Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

End of the line for the 1200 Custom?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010 | 09:56 PM
Sethiroth
Cruiser

Harley will re-introduce the XL1200C around January as a special order customized bike only off of the web and you pick the dealer of your choice it will be delivered to and set up by.

This is an experiment that they will be trying.

Old 07-28-2010 | 11:27 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Sethiroth
Harley will re-introduce the XL1200C around January as a special order customized bike only off of the web and you pick the dealer of your choice it will be delivered to and set up by.

And you know this how? Is this directly from HD or third party rumor? And by HD, I don't mean a dealer.

Old 07-29-2010 | 02:39 AM
spuddogg
Cruiser

Well as much as I liked the 1200C if they bring it back maybe they will get rid of that fugly riser. And as far as being a girls bike, I can barely get to the battery, I have to zip tie my cover on, I had the stock shift peg fall off at like 100 miles into owning the bike, and with the carb it runs like a$$ for the first 30 minutes, it takes a man to deal with that chit vs climbing onto your "custom" black streetglide with your EFI and your stereo. HA HA just my 2 cents.

Old 07-29-2010 | 04:31 AM
Surgjr
Cruiser

I love my Girly Bike.

Old 07-29-2010 | 07:16 AM
WDHGS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Sethiroth

I heard this also from an owner of a major dealership--it caused a stir amongst the sales folks as they will be totally taken out of the process (read: no commission) and the bike will be custom built and delivered to the dealer who will prep and get you on your way. No sales negotiation either way.

Old 07-29-2010 | 08:47 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member

I think if they put the fuel tank trim and chromed those cast wheels on the super low it would be a hot looking bike.

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 07-29-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-30-2010 | 12:14 AM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by WDHGS
I heard this also from an owner of a major dealership--it caused a stir amongst the sales folks as they will be totally taken out of the process (read: no commission) and the bike will be custom built and delivered to the dealer who will prep and get you on your way. No sales negotiation either way.
$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 07-30-2010 | 12:20 AM
garslayer
Tourer

Harley will do with the "C" what Chevy did with the Camaro and Ford with the Mustang. Both of them learned from the Cabbage Patch Doll's producer.

Old 07-30-2010 | 02:03 AM
Maidenas
Cruiser

I believe the C line is probably the most successfull in Sportster history. 12+ years in production, factory loaded with many features, which other sportster owners payed thousands of $$$ to install...but hey, that is what the MoCo did with Nightster, Iron, 48 etc. The current trend is Dark Custom, so you could say that Nightster, Iron and 48 are the new customs...The sad thing is that there is no classic looking Sportster in the Sportster line...

Anyway, I still remember that Silver-Yellow XL53C I saw back in 1998...it was the coolest bike in the showroom, I then realised that someday I will buy a Custom Sportster. I'm glad I did, 12 years later...

Old 07-30-2010 | 02:45 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master

If it turns out that the order from the internet thing is true, I think that it will work. I really wanted a Roadster, with dual disks up front and a tachometer included and the lowest price for a 1200 Sportster that they offered, it was a NO BRAINER all the way for me. But, I wanted the Chrome and Black finish on the engine and there were only two choices for that, the XL1200C Custom or the XL1200L Low. I picked the Low with the mid mounted foot controls over the forward foot controls and I had to buy the Tachometer and add it to the bike and I still don't have the dual disks up front that I wanted. I think that there are many people that would rather have the option to order their bike their way and not just take what the hell Harley is offering them to choose from at the time. I know that I would if I had the chance to. Hopefully, future Harley riders will have that chance. (YOUR ORDER SIR: Ah, yes! I think that I will have the single disk up front. No! Make that a dual disk up front and I would like matching Mag rims front and rear with the Black finish on them along with the Tachometer and Speedometer in the Black finish and I would like to have the engine finished in the Chrome and Black please and I want you to use the Black color for the gas tank and fenders and anything else that gets painted and this would be for a California model to go. Could you put a touring seat on that too please! A Sundowner will do nicely. Thank you. Oh, and I want the quick detachable backrest with a pad and the luggage rack mounted on the backrest and could you please put on the SE Slip-ons and the SE Air/Cleaner and have it set up on the Dyno with the SERT for me as well? Thank you. WILL THAT BE ALL SIR: Yes. No. Could you please add on the Highway bars too! Thank you. I think that's it! Yes. That's it. Thank you! Uh... How soon with that be ready?)

Quick Reply: End of the line for the 1200 Custom?