Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014 | 03:50 PM
          PTSDBob
          Road Captain

I prefer an open face, with shades, because I CAN SNEEZE without mucking up my face shield.... or wipe my nose when it's cold outside, or speak to whomever is next to me. Cold weather it's baklava time or scarf (but get any nose juice on a scarf or baklava and it will freeze).

Old 04-18-2014 | 07:21 PM
          Super8
          Intermediate
          Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PTSDBob
          I prefer an open face, with shades, because I CAN SNEEZE without mucking up my face shield.... or wipe my nose when it's cold outside, or speak to whomever is next to me. Cold weather it's baklava time or scarf (but get any nose juice on a scarf or baklava and it will freeze).
          Very good points. My biggest issue with any helmet is getting one that fits my melon sized head, 3XL in ICON. I think some others aren't understanding my POV, I'm actually PRO-Helmet, I'm just ANTI-Government telling me what I have to do. I suppose its the younger generation mostly, that grew up with, "Baby on Board" placards in the back window of mom's minivan. I never rode in a car seat and remember standing up behind my dad and watching while he drove. I started using seat belts the day I started legally driving with my learners permit(15) and helmet use started with my first go-kart(8). It wasn't federal or state law it was, "mama's law" if I wanted to ride. I'm perfectly comfortable wearing FF, but I can admit it has faults too, I mean if I can see the side of the helmet then its blocking my view somewhat. I guess I'm more sensitive to FF limitations than some, I know I'm more sensitive to what the bike or cage is doing, more than your average rider/driver usually is. Wear what you want, ride what you like, as long as you ride. Keep the shiny side up.

Old 04-18-2014 | 08:09 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Super8
          I mean if I can see the side of the helmet then its blocking my view somewhat.
          Surely you wouldn't buy a helmet that 'blocked your view somewhat', would you?

Old 04-18-2014 | 08:52 PM
          Geronimo7
          Advanced

Wow! Almost 4 years of helmet, no helmet. (Sorry new here)
          But I do wear a helmet! It's funny, the state says I don't have too. But what do I know?

Old 04-19-2014 | 12:09 AM
          PTSDBob
          Road Captain

I prefer not to wear a helmet when I'm cruising out West in the wide open spaces.... it is cooler too; and that should be my choice. When to; when not to. Maybe we should get a patch to go on our back that says: Man on board, with the whole triangle thing....

Old 05-04-2014 | 06:56 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

When I was 15 I was hit by a car. Eyewitness reports that I flew 12-14 feet up in the air coming down on my head. I suffered a hairline skull fracture with no brain injury. Sure I could of broke my neck or even died but I didn't.

I don't consider my riding style high risk and therefore I wear a helmet very seldom. If I was dirt biking like I used to I would of course go ATGATT. The motorcycle riding experience is not the same wearing a helmet vs not wearing one

Do you dress for the heart attack your building towards eating fast food? Do you drink more than they recommend? I do. Do you waste a moment of your life worrying about how long your going to live. If you ride in fear of death then maybe you shouldn't ride at all. That's not what living is about. It's about doing what you enjoy if only for a day.

I'd be much safer driving my Jeep if I wore a helmet or even my forklift at work. People who don't wear a helmet are far more cautious riders. I can hear better without a helmet. My ability to scan my surroundings is far superior without a helmet. Heat is a distraction caused by helmets in hot weather. My head is far more aerodynamic than that bulky helmets we sometimes choose to wear. Helmets cause neck stress and fatigue.

Its without a doubt more of a pleasure riding without a helmet regardless of risk outside of inclement weather. The fact remains there is nothing you do that can guarantee your survival in a motorcycle accident and that's a fact. There is no piece of safety equipment that will save you if your time is up.

Everybody rationalizes what they consider acceptable risk in life and that's just fine. Everybody likes the freedom to choose even when it comes to wearing a helmet or not wearing one. For me its a better ride without.

Old 05-04-2014 | 07:16 PM
          orangehotrod
          Cruiser

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
          When I was 15 I was hit by a car. Eyewitness reports that I flew 12-14 feet up in the air coming down on my head. I suffered a hairline skull fracture with no brain injury. Sure I could of broke my neck or even died but I didn't. I don't consider my riding style high risk and therefore I wear a helmet very seldom. If I was dirt biking like I used to I would of course go ATGATT. The motorcycle riding experience is not the same wearing a helmet vs not wearing one Do you dress for the heart attack your building towards eating fast food? Do you drink more than they recommend? I do. Do you waste a moment of your life worrying about how long your going to live. If you ride in fear of death then maybe you shouldn't ride at all. That's not what living is about. It's about doing what you enjoy if only for a day. I'd be much safer driving my Jeep if I wore a helmet or even my forklift at work. People who don't wear a helmet are far more cautious riders. I can hear better without a helmet. My ability to scan my surroundings is far superior without a helmet. Heat is a distraction caused by helmets in hot weather. My head is far more aerodynamic than that bulky helmets we sometimes choose to wear. Helmets cause neck stress and fatigue. Its without a doubt more of a pleasure riding without a helmet regardless of risk outside of inclement weather. The fact remains there is nothing you do that can guarantee your survival in a motorcycle accident and that's a fact. There is no piece of safety equipment that will save you if your time is up. Everybody rationalizes what they consider acceptable risk in life and that's just fine. Everybody likes the freedom to choose even when it comes to wearing a helmet or not wearing one. For me its a better ride without.
          I respectfully disagree with just about everything you just said. All the problems you listed are a result of buying a cheap helmet and/or the incorrect size helmet for your head. I wear a full face helmet because I don't like large beetles and bees striking me in the face at high speed along with other objects thrown from vehicles etc. Your chances of survival in the event of a crash are inherently higher with the use of a proper, well manufactured full face helmet. If anyone disagrees with that they have issues. As stated, I wear one mostly to keep **** from hitting my handsome face. If you or anyone do not like to wear a helmet, that's perfectly fine. My problem is with your reasoning for not wearing one. All that does is spread misinformation to others who are looking to wear or purchase one.

Last edited by orangehotrod; 05-04-2014 at 07:43 PM.
          Old 05-05-2014 | 01:09 AM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

People who don't wear a helmet are far more cautious riders. I can hear better without a helmet. My ability to scan my surroundings is far superior without a helmet. Heat is a distraction caused by helmets in hot weather. My head is far more aerodynamic than that bulky helmets we sometimes choose to wear. Helmets cause neck stress and fatigue.
          Wrong, hardly, BS, wrong, probably wrong and insignificant.

Do you wear a seatbelt? Your driving experience would be better if your jeep didn't have a windshield.

Hit yourself with a hammer on the head a few times then talk to us about helmets. I guess everyone who races isn't getting the full experience and all those other "advantages" without.

Old 05-05-2014 | 06:23 PM
          Wildon883R
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          Wrong, hardly, BS, wrong, probably wrong and insignificant.

Do you wear a seatbelt? Your driving experience would be better if your jeep didn't have a windshield.

Hit yourself with a hammer on the head a few times then talk to us about helmets. I guess everyone who races isn't getting the full experience and all those other "advantages" without.
          Racing is high risk behavior. Much higher then cruiser bike riding is. I laugh at your hammer analogy. Are you comfortable enough to jump out the back of a truck going 65mph with your god like FF helmet on? Are you comfortable enough to let a major league baseball player to hit you in the head with a baseball bat with your helmet on. I'm not. I bet you say no to both situations. There is no question that helmets and safety belts can possibly save lives.

There is also no promise if your involved in a serious accident that they will. I'm happy to be an Ohio resident where we are given freedom of choice. Less than 1% of the bikers I see wear. 99% of riders here are Harley riders as well.

I always wear jeans, a textile riding jacket, gloves and Steel toed logger boots, goggles or safety glasses when I ride and occasionally even a 1/2 helmet in colder weather.. None of those would be worth a damn if hit a wall. Neither would a helmet. That's the thing with accidents you don't get to choose what kind of accident your going to be involved in. You should read the Hurt Report it breaks down the leading causes of motorcycle fatalities quite nicely. Another fact. Riders that were involved in fatal motorcycle accidents would of died with or without helmets.

With that being said your only slightly safer riding a motorcycle wearing a helmet. Just like your only slightly safer wearing a seatbelt while driving a car. It's all about what you consider acceptable risk to an otherwise risking behavior be it drinking, riding or nailing the neighbors daughter.

Oh btw I've worn all types of helmets and I know the advantages and disadvantages. Did you know it would be nearly impossible for Nascar Sprint cup drivers to race without a spotter? Why. All that freaking safety gear does affect there situational awareness. They can barely see out of those cars with all the safety equipment.

Old 05-05-2014 | 06:58 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Racing is high risk behavior. Much higher then cruiser bike riding is. I laugh at your hammer analogy. Are you comfortable enough to jump out the back of a truck going 65mph with your god like FF helmet on? Are you comfortable enough to let a major league baseball player to hit you in the head with a baseball bat with your helmet on. I'm not. I bet you say no to both situations. There is no question that helmets and safety belts can possibly save lives.

There is also no promise if your involved in a serious accident that they will. I'm happy to be an Ohio resident where we are given freedom of choice. Less than 1% of the bikers I see wear. 99% of riders here are Harley riders as well.

I always wear jeans, a textile riding jacket, gloves and Steel toed logger boots, goggles or safety glasses when I ride and occasionally even a 1/2 helmet in colder weather. None of those would be worth a damn if hit a wall. Neither would a helmet. That's the thing with accidents you don't get to choose what kind of accident your going to be involved in. You should read the Hurt Report it breaks down the leading causes of motorcycle fatalities quite nicely. Another fact. Riders that were involved in fatal motorcycle accidents would of died with or without helmets.

With that being said your only slightly safer riding a motorcycle wearing a helmet. Just like your only slightly safer wearing a seatbelt while driving a car. It's all about what you consider acceptable risk to an otherwise risking behavior be it drinking, riding or nailing the neighbors daughter.

Oh btw I've worn all types of helmets and I know the advantages and disadvantages. Did you know it would be nearly impossible for Nascar Sprint cup drivers to race without a spotter? Why. All that freaking safety gear does affect there situational awareness. They can barely see out of those cars with all the safety equipment.
          You defy your own logic wearing gear but hardly ever a helmet. Like the judgement of the "majority" in Ohio somehow make it smart and right? What is so funny about the hammer analogy. Tell you what, lets both face-plant on concrete, then try to explain why no helmet is better. Or, make it more fun, go into a turn on a slick surface and see who walks away after their head bounces off the concrete.

And isn't that report old, not taking into account helmet type, age and legality, and doesn't take into consideration accidents where the rider had no or lesser head injuries due to the helmet? And yes, I'll take a baseball to a head or slide at 80mph in leathers and a FF.

How many motorcyclists hit walls? Not very many. And somehow a motorcyclist will die if they wear a helmet or not? False. And by the way, you're far safer with a helmet or a seatbelt. I think you misinterpreted the report conclusions.

You're using NASCAR as a situational aware example? That is laughable. Watch F1, USC or motorcycle racing and the numerous passing attempts, braking points, hitting the apexes and blocking maneuvers per lap and then try to make a claim about situational awareness. That is a major fallacy. A tiny single-digit percentage of blocked peripheral vision has no negative effect on a rider's safety that actually turns his head and uses the mirrors.

Oh, speaking of racing risks. Controlled environment & known surface, good sight lines, no curbs, trees, intersections, distracted drivers, opposing traffic, etc. etc.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 05-05-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?