Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Man in Manila need help before buying a 1996 Sportster 1200

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 11:56 PM
hanns76
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Man in Manila need help before buying a 1996 Sportster 1200

hi Harley guru's

Greetings from the Philippines!

I need your expert opinion with my upcoming decision to purchase of a 1996 Sportster 1200, i haven't got much idea of this bike, but just wondering if its a good performing machine.

im a cruiser type biker, heres my story, back in 2007, I previously owned two 400cc honda steed's (or shadows counterpart in the US), but unfortunately I had an accident with them, so in short after fixing them, i sold them to try a kawasaki Ninja 2002 ZX6R 600cc, fair enough its fast and stylish but more dangerous, i almost got pinned by a huge truck and a local jeepney at 190 kph, good thing i accelerated to 200 easily and got away with it, riding position hurts my hands and back, so after that incident, it led me going back to cruisers. now i have a kawasaki vulcan classic 1997 400cc, but its not really impressing me, i mean i admit its a harley look-a-like but still the original HD is persisting on me.

to make the story short, its going to be my first liter bike harley, but i don't know if its going to be worth-it to ride one, i heard so much bad stories about it, like its not meant for a tropical county like the philippines, it tends to over heat, parts easily breakdown and the never ending story of a myth "oil leak" (is this true?), by the way every time i'm opt to buy one, there's always this "friend approach" that keep's discouraging me, always their opinions are "Japanese cruisers are best compare to harley's"…, but for me i can't prove it until i ride one, one even say's "harley's are built to last forever"….."in your garage"… probably they often say that because of the breakage vs. the times used.

so guys this is the harley that im talking about, its a 1996 Sportster 1200 cost around 380,000 Philippines pesos or around 8,000 US. i know its quite pricey but we don't have a local dealer here in the philippines or Harley philippines, they are all bought in imported by several individuals so tax is killing the price.

so guys can you enlighten me, if this is worth every penny? i mean having a harley is a prestige already here the philippines, but being practical and wise is it really durable? compared to other similar type cruiser including Japanese cycles?

durability?
are the harley parts tough as Japanese cruiser?
gas?
oil?
vibrations? is this rubber mounted?
etc… anything that can compliment or disadvantages of the 1996 harley sportster 1200…

thanks in advance

if ever i'm going to push through with this purchase, this would probably my ultimate last bike since this is my ultimate dream to have a harley here in the philipipnes, that i will ride for years to come, so if this goes well, i want to ride it until i cannot ride it anymore…

thanks for your inputs highly appreciate it...

My first honda Steed 1997 400cc aka Honda Shadow (Sold for 2,800USD):

My second honda Steed 1999 400cc(Sold for 4,400USD):

I love the ape hangers...

Until i had an accident with them...

My first sportsbike Kawasaki ZX6R 600cc 2002 (Sold for 5000USD):

love this fast bike until i had that incident...

My Kasawaki Vulcan Classic 400cc 1997 (waiting to be sold for 5000USD): to give way for a 1996 Harley Sportster 1200, do you think is worth-it?

Last edited by hanns76; 07-16-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:03 AM
hanns76
6th Gear
Default photos of me and my bikes

more photos

Last edited by hanns76; 07-16-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:24 AM
wishbone550
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A sportster is a great bike. Ok first off oil leaks are a thing of the past with harleys. Yes some do overheat in thick traffic with 100+degree heat but i live in 110+ and never have problems. My bike never breaks either. I guess they just have a bad rep in the phillipines.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:53 AM
fixedmlc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd think that's too much for that age sportster, unless you could give some perspective.....how much for a brand new one?

That Vulcan you're riding right now is pretty cool.....why get rid of it?

That is a clean looking 1996.

Last edited by fixedmlc; 07-16-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:43 PM
hanns76
6th Gear

Originally Posted by fixedmlc
I'd think that's too much for that age sportster, unless you could give some perspective.....how much for a brand new one?

That Vulcan you're riding right now is pretty cool.....why get rid of it?

That is a clean looking 1996.
Hi fixedmlc,

the reason why im shifting to harley, because all of the cruiser i had are just trying hard harley's hehe (sorry Japs) except for the Ninja, beside's im trying to stay away from liquid cooled engines, thats why i prefered the air cooled Sportster.

also unfortunately we dont have a harley dealer here in the philippines, a new one (if imported presonally) would cost twice or three time as much as marketed in the US. so i have no choice, besides this is the cheapest 1200 ive seen here in the Phil's others would cost 450,000Phil Pesos or 20,700USD for a 2006 and over Sportster still a second hand. a 1300cc evo glide would cost well over 1,000,000 Phil pesos or 46,000 USD. and still a second hand.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:47 PM
hanns76
6th Gear

Originally Posted by wishbone550
A sportster is a great bike. Ok first off oil leaks are a thing of the past with harleys. Yes some do overheat in thick traffic with 100+degree heat but i live in 110+ and never have problems. My bike never breaks either. I guess they just have a bad rep in the phillipines.

is it true that you have to put "loctite" on every engine bolt, everytime you go on a long drive, lets say 200 to 300 kilometers?

Old 07-16-2010, 08:02 PM
horsepower
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your questions are somewhat ridiculous. Why put loctite on every bolt? That 96 looks kinda worn out. Dont buy it. Too expensive. Just read the forums & you will learn alot. Sportsters here in Philippines aint that expensive as you mentioned. Pls check out motorcyclephilippines.com or sulit .com.ph they have several sportsters for sale there. BTW, im from the Philippines too.

Last edited by horsepower; 07-16-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I was just in the Phillippines in May after a 20 year absence. I've been all over the world. I saw some Chinese made Harley Wanna bees when i was there I saw no big twins or anything near a Sportster. I wouldn't pay half the asking price of that Sporty. I bought a 2006 883 with 1500 miles on it basically brand new for $4500.00 U.S. On a sided note driving in the Philippines is nearly suicidal lol One day they may invent, lanes , stop signs or even stop light The local traffic in outlying area's other then the Manila expressway would kill a Harley motor. Slow, Slow, and more slow. Thats why they use scooters or 125cc or less motors on most cycles there. Good luck.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:31 AM
hanns76
6th Gear

Originally Posted by horsepower
Your questions are somewhat ridiculous. Why put loctite on every bolt? That 96 looks kinda worn out. Dont buy it. Too expensive. Just read the forums & you will learn alot. Sportsters here in Philippines aint that expensive as you mentioned. Pls check out motorcyclephilippines.com or sulit .com.ph they have several sportsters for sale there. BTW, im from the Philippines too.
Hi there Horsepower,

i was adviced by one big bike mechanic that those bolts starts to loose ones you use the bike on long rides, specially the lower years. i mean i too was suprised by that hehehe! by the way i visited some shops that do sells harley's like one there in makati, well its really jacked-up prices man! a second hand heritage for a cool million pesos whew! thats more than top end of harleys here in Alaska. well taxes and corruptions seems wondering around manila, too bad there's no Harley philippines.

im from makati by the way. im here in alaska for work but will be back by October.

PS: that 1996 sportster above was from motorcyclephilippines.com i also learned that it was also sold at sulit.com just noticed the bike when the buyer from sulit changed the handle bars, though maybe its just one owner, he just trying to get rid of the bike, notice the rear tire? its Duro brand man thats a cheap tire for a harley haha! maybe just maye he cant maintain it anymore.

a little help if you could point me out where i can seek a good sportster.

Salamat!

Old 07-17-2010, 12:44 AM
hanns76
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
I was just in the Phillippines in May after a 20 year absence. I've been all over the world. I saw some Chinese made Harley Wanna bees when i was there I saw no big twins or anything near a Sportster. I wouldn't pay half the asking price of that Sporty. I bought a 2006 883 with 1500 miles on it basically brand new for $4500.00 U.S. On a sided note driving in the Philippines is nearly suicidal lol One day they may invent, lanes , stop signs or even stop light The local traffic in outlying area's other then the Manila expressway would kill a Harley motor. Slow, Slow, and more slow. Thats why they use scooters or 125cc or less motors on most cycles there. Good luck.
Hello Wildon,

yup theres a lot chinese cruisers roaming around manila, there are Vtwins but no big twins, but if you stumble by makati there's this local joint called "handlebar" saw harley's there i believe the motorcycle club is called "MadDogs".

man your lucky to get that 06 883. we have Jap cruisers but still Harley is a Harley as my 3 year old son kept telling me hehehe! imagine words coming from my son's mouth hahaha!

still seeking a more reputable price vs condition sportster, hi hope for a high luck!

by the way since youve visited manila, did you try looking for a harley? they advice me to look in subic Olonggapo, (Ex US base) told me I can still find a good harley there, but i doubt it, those expat riding bikers left the phils in 91, so the bikes that they left probably rotten or chopped by a wanna be chopper gods.

yah i admit traffic sucks in manila, that's why i freq ride outof town whenver on vacation.

Quick Reply: Man in Manila need help before buying a 1996 Sportster 1200