Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do if...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010 | 01:14 PM
Archilochus
|
Cruiser
Default What would you do if...

...you caught some cager tipping your bike, then trying to prop it back up to hide the damage?

It's happened to me twice this summer. TWICE! Both times, my bike was parked on the street. I come back to it and realize that it's been knocked over, probably by some ******* cager pulling in/out of the parking spot beside me. Front brake lever is gnarled out of shape; handle bars are skewed; scratches and scuff marks all over the place. Over $500 worth of damage the first time. Happened again this morning, two weeks after I got the bike back from the first time!!!! TWO WEEKS!!!! Man, I'm PISSED. I'll probably never catch the mother****er, but the pleasure of imagining various cruel and unusual torments for the little bitch will help ease my pain until I get the bike back in shape. Any ideas? Thanks for letting me rant.

Old 07-19-2010 | 01:16 PM
VirtualNorm
Road Captain

get one of those security systems that pages you, when it goes of, you can run back and catch him/her red handed..

Old 07-19-2010 | 01:18 PM
Gliden
Club Member

I think based on where you park it is really up to us in taking that risk.

If a guy intentionally said to his buddy..."Hey watch this man....as he knocked over your bike with his pick up...thats one thing". An *** beating is in order.

But if your parking on the street where cars pull in and out parallel parking and such...I think your just asking for a problem.

I'd park that bike in front of a store on the sidewalk before I EVER parked it in the street along and in between other cars coming and going and parking.

Old 07-19-2010 | 01:22 PM
Archilochus
|
Cruiser

Yea, I got one of those. I was down there in minutes. The culprit wasn't there by the time I arrived. The car right behind me still had a warm hood and had scratches on the front. Might be the ***-clown in question, might not. Took some pics, took down the plate number, gave it to the insurance company, but chances are nobody will be able to prove anything, so I'm probably screwed again. Man, I'M SO PISSED!!!! AAAARGH!!!!!

Old 07-19-2010 | 01:24 PM
Daniel Hunter
Cruiser

If I actually caught someone in the act....

With my cel phone in hand I would ask them for their insurance card and if they refused I'd call the police.

Years ago when I rode a sport bike a friend of mine noticed two guys near my GSX-R at school.....actually one was sitting on it. My friend walked up and said "hey, nice bike"....the guy responded "uh, thanks". My friend then said "is it yours?" The guy then responded "no." He was then politely informed that he knew it wasn't his bike and was given a friendly warning that if the guy who owned the bike saw him sitting there he'd beat the hell out of him.

Old 07-19-2010 | 01:27 PM
shopewell
Road Master

+1 on being pretty selective on where I park. I guess if it's your only option you have to deal. I'm definitely more likely to park a good distance away and do a little walking if it's a spot that's safe. I actually think the mini apes help as well because they are visible in cager's mirrors.

Old 07-19-2010 | 01:32 PM
Steeler
Road Captain
Default Howzit

I'd be one unhappy camper,I bet you seect your parking carefully and your space still gets violated.
As mentioned.. parking in regular bays can be a problem most often if you park behind already parked car that can back up,The driver gets in his vehicle and often the bike is in a blind spot.the fist time the driver realises threes something behind him is when he hears a thud,crash,scrape.Most of these drivers don't think its there fault and make a hurried escape.
I take much longer getting parking for my bike that with the car.Although our traffic dept has been allocating more bays for bikes of late.H.

Old 07-19-2010 | 01:35 PM
RACKnRAIL
Road Master

It is for that reason only that I take my truck downtown if I have to go there. The theft rate is high and vandalism is bad too. I had a bike stolen downtown once, so I guess I'm a bit paranoid. My friend recently lost (stolen) his gas cap downtown while it was parked.

Old 07-19-2010 | 03:58 PM
Archilochus
|
Cruiser

Yea, one of the reasons it's so aggravating is that I parked my bike by the book. Found a spot at the front end of the street so that the cagers would HAVE to see it as they pulled out. Left plenty of space for the driver behind me, and angled the bike so that the douche-bag could just pull out and be on his douche-like way. Still, the *** hat found a way to knock the bike down.

The bitch of it is that if you don't know your bike's been down, you're liable to hop on it and go for a ride. And if, say, your brake line got damaged in the fall, you're **** out of luck and possibly dead on the highway, all because some *** clown cager doesn't know how to parallel park. Something like this happened to me the first time my bike got tipped this summer, incidentally. The dip **** knocked it into a pool of oily water. The oils got on my disk brakes, and so the first time I tried to brake, I just kept sailing. Luckily, I had left plenty of space between myself and the guy ahead of me. Had I not done so, I might not be alive right now. All because some **** faced cager couldn't bring himself to use his insurance policy.

If the son of a bitch this morning had just left a note, I wouldn't be so pissed. As it is, I'm ****ing furious.

Again, thanks for letting me rant. Wouldn't mind hearing from other riders who've had their bikes tipped while parked, so that I know I'm not alone with this fury.

Old 07-19-2010 | 05:59 PM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member

Don't know if this will help, but hows about getting a couple of reflective triangles to put on or in front or back of it?

Quick Reply: What would you do if...