Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

End of the line for the 1200 Custom?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010 | 07:23 PM
sigsauer33
Advanced

Looking at the pictures i will say that in general they are similar. But IMO there is a big enough difference that i would pick the custom over the low. At first glace the Low looks almost like a throw back bike where the Custom has smoother lines. Just IMO i am sure others would look at it differently. I can understand where Custom lovers would get ticked about it, i know if they dropped the nightster i would not want to settle for a bike that is "almost" a nightster. But i have faith in HD and i totally agree that they are more than likely going back to the drawing board with this bike and a year from now we will be chatting about the new 2012 custom.

Old 07-27-2010 | 07:39 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sigsauer33
But IMO there is a big enough difference that i would pick the custom over the low.
What "big difference"? I guess I'm just not seeing it.

Same frame, same fenders, same tank, same height, same seat, same chrome engine. No chrome fender braces, no chrome headlight, different risers, no forward controls.

The "lines" are the same with some cosmetic differences.

Old 07-27-2010 | 07:51 PM
Brett001
Road Captain

I don't see anything I like in any model, big or small.
I wish they brought the roadster back, or a taller nicer riding, more sporty low.

The super low is an 883, and has 3.8 inches of ground clearance, and they wont even tell you the lean angles....
Are there crowds of midgets lined up at Harley dealers screaming for motorcycles? I just don't get it.

The 1200 low is $2000.00 over what I paid, or more!

I guess they know their market, and are selling bikes on style, not comfort, or useability, small gas tanks on many, no ground clearance, no usable passenger seat, etc.

Glad I got my bike when I did...

Brett

Old 07-27-2010 | 07:53 PM
sigsauer33
Advanced

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
What "big difference"? I guess I'm just not seeing it.

Same frame, same fenders, same tank, same height, same seat, same chrome engine. No chrome fender braces, no chrome headlight, different risers, no forward controls.

The "lines" are the same with some cosmetic differences.
It can be a slight difference that would make a person pick one bike over the other, not saying i would not ride the Low, i would in a second, i just dont think that the low is a suitable replacement for the custom. Keep in mind this is just IMO. I may be a little pickier when it comes to bikes than most. But i agree the Low is very similar to the custom no doubt about it.

Old 07-27-2010 | 08:09 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Brett001
I wish they brought the roadster back,
and they wont even tell you the lean angles....

Brett
Roadster lovers are now suposed to love the XR, I don't, but that's Harleys thinking.
The lean angles are listed 24.4 & 24.7, compared to my Roadster at 32 & 32, this is not intended to "carve up the twisties" like a Roadster was.
I still say the Roadster was the ultimate "sportster", true to the sporting tradition without trying to be a "mini" touring bike.

Old 07-28-2010 | 08:39 PM
jhamilton118
Intermediate

ok so i a reader not a poster I have a 1200C 2009 not alot on the clock but do I need to worry that they stopped making them I mean this is my first Harley still learning the do's and don't dressing it up and trying to get some miles under my belt its just been my experience its not so great to own something that they dont make anymore guns cars pc's etc. dont get me wrong I love my bike but I just don't know what to make of no 2011 customs

Old 07-28-2010 | 09:00 PM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member

I think it'll be fine...Prolly bring it back differently in a couple years.

Old 07-28-2010 | 09:29 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by notfried
I think it'll be fine...Prolly bring it back differently in a couple years.
Yeah, and they'll name it the Supercustom, or the Supercool.

I've figured it out. Harley have figured out how to stop having the Sportster being called a "girl's bike". They just stop calling it a Sportster and give it "cool" "all-new" names.

Old 07-28-2010 | 09:48 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
Yeah, and they'll name it the Supercustom, or the Supercool.

I've figured it out. Harley have figured out how to stop having the Sportster being called a "girl's bike". They just stop calling it a Sportster and give it "cool" "all-new" names.
yeah your probably right but I'm thinking "THE COOLSTER", can't call that a girlies bike!

Old 07-28-2010 | 09:51 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
"THE COOLSTER"
I like it!

Quick Reply: End of the line for the 1200 Custom?