Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do if...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010 | 05:09 PM
Archilochus
|
Cruiser

UPDATE:

I found an eyewitness who saw the bike get knocked over. There's also apparently video; a security camera in the adjacent building should have caught some of it. I need to get the police report before the security company will release the footage, and I'll talk to the eyewitness in person tomorrow AM. But things are now looking up.

One good thing that's come of this is that I've gotten to know more people in my neighborhood. Being a New Yorker and living in sort of a rough neighborhood, I instinctively mistrust the people around me. But this experience has actually taught me to have a bit more faith in my fellow human beings. Yea, the NYPD still sucks; they took over 2 hours to show up just to take the police report, and even then they treated me like I was the one who did something wrong. But while I was waiting, total strangers stopped by to talk about the bike, say how much they liked it, offer their sympathies, and pledge to do what they could to help. It was as a result of one of these conversations that I found my eye-witness and heard about the security video.

And, yes, the bike had been stood back up. Twice now, I've had cagers knock the bike over, get out of the car, prop the bike back up, then leave the scene like nothing happened. I don't need to tell you how dangerous that is for us riders. For the douche-bag cager, it's just a scratch on his fender. For us, it's a possible threat to life and limb; one ride down the highway on a damaged bike, and you could very well end up a piece of road kill. Frigging jagoffs. Makes me want to do something violent.

Oh, and for those of you interested in the theft-recovery system, here's a link: http://www.lojack.com/motorcycle/pag...-recovery.aspx

Thanks for the support. It's helped a lot.

Old 07-20-2010 | 05:33 PM
Warpfield
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Auckland
Lay a circle of road spikes around it.
That is an excellent idea. However, I would expect that if a cage driver got a flat from one of your caltrops, they may decide to retaliate in any number of ways.

Old 07-20-2010 | 09:22 PM
ia2189
Club Member

Originally Posted by Archilochus
UPDATE:

I found an eyewitness who saw the bike get knocked over. There's also apparently video; a security camera in the adjacent building should have caught some of it. I need to get the police report before the security company will release the footage, and I'll talk to the eyewitness in person tomorrow AM. But things are now looking up.

One good thing that's come of this is that I've gotten to know more people in my neighborhood. Being a New Yorker and living in sort of a rough neighborhood, I instinctively mistrust the people around me. But this experience has actually taught me to have a bit more faith in my fellow human beings. Yea, the NYPD still sucks; they took over 2 hours to show up just to take the police report, and even then they treated me like I was the one who did something wrong. But while I was waiting, total strangers stopped by to talk about the bike, say how much they liked it, offer their sympathies, and pledge to do what they could to help. It was as a result of one of these conversations that I found my eye-witness and heard about the security video.

And, yes, the bike had been stood back up. Twice now, I've had cagers knock the bike over, get out of the car, prop the bike back up, then leave the scene like nothing happened. I don't need to tell you how dangerous that is for us riders. For the douche-bag cager, it's just a scratch on his fender. For us, it's a possible threat to life and limb; one ride down the highway on a damaged bike, and you could very well end up a piece of road kill. Frigging jagoffs. Makes me want to do something violent.

Oh, and for those of you interested in the theft-recovery system, here's a link: http://www.lojack.com/motorcycle/pag...-recovery.aspx

Thanks for the support. It's helped a lot.
That's great news! Good to see there's still good people in the world that still have a sense of doing the right thing. Hopefully, justice (of some kind) will be served.

Old 07-23-2010 | 03:29 PM
Archilochus
|
Cruiser

Another update: the guilty party admitted knocking over my bike, so everything will be covered under said party's insurance. It's been an upsetting experience, but all's well that ends well. I made some new friends, and I've actually learned to have a little more faith in humanity as a result of this experience. Ride safe, brothers and sisters.

Old 07-23-2010 | 03:32 PM
Nightside
Intermediate
Cool

Originally Posted by Archilochus
...you caught some cager tipping your bike, then trying to prop it back up to hide the damage?

It's happened to me twice this summer. TWICE! Both times, my bike was parked on the street. I come back to it and realize that it's been knocked over, probably by some ******* cager pulling in/out of the parking spot beside me. Front brake lever is gnarled out of shape; handle bars are skewed; scratches and scuff marks all over the place. Over $500 worth of damage the first time. Happened again this morning, two weeks after I got the bike back from the first time!!!! TWO WEEKS!!!! Man, I'm PISSED. I'll probably never catch the mother****er, but the pleasure of imagining various cruel and unusual torments for the little bitch will help ease my pain until I get the bike back in shape. Any ideas? Thanks for letting me rant.

Beat the living s#!t out of him, then get his insurance information so his sorry @$$ can pay for the damages.

Old 07-23-2010 | 04:35 PM
valacech
Advanced

You did the right thing involving the police. Your insurance is more likely to be helpful (depending on your deductible) if there is a police report. My reponse to your post is that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Park on the sidewalk if permissible. Or, try to park where there is a bank, ATM, convenience store, post office or other similar establishment close by. These places often have cameras and if your bike gets wrecked, a judge may issue a subpoena for those records if you can convince him that there may be evidence of the criminal act recorded by them. Then you'll be on your way to catching the SOB.

If only there were a way to have your bike dole out a 1.21 gigawat lightning bolt to whatever touched it... A man can dream.

Last edited by valacech; 07-23-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-23-2010 | 05:55 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior

Wait, wait wait....!!!!! Didn't anyone notice that the OP, and several others on this thread used the term....CAGER?! Didn't we come to the conclusion in another thread that anyone using that term is just a poser and is just trying to look like a "real biker"?

Old 07-23-2010 | 11:16 PM
br401k
Cruiser

hey happened to me after a week of having a 2010 brand new iron. thank god i was skateboarding where it was parked! guy cause 3 grand of damage all to the right side! even broke the triple tree!!