Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone having problems with the 1200 engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010 | 10:14 PM
Tryr
|
Intermediate

I am upset with myself as I have waited this long to learn and uderstand my bike. I will be getting the manual very soon and reading it like the bible. the last service I had a couple of months ago was a nightmare for me and the service was not even satisfactory at best. I am also starting to believe the quality of work was way below the $1400.00 worth of work I had done to my bike as well.

just want to send a quick thank you to all who have been responding to this thread. your help and knowledge is very helpful for me. I have learned more about my bike in the last 3 days in the forum than I have since I have owned and bought it. Life long learning from here on.

Old 07-15-2010 | 10:23 PM
Tryr
|
Intermediate

thank you all for posting into this thread. I have learned more about my bike in the last 5 day in this forum than I have since I bought my bike or at the dealers. life long learning from here out

Old 07-15-2010 | 10:44 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member

$1,400.00 for service? what the heck kind of service do you get for fourteen hundred bucks?

Old 07-15-2010 | 11:20 PM
2KSport
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Brett001
Just buy a compression tester.
Get the screw in type, pull the plugs, screw in the compression gauge, crank the motor over, repeat on the other cylinder.
Both should read very close.

You can have a bad valve, sometimes you need a new valve and a grind.
Sometimes just a grind will fix things up.

What makes you think you loose compression?
No way to tell that without doing the test, unless you have a kickstart...

A burnt valve stays burnt, and would always run poorly, and I don't think it would last long before it melts, breaks, and trashes the cylinder.

Brett
I agree with Brett,also you said you noticed a burning smell like a wire and loss of power I would look at the VOE it is located behind the carb between the rockerboxs,it is a round disk with vacum line on one end and wires on the other controls timming advance and retard if i'm not mistaken.Good Luck keep us posted

Old 07-16-2010 | 08:48 AM
Brett001
Road Captain

Knowledge is power.Not sure how it is with most bike shops, but I know most shops for cars (dealers included) often have people working there that know less then I do, and/or are just out for money.Been riding since I was 14 years old, and never had any bike or car in a shop except for car tire changes.Only had to get towed home once, just a few years ago after some cheap tappet adjusters came apart on my Triumph and trashed the oil pump.All the money I have saved would likely pay for a few nice bikes, plus if I do have a problem someplace, I can fix it most times.Even if you don't want to wrench on a bike (or car), its still good to know what is going on so you can spot the BS the shop might tell you, and I have heard some really wild stuff over the years.I have a lot to learn about my bike.Its new, so I have not had to do much to it, its been totaly trouble free so far, just lube changes, and a primary chain adjustment, but I have the shop manual and look through it from time to time.Reading the mail here is great, I learned the stock clutch might not last long before the rivets come apart, the stators can fail, the starters are not great, and the relays and crank position sensors tend to crap out.Wires and their routing are something I pay attention to, on my bike, the wires to the regulator were too tight, and one spark plug wire was rubbing on the gas tank....I also found out Mobil 1 15w50 is a good deal in the motor, and the 20w50 V twin oil is good in the primary.I also found out I could bash out the exhaust baffles without problems, but should get some sort of tuner eventually to make the motor run cooler and get more power.Lots more to learn....Brett

Old 12-23-2010 | 07:45 PM
thegaspesian
Intermediate

i just bought mine xl1200 2008 im a firm believer in leaving a bike stock hard to believe the price to rebuild a motor i paid 8000$ for the bike this morning
well good luke maybe you could find an accidented bike and just swap the engine your self good luck

Old 12-24-2010 | 05:30 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1970FL
.. ...normal temp after 5-10 miles...
Takes longer than 5-10 miles to reach normal temps.....

Old 12-24-2010 | 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Thundermug
Takes longer than 5-10 miles to reach normal temps.....
Then you're doing something wrong. Even in freezing temperatures, you should be at normal temps within 10 miles.

Old 12-24-2010 | 12:32 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
$1,400.00 for service? what the heck kind of service do you get for fourteen hundred bucks?
+1 here. How does a routine service run a $1400 tab?

Old 12-24-2010 | 06:48 PM
midnight2005
Banned

the smell of something burning while riding sounds like a stuck brake. next time you smell it, get off and check both rotors to see if they are hot.

Quick Reply: anyone having problems with the 1200 engine