Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Sportster Cafe Racer Picture Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 04:12 PM
rodteague
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=wachuko;11714052]Crap, Sportster Police is around...

Copyrighted image removed by moderator.

great thread; really like this bike. Would like to see close ups of the chain tensioner; curious to see how they mounted the Monster part.

Last edited by IzzoQuazzo; 09-23-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:15 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,400 Likes on 2,028 Posts

[QUOTE=bmxatv;11775852]NO! Don't let the urge to contribute make you lose sight of why you were on this thread to begin with. I started it...and it's not changing! SPORTY'S ONLY!

I can agree with you, I am really enjoying your thread. But you must admit a couple of the Dyna Café bikes were outstanding examples.....................your not worried about Dyna's outclassing Sporty's are you?

Old 09-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

[QUOTE=perki48;11776481]
Originally Posted by bmxatv
NO! Don't let the urge to contribute make you lose sight of why you were on this thread to begin with. I started it...and it's not changing! SPORTY'S ONLY!

I can agree with you, I am really enjoying your thread. But you must admit a couple of the Dyna Café bikes were outstanding examples.....................your not worried about Dyna's outclassing Sporty's are you?
No. But Sportster owners, who make up the overwhelming majority of contributors on this thread, don't own Dynas to modify.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:59 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[quote=perki48;11776481]
Originally Posted by bmxatv
NO! Don't let the urge to contribute make you lose sight of why you were on this thread to begin with. I started it...and it's not changing! SPORTY'S ONLY!

Nope....not at all. dyna's are the worst model they ever made imo.
[quote=Thumper26;11776530]
Originally Posted by perki48

No. But Sportster owners, who make up the overwhelming majority of contributors on this thread, don't own Dynas to modify.
What thumper said!

Old 09-18-2013, 03:57 PM
grancuda
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
.....your not worried about Dyna's outclassing Sporty's are you?
Ha, the red headed stepchild of the Harley line outclassing the Sportster. The Dyna doesn’t know if it belongs with the sportster family or with the big twin family of motorcycles.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:26 PM
BurlyBrand
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man.

Peralta wheel does a good job keeping tension on the chain at full extension of the suspension, but is static and does not follow the chain through the suspension stroke (like a traditional chain tensioner would). Challenge created by tall shocks is chain (or for that matter belt) has to be run loose at full extension, it will gain tension as the swingarm goes through the stroke and forces the wheel further away from the motor (swingarm pivots on different axis than sprockets do)

That make sense?

I mounted it to the exhaust flange on the back of the frame. Here's a closeup

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/95912667036815794/

and some more on the bike:
http://www.pinterest.com/burlybrand/cafe-racer/

Originally Posted by rodteague
great thread; really like this bike. Would like to see close ups of the chain tensioner; curious to see how they mounted the Monster part.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:15 PM
c0jones
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BurlyBrand
Thanks man.

Peralta wheel does a good job keeping tension on the chain at full extension of the suspension, but is static and does not follow the chain through the suspension stroke (like a traditional chain tensioner would). Challenge created by tall shocks is chain (or for that matter belt) has to be run loose at full extension, it will gain tension as the swingarm goes through the stroke and forces the wheel further away from the motor (swingarm pivots on different axis than sprockets do)

That make sense?

So it's not like this one?
http://www.monstercraftsman.com/powe...ain-tensioner/

Old 09-19-2013, 05:47 PM
BurlyBrand
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope. Just a wheel bolted through the exhaust tab off the frame. Pretty low drama, except now I have three wheels left.

Here's a build thread. http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27564

Originally Posted by c0jones

Old 09-19-2013, 11:38 PM
rodteague
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BurlyBrand
Thanks man.

That make sense?

BB

Thanks for the reply; about an hour after I posted I went to MC USA and found the write up on your Burly Cafe. Quick google search and found your build thread. The aspect I found most appealing about both your Scrambler and Cafe builds was the simplicity. Bare bones, shade tree mechanic, off the shelf type stuff. It's refreshing not to see builds freckled with "CNC" and CAD" for a change. You make it simple, with stellar results.

Gives hope to all of us yard apes who can barely turn a nut without cross threading

Seeing the Peralta wheel made me think you used a Monster Craftsman tensioner; I like your spartan approach.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Rod

Last edited by rodteague; 09-19-2013 at 11:51 PM. Reason: withdrew question so as not to hijack the thread
Old 09-20-2013, 01:54 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

damn this bike! god damn this thing!
Copyrighted image removed by moderator.

Last edited by IzzoQuazzo; 09-23-2013 at 10:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Official Sportster Cafe Racer Picture Thread