Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag Bars i know it is a dead issue but i cant find the answers

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 08:13 PM
sigsauer33
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag Bars i know it is a dead issue but i cant find the answers

i have been searching for a long time tonight so not to bother you all with this dead issue but i really cant find these answers (or i am just a computer retard)

I own a 2008 Nightster and i know that i am switching to drag bars (if you have any for sale please let me know...black) So here are my questions.

I will not be adding risers

1. what is the shortest drag bar that i can get with still being able to have the reversed mirrors and turn signals still on the bars with out affecting the turning angle (i move the bike around in my garage a lot to pull out the other bike)

2. I am also considering broom stick bars over drag, is there a big difference?

3. I have seen bars for sale that have dimples, holes or nothing, is there a certain one that i NEED? I dont want to buy a solid bar and find out i needed dimples

4. I have read many posts about being careful due to electrical issues with installing these bars your self, has anyone taken the time to do a step by step with pictures or just a picture to clearly show where you can pinch the wires? Since it seems this is one of the first MODS that people do this might be a huge help to new retards like myself!

5. Lastly is there any trusted sights to look at for bars? if you could provide me links or just sight names for 24-26in drag bars with 4in pull back or broom stick that would be a huge help. If all goes well and i get a set soon i will be more than happy to create the step by step post as long as someone will take me under their wing so i dont mess it up too bad!

Thanks for all your help this site and those involved have been a huge help so far!

Old 07-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing i can help you with is the dimples, if you have them, you need them, unless you decide to run the wires inside the bar.

Take one end off to see if you have dimples, the clutch side, although you should be able to see how the wires come out of the controls.

Brett

Old 07-24-2010, 08:48 PM
sigsauer33
Advanced

Originally Posted by Brett001
The only thing i can help you with is the dimples, if you have them, you need them, unless you decide to run the wires inside the bar.

Take one end off to see if you have dimples, the clutch side, although you should be able to see how the wires come out of the controls.

Brett
Thanks for the input, went out to the bike and no kidding there are dimples there, that was a huge help in helping me find bars, thanks a lot!

Old 07-24-2010, 09:56 PM
AnimalRides
Cruiser

My bars are 27.5 inches. I wouldn't go any shorter than that, because the wires get bunched up and the levers are a real pain in the *** to put back on, even with help. I had to roll the brake line into an S shape to get the bars to fit, and that was pushing it.

I have under mounted mirrors and a 2 inch tank lift, and they clear the tank by millimeters. Just turn the bars both ways before you tighten the mirrors to check the clearance.

I used this tutorial to swap my bars. I had never done it before, and with my mechanically clueless wife, and a couple of beers, we got it done in less than an hour. Make sure you put cardboard in the levers!!

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=258755

I've attached before and after pics and a pic of the brake line I was talking about.

Here's the part number for my bars if you're interested: 65008445

Attached Thumbnails Drag Bars i know it is a dead issue but i cant find the answers-dsc_0106.jpg   Drag Bars i know it is a dead issue but i cant find the answers-dsc_0067.jpg   Drag Bars i know it is a dead issue but i cant find the answers-dsc_0100.jpg  
Old 07-24-2010, 09:58 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a set of black Flanders drag bars you can have for $40 plus shipping.

Drew

Old 07-25-2010, 02:13 AM
sigsauer33
Advanced

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
I have a set of black Flanders drag bars you can have for $40 plus shipping.

Drew
PM sent!

Old 04-24-2011, 06:15 PM
ItsTomFromNorthJersey
Tourer

i have the flanders bars and having a issue with the clutch cable. any of you guys have this problem