Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014 | 08:36 PM
          dsn2312
          6th Gear

I wear a full face to work and commuting and a half helmet on the weekend casual rides. I get the looks all the time passing others helmetless in Illinois but honestly I just rev the throttle and move on.

Old 05-06-2014 | 09:15 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by roturbose
          Is this really a thread? ****, all of you need to grow up and stop giving a **** what anyone else is or isn't doing/wearing. Quit acting like high school bitches.
          I must have missed the post(s) in which anybody tells anybody what to do or not do. Unless you mistake someone correcting, as nonsensical, a reason to make a decision about wearing a helmet?

Or do you really feel 'free choice' should be based on nonsense?

In this case 'free choice' matters more then choosing which pipe is the loudest, or which oil to use. It can have HUGE consequences. Only a lucky few head injuries recipients die immediately.

For the rest, life such as it is, goes on and on and on....

Last edited by rjg883c; 05-07-2014 at 11:25 PM.
          Old 05-06-2014 | 09:43 PM
          rdunnill
          Tourer

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
          Do you ride behind a windshield?
          No, I don't have a windshield.

Do you ride without a windshield in winds 25-35mph head on ever?
          I try not to ride in hazardous conditions.

When you are in city traffic above 80F or above a FF helmet is totally miserable.
          80F and up in city traffic all bundled up in proper riding gear is going to be hot.

With that being said who rides a freaking bike for 16 hours a day? I ride with goggles and a windshield.
          I did when I rode from Kirkland, WA to Fallon, NV last July. It was the only way I could get there on a weekend.

Old 05-06-2014 | 10:51 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
          . The majority of MC riders don't like wearing anything more than a 1/2 shell. !
          Seems to me you're challenging the effectiveness of a helmet. That is not an intelligent position to take and completely wrong. And I also challenge your statement above.

Old 05-06-2014 | 11:56 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by NOSNUM
          I do actually agree with you on this. I said what I said more of a "whatever". yes a helmet might help me out a bit. but it also might do nothing. I might wind up a vegitable because of no helmet. At the same time I dont want my neck snapped and my head OK because the helmet saved me from being cheese graited while the rest of my body doesnt work. No one can predict what kind of accident they will be in.
          It is far easier, and a far more probable occurrence, for you to "wind up a vegitable because of no helmet" then "dont want my neck snapped and my head OK because the helmet saved me from being cheese graited while the rest of my body doesnt work".

No one can predict what kind of accident they will be in, but they can predict some things that probably won't happen. Such as a neck being snapped by a helmet.

But it is probably possible. As is being struck by lightning.

Old 05-07-2014 | 12:19 AM
          JustaHawg
          Banned

Hi Kliff ;-)

It's ok for spurtsters because they're on beginner bikes.

Old 05-07-2014 | 09:26 AM
          Brother Dan
          Intermediate

I would reply to anyone who said that real HD riders don't wear FF with. "And Real A$$H0LES give thier opinion when not asked."

You don't like what I wear STFU. Your not my friend, nor would I want you to be.

Wear what you like, and enjoy the ride.

Old 05-07-2014 | 12:25 PM
          $eventy2T
          Tourer

I wear a condom every ride. safe!

Old 05-07-2014 | 05:10 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          Seems to me you're challenging the effectiveness of a helmet. That is not an intelligent position to take and completely wrong. And I also challenge your statement above.
          Helmets save lives, seat belts saves lives, Not drinking alcohol saves lives. A helmet can help, hinder or even harm you in a wreck. A lot of people die because of seat belts that trapped them. That doesn't make it all bad to wear. Being somebody that has worn all 3 types off and on over the years I know the advantages and disadvantages. Fact? Your hearing is not as good with a helmet on as it is off. Helmets are designed to reduce noise levels. That's pretty simple. No matter what helmet you wear aerodynamic or not wind grabs it , pushes your head around in higher winds more than you head in free air. So yes there is less pressure on your neck when you don't wear whether your stationary or moving. Comfort. Nobody can dispute on a warm to hot weather day its far more comfortable to ride without.

Most non helmet riders are not stupid they know what they like. They also accept the risks we all accept to ride a motorcycle. Its more fun to ride without a helmet. Unless you've ridden without you simply can understand why we that choose not to wear do what we do. Can you imagine if it was the law for all automobile passengers or drivers had to wear FF helmet? I mean it would save lives right? So why isn't it the law.

I love to have the freedom of choice in Ohio. California a mandatory helmet state has far more motorcycle deaths than Ohio does. If I was afraid of dying I would never leave my house. Again statistics are like weather forecasts. We all know how accurate those are.

Old 05-07-2014 | 05:19 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rjg883c
          It is far easier, and a far more probable occurrence, for you to "wind up a vegitable because of no helmet" then "dont want my neck snapped and my head OK because the helmet saved me from being cheese graited while the rest of my body doesnt work".

No one can predict what kind of accident they will be in, but they can predict some things that probably won't happen. Such as a neck being snapped by a helmet.

But it is probably possible. As is being struck by lightning.
          Anything is possible in life. People have heart attacks and die everyday straining on the crapper every day. Yeah constipation kills. Riding in Chicago is far more dangerous than riding in a town like mine with less than 10k people. Outside of city limits its a population of 4 houses per square mile .. I would never live in a big city and probably not own a bike if I lived in a place like LA. Many factors affect danger levels. Again its all what you consider acceptable risk.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?