Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010 | 02:58 PM
          Shags
          Cruiser

Originally Posted by Johnny Dangerously
          What do you have against Knuckleheads? I'll admit they don't looks as nice mebbe as Shovelheads or Big Twins but...
          LMAO.. I didn't think of it that way. Nothing against THOSE knuckleheads.

Old 07-29-2010 | 03:04 PM
          Warpfield
          Cruiser

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Sup guys. I recently bought a '10 Iron 883 and have put about 250 miles on this summer. Its my first bike and my first time ever on a motorcycle. I took all my safety classes and got my license so Ive been taking the necessary steps to become a responsible owner. Ive done a few mods, including drag bars, new seat, pegs etc. The bike looks wicked and people can't believe its a harley and I get tons of compliments.

I wear an Icon SSR full face helmet thats flat black to match the bike. Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets". Im new to the whole culture but I understand it. Ive seen guys wearing vanity helmets that are not DOT approved and they do look cool but I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?
          Sounds like this is coming from the same people that call a Sportster a girl's bike. Just ignore them.

Old 07-29-2010 | 03:17 PM
          catlkn
          Road Captain

I myself wear a half helmet. I own a FF, I've just never worn it. I say to each his own.

I get pretty sick of people trying to define a "real" Harley rider. If you own a Harley and ride it then your a Harley Rider.

Old 07-29-2010 | 03:45 PM
          MokeyJoe
          Cruiser

Being a converted sport biker, I have always worn a full faced helmet. When I bought my Iron, I thought I might try a half helmet. Before I left the dealership with my bike, I ultimately decided against it, since I had a really bad crash involving a close-up of the underside of a late 1980s Monte Carlo SS. On my way home bird **** on the face shield...knew right away that I made the right decision.

Old 07-29-2010 | 04:16 PM
          wraith883
          Cruiser

I have 4 helmets, 2 half helmets, one i'll never wear again due to it being HUGE, a bell bandito and there is my 3/4 hawk helmet with dual visors (one visor covering the entire face and the other visor only blocking the eyes, fighter pilot style). Last is a german novelty helmet...had to get one, they are just to cool not to have one.

Next up is a FF because its gonna get colder sooner than later.

Its hotter than hell here, but I still wear a armored leather/textile jacket, helmet, and kevlar reinforced gloves, steel toed boots anytime I ride. I don't catch many waves from the other badasses on their tassled chromed couches but fu#k it, i've been off a bike twice due to other peoples lack of driving skill to know that having some gear on is better than no gear on at all.

Old 07-29-2010 | 07:07 PM
          fxcruzr
          Novice

Your bike, your choice of helmets, wear what ya want, ride it like ya stole it, don't let crap other people say bother you.

Old 07-29-2010 | 09:57 PM
          95th 1200
          Road Master

I wear a FF, and am glad I do. I've had enough rocks, bugs, asphalt, and sand hit me to know that it would be even worse on the face. When it snows I pop on the heated shield and jump on my sled! I've caught it from people with the "you should get a half helmet" sales pitch, however, a friend of mine has metal plates in his face now from when the front tire blew on his Nightster. His bean was ok since he had a half helmet on, but his face was a different story. Wear what you want when you want, I like having the protection from flying objects

Old 07-29-2010 | 11:27 PM
          lh4x4
          Extreme HDF Member

You are a big boy. Do what ever you want. Unless you are one of those "sensitive" guys.

Old 07-30-2010 | 12:24 PM
          Apaolo
          |
          Novice

Thanks for all the responses, theres alot of passion on this forum. To be honest the harley culture is a strange one and I dont think its adapting very well to current riders. The biggest problem is that that way of thinking scares away future riders. I almost didnt get my Iron, I wanted a sport bike, but I fell in love with the looks and feel. I dont want to regret owning one because of the attached culture persona.

Old 07-30-2010 | 01:21 PM
          Johnny661
          Intermediate

Originally Posted by fxcruzr
          Your bike, your choice of helmets, wear what ya want, ride it like ya stole it, don't let crap other people say bother you.
          I ride what I want to ride, wear what I want to wear when I ride. I could care less what people think "a real Harley Rider is" or wears when riding. When I was looking to buy my Harley, alot of people told me to get a sportbike instead because Asians don't ride Harley's. I guess I should sell my Camaro too & get a Honda Civic instead, I think not. I love American muscle cars & Harley Davidsons.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?