot weather day its far more comfortable to ride without.

California a mandatory helmet state has far more motorcycle deaths than Ohio does. If I was afraid of dying I would never leave my house. Again statistics are like weather forecasts. We all know how accurate those are.
          Two points:

1 - I dispute your first charge because on a hot day, as long as you are moving, a FF helmet with vents is cooler riding, or then just standing in the sun. There is a breeze over my head and down my face.

2 - Forget deaths, they are irrelevant and unimportant. Once a person is dead, that's it. No more pain or problems. The rider's survivors may have problems, but the rider won't know. The real concern is suffering a head injury and having to 'live' with it. Death is sometimes, usually(?), the easy way out. Unfortunately this is something that must be personally experienced to fully understand. And then it's too late to say "Wait, this isn't what I was expecting"!

Even if California, with a helmet law, has far more motorcycle deaths then 'helmet free' Ohio, what does that mean? How many deaths were due to a head injury vs. some other cause? Even more important California has many more people then Ohio, right? And due to the weather California has many more motorcycle riders per capita then Ohio, right? Most important, the 'riding season' in California is far longer then in Ohio, right? More deaths of motorcycle riders seems appropriate, right?

Try again.

Last edited by rjg883c; 05-08-2014 at 07:22 PM.
          Old 05-08-2014 | 07:38 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          Your points are all the slanted ones that non-helmet wearers/anti-helmet law people make. And your last statement still challenges the use of a helmet. Unbelievable.

Define "a lot" of people dying due to seatbelts and then tell us how many prevented major injury or death? Name a race car driver that protests wearing a seatbelt.

Hearing - if you're not looking ahead or using your mirrors, hearing has little to do with anything. And at higher speeds, that would drop off anyway where a helmet is designed to direct airflow. That could help hearing.

Aerodynamics? Have you seen any studies on a FF vs. a "face" (with hair) and directing airflow? A Tesla is more aerodynamic than a Prius.

A well ventilated helmet may reduce fluid loss more so than no helmet. Besides wind & sun protection.

Driving cars - because of seatbelts and airbags, that's why.
          Ride into a strong head wind with out a windshield with a FF helmet and without. My head gets blasted in a FF and I rarely feel squat without. Turn your head to check over your shoulder with a FF and you get drag. Not so much with your head because of surface area. I post by experience after all I have worn helmets of all types.

Drive up the interstate. You wont hear tire noise on a good helmet like I do when I'm without. I've had cars come around me I didn't hear with my FF which heard way before they came around me without. With a windshield going helmetless is relatively quiet compared to no windshield and no helmet. Windshields increase noise levels and discomfort to most helmet wearers. How do I know I've rode with and without.

Helmets cause you to sweat more especially in slow moving conditions like city driving. Having your face in the open on a hot day is more comfortable than behind a face shield. Its way more comfortable with a cap and no helmet on. This is not speculation this is fact. A bandana and sunscreen offer as much protection from the sun as a helmet.

Race car drivers are high risk. They wear safety restraints which are nothing like cars and trucks for good reason. There risk factor in a race is a thousand fold higher than a cruiser rider. Their safety systems are designed for crashes over 200mph. Our cars and trucks are not even close.

I'm more cautious riding when I am without a helmet than I am with. I have to be. I don't have a problem at all with helmet wearers. Everybody needs to achieve a safety comfort level when doing anything in life. I don't live life based on probability. If I did that I'd been dead long ago.

I might see 1 in 100 bikers with a helmet in Ohio and that's cool as long as they are having fun riding in the same way the other 99 hate wearing and love the choice not to. That's the great part about being American. Your not a better or safer rider because you choose to wear and I think that whats the debate or disagreement is all about. I'd salute you on the highway the only difference would be you would be able to see my face and I wouldn't be able to see yours but we'd still be riding and having fun.

Old 05-08-2014 | 09:50 PM
          DynaGlider27
          Intermediate

I am in Kentucky, and I wear speed and strength helmets and they are great. I have 2 ss1500 and the Dogs of War. They are light and just bad ***. Even though this is a no helmet law state over the past few years I see more people wearing them. Most of the clubs here are wearing them as we'll. I had a good friend hit the back of a car and it snapped is neck due to the sudden stop. He was wearing a helmet, I don't think he would have made it if he wasn't wearing a helmet thou. Had another friend hit loss gravel and hit a light pole, it ripped the face mask off his modular helmet but he walked away from it with road rash mainly. I know he would not have made it not wearing a helmet. I think it is dumb not to wear a helmet, but that is my opinion. Sometimes I am dumb cause I like to kick it without one. I do know i have never been pulled over when wearing a helmet, and I know I ride faster with a helmet on then without.

Old 05-08-2014 | 11:41 PM
          HarleyScuba
          Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by DynaGlider27
          ...and I know I ride faster with a helmet on then without.
          The ILLUSION of security is good enough.
          Perception is reality, until **** hits the fan and spreads it all over the cave's wall.
          Wear gear, take more risks.
          Oh, well. What are you gonna do? A 3/4 is illusion enough for me.
          Somehow, I'm amused and find it an oddity that this thread has lasted this long. Mostly, it's like a train wreck, so I gotta look and check the last post every now and then.

Old 05-08-2014 | 11:51 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Ride into a strong head wind with out a windshield with a FF helmet and without. My head gets blasted in a FF and I rarely feel squat without. Turn your head to check over your shoulder with a FF and you get drag. Not so much with your head because of surface area. I post by experience after all I have worn helmets of all types.

Drive up the interstate. You wont hear tire noise on a good helmet like I do when I'm without. I've had cars come around me I didn't hear with my FF which heard way before they came around me without. With a windshield going helmetless is relatively quiet compared to no windshield and no helmet. Windshields increase noise levels and discomfort to most helmet wearers. How do I know I've rode with and without.

Helmets cause you to sweat more especially in slow moving conditions like city driving. Having your face in the open on a hot day is more comfortable than behind a face shield. Its way more comfortable with a cap and no helmet on. This is not speculation this is fact. A bandana and sunscreen offer as much protection from the sun as a helmet.

Race car drivers are high risk. They wear safety restraints which are nothing like cars and trucks for good reason. There risk factor in a race is a thousand fold higher than a cruiser rider. Their safety systems are designed for crashes over 200mph. Our cars and trucks are not even close.

That's the great part about being American. Your not a better or safer rider because you choose to wear and I think that whats the debate or disagreement is all about. I'd salute you on the highway the only difference would be you would be able to see my face and I wouldn't be able to see yours but we'd still be riding and having fun.
          Curious on the brand/quality of the FF. And how often do you ride with your head turned to where that matters?

Tire noise - depends on the helmet. What if two cars are coming up on you? You should be using your eyes and mirrors. Deaf people can get motorcycle licenses too.

Sweating is good and cools. Not sweating from exposure leads to quicker dehydration and without an indication.

Your race analogy has no bearing. Track day participants wear a helmet and the stock seat belts only.

You're not a better or safer rider with a helmet, you're a smarter one who is more likely to avoid injury if an accident occurs, even the most minor dismount.

Old 05-09-2014 | 12:58 AM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Wildon883R,

Years ago you created a thread entitled "Why I wear a FF helmet". On 8/01/10, in that thread you posted:

"Modern helmets even cheaper ones are not uncomfortable even at 100 degrees F. That's full faced helmets. I ride in 90+ degree temps pretty much day in and out with a FF. Heck my very heavy leather jacket *vented* is not uncomfortable when moving over 20 mph in 90+ degree weather."

In this thread, post #1089, you posted "Nobody can dispute on a warm to hot weather day its far more comfortable to ride without".

Why the change of opinion?

Last edited by rjg883c; 05-09-2014 at 12:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?