Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014 | 11:57 PM
          rdunnill
          Tourer

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
          Heat is a distraction caused by helmets in hot weather. My head is far more aerodynamic than that bulky helmets we sometimes choose to wear. Helmets cause neck stress and fatigue.
          I rode in the Nevada desert in early July and didn't have trouble with heat. And I can ride for 16 hours without issues of neck stress or fatigue.

Old 05-06-2014 | 08:24 AM
          hank-hill
          Tourer

Napoleon Dynamite: Whatever I feel like I wanna do. Gosh!

Old 05-06-2014 | 12:11 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rdunnill
          I rode in the Nevada desert in early July and didn't have trouble with heat. And I can ride for 16 hours without issues of neck stress or fatigue.
          Exactly, even if you don't have aerodynamic drag from hair, you have exposed skin and dehydrate more rapidly. Not to mention aging the skin with wind and sun.

Old 05-06-2014 | 03:16 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          Exactly, even if you don't have aerodynamic drag from hair, you have exposed skin and dehydrate more rapidly. Not to mention aging the skin with wind and sun.
          I have lived, and ridden, year around in the Nevada desert for 46 years. Anyone worried about the heat caused by wearing a helmet should get one with vents. I have 3, and they really work. At least while moving.

It is actually cooler, at least the head/face is, then standing still in direct sunlight.

Old 05-06-2014 | 04:53 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

You defy your own logic wearing gear but hardly ever a helmet. Like the judgement of the "majority" in Ohio somehow make it smart and right? What is so funny about the hammer analogy. Tell you what, lets both face-plant on concrete, then try to explain why no helmet is better. Or, make it more fun, go into a turn on a slick surface and see who walks away after their head bounces off the concrete.

And isn't that report old, not taking into account helmet type, age and legality, and doesn't take into consideration accidents where the rider had no or lesser head injuries due to the helmet? And yes, I'll take a baseball to a head or slide at 80mph in leathers and a FF.

How many motorcyclists hit walls? Not very many. And somehow a motorcyclist will die if they wear a helmet or not? False. And by the way, you're far safer with a helmet or a seatbelt. I think you misinterpreted the report conclusions.

You're using NASCAR as a situational aware example? That is laughable. Watch F1, USC or motorcycle racing and the numerous passing attempts, braking points, hitting the apexes and blocking maneuvers per lap and then try to make a claim about situational awareness. That is a major fallacy. A tiny single-digit percentage of blocked peripheral vision has no negative effect on a rider's safety that actually turns his head and uses the mirrors.

Oh, speaking of racing risks. Controlled environment & known surface, good sight lines, no curbs, trees, intersections, distracted drivers, opposing traffic, etc. etc.
          I'll make it short and sweet for you as you seem to think freaking helmets make a rider invincible. Your going to die someday. You don't know what's going to do you in but its going to be something. I got hit by a fly over puck in the head at a professional hockey game. Had the puck hit two inches lower I would be dead. I've been hit by two cars and lived. I've wrecked dirt bikes many times and lived. I did wear a FF on a motorcross bike ie high risk riding.Hell I've wiped out doing stupid stuff as a child on bicycles hit my head on the concrete and ice during winter and lived. If you were told tomorrow that you had a week to live would a freaking helmet really matter? Safety gear of course is better than none but its not in most instances a game breaker but you know what we are all going to die someday. Until that freaking day happens I'm going to live how I choose undefined by what the status quo may think.

Your best piece of safety equipment is what's between your ears and not what you wear. 50 percent of all motorcycle fatalities are drunk riders. I don't drink and ride but I drink when I'm not riding which is a health risk. The second leading cause is speeding? Do you ever break the speed limit? I do most certainly. With that being said very very few bikers die from motorcycle accidents way less than 1% of all registered riders in the US. Its actually more like .5% of 1 percent. Yeah near bank interest rates.

I'm not a racer. I love to feel the wind in my face and the freedom to choose to ride however I see fit. Today I left for work at 35F I put my FF helmet on to keep my head warm and for that reason alone. I might as well drove the Jeep. Most weekend warriors which make up the majority of HD riders don't drive a bike every day like I do. I don't drive a cage unless I have absolutely no choice from spring till winter.

I'm not concerned with how long i'm going to live. As long as I wake up every day and do what I want then well to me that's all that matters if in fact today is my last day then so be it. I've been riding for over 40 years. I might slip in the shower, hit my head and die one day. Oh my where was my shower helmet. Debate over.

Old 05-06-2014 | 05:03 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rdunnill
          Do you ride behind a windshield? Do you ride without a windshield in winds 25-35mph head on ever? On a quiet wind free day a FF helmet is pretty smooth aerodynamically. When i'm riding in 30 mph and gusting head winds with no windshield my head is getting blown all over. When you are in city traffic above 80F or above a FF helmet is totally miserable. With that being said who rides a freaking bike for 16 hours a day? I ride with goggles and a windshield.

Old 05-06-2014 | 05:08 PM
          roturbose
          Advanced

Is this really a thread? ****, all of you need to grow up and stop giving a **** what anyone else is or isn't doing/wearing. Quit acting like high school bitches.

Old 05-06-2014 | 06:36 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
          I'll make it short and sweet for you as you seem to think freaking helmets make a rider invincible. Your going to die someday. You don't know what's going to do you in but its going to be something. I got hit by a fly over puck in the head at a professional hockey game. Had the puck hit two inches lower I would be dead. I've been hit by two cars and lived. I've wrecked dirt bikes many times and lived. I did wear a FF on a motorcross bike ie high risk riding.Hell I've wiped out doing stupid stuff as a child on bicycles hit my head on the concrete and ice during winter and lived. If you were told tomorrow that you had a week to live would a freaking helmet really matter? Safety gear of course is better than none but its not in most instances a game breaker but you know what we are all going to die someday. Until that freaking day happens I'm going to live how I choose undefined by what the status quo may think.

Your best piece of safety equipment is what's between your ears and not what you wear. 50 percent of all motorcycle fatalities are drunk riders. I don't drink and ride but I drink when I'm not riding which is a health risk. The second leading cause is speeding? Do you ever break the speed limit? I do most certainly. With that being said very very few bikers die from motorcycle accidents way less than 1% of all registered riders in the US. Its actually more like .5% of 1 percent. Yeah near bank interest rates.

I'm not a racer. I love to feel the wind in my face and the freedom to choose to ride however I see fit. Today I left for work at 35F I put my FF helmet on to keep my head warm and for that reason alone. I might as well drove the Jeep. Most weekend warriors which make up the majority of HD riders don't drive a bike every day like I do. I don't drive a cage unless I have absolutely no choice from spring till winter.

I'm not concerned with how long i'm going to live. As long as I wake up every day and do what I want then well to me that's all that matters if in fact today is my last day then so be it. I've been riding for over 40 years. I might slip in the shower, hit my head and die one day. Oh my where was my shower helmet. Debate over.
          I made my point. I only disagree with your first sentence and a few others better stated from one source:

Motorcyclists are 35 times more likely to experience a deadly accident on the road than those in passenger cars.

In 2006, 88,000 motorcyclists were injured in highway accidents alone.

In 2006, 4,810 motorcyclists were killed in road accidents.

11 percent of all roadway accidents that occur in the United States involve motorcycles.

Head injury is the leading cause of death in motorcycle crashes.

A motorcyclist not wearing a helmet is 40 percent more likely to die of a head injury than one who wears a helmet.

A motorcyclist not wearing a helmet is 15 percent more likely to suffer a nonfatal injury than one who wears a helmet. (I disagree with this one. I bet it is much higher due to helmet-wearing riders having accidents that are unreported such as a solo rider in a turn or slick surface).

It is estimated that helmets reduce the likelihood of a crash fatality by 37 percent.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 05-06-2014 at 07:12 PM.
          Old 05-06-2014 | 08:21 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

I made my point. I only disagree with your first sentence and a few others better stated from one source:

Motorcyclists are 35 times more likely to experience a deadly accident on the road than those in passenger cars.

In 2006, 88,000 motorcyclists were injured in highway accidents alone.

In 2006, 4,810 motorcyclists were killed in road accidents.

11 percent of all roadway accidents that occur in the United States involve motorcycles.

Head injury is the leading cause of death in motorcycle crashes.

A motorcyclist not wearing a helmet is 40 percent more likely to die of a head injury than one who wears a helmet.

A motorcyclist not wearing a helmet is 15 percent more likely to suffer a nonfatal injury than one who wears a helmet. (I disagree with this one. I bet it is much higher due to helmet-wearing riders having accidents that are unreported such as a solo rider in a turn or slick surface).

It is estimated that helmets reduce the likelihood of a crash fatality by 37 percent.
          I'm a vet. My combat helmet was a half helmet which was pretty much worthless too My flak vest was worthless against a sniper rifle but we wore them daily because the man said so. I think people that need to rely on safety stats to ride probably shouldn't be riding at all. I've been wearing steel toes shoes for over 30 years because my job said so. I've never dropped anything on my toes. That's the thing probabilities are like weather forecasts, very inaccurate. There are far more motorcycle fatalities in mandatory helmet states then states without. Sure the numbers of riders play part in this statistic. You seem to have found what YOU justify is your safety level when riding and that's ok. It doesn't make you a better or worse or smarter or safer rider then me it just makes it your choice and what you find as YOUR comfort level while riding.

I rode a bicycle my entire childhood without a helmet, I rode a moped without a helmet, I even rode my dirt bikes non aggressively without a helmet and I mostly ride my motorcycle without a helmet. Your more likely to die in your cage then you are your motorcycle accident if you have any competency at all simply because of the law of averages.. So if you like riding with a bubble on your head more power to you. The majority of MC riders don't like wearing anything more than a 1/2 shell. That's the thing I ride because I love to. My biggest fallacy is wasting time reading forums like this that don't have any bearing on my life expectancy at all whether I wear or not.. 99.9 percent of riders don't waste time in forums like this like I do they just ride. Ride safe!

Old 05-06-2014 | 08:28 PM
          toolman215
          Stage IV

I must not have got the Real Harley Riders rule book when I bought my bike. Wear what you want. I've got a half, full, and 3/4. Let me tell you, anybody that does cold weather riding loves a full face.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?