Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

couple ? - doing lift, wire tuck and coil relocate today...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:21 AM
dlhike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple ? - doing lift, wire tuck and coil relocate today...

2007 xl1200r...
Bought kit off of ebay as don't have tools to fab the stuff.

Kit came with tank lift brackets, bolts, thread covers, coil relocate bracket, high heat rubber shield, screamin eagle plug wires, fuel line, vacum line, zip ties and brief instructions.

My questions are...
1.) do i need to use longer fuel line and vacum line that came with the kit doing a 2 inch lift?

2.) do i need to completely remove tank to tuck wires?

3.) do I need to partially disassemble wire bundles to tuck them or just move them as is to top of frame?

Any advice will help, have read most of the threads on this and am a shade tree mech and feel like I can do it no problem, just hoped to answer these questions before I start.

Will post pictures when done.

Attached Thumbnails couple ? - doing lift, wire tuck and coil relocate today...-118.jpg  
Old 07-15-2010, 09:13 AM
tjyosh
Cruiser

this might help , iam doing the same thing on the weekend https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...n-my-take.html

Old 07-15-2010, 09:34 AM
dlhike
Cruiser
Default thanks

Originally Posted by tjyosh
this might help , iam doing the same thing on the weekend https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...n-my-take.html
I read this post(great advice and will use the block on tank method) - I guess reading it second time he does not mention using new fuel line or vacum line but he is only lifting 1.5" I am lifting 2".

He also doesn't get into much detail on tucking the wires hence my questions.

So I thought anyone else that had done this might have some additional advice?

Old 07-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Steeler
Road Captain
Default Howzit

I lifted my tank to about 3 inches and then lowered it to two i'm happy with the look.
On The wireng loom.
You'll have to loosen some of the wires from the bundle the ones thet go to the coil and the ignition and the hooter you the bunch the rest and wrap them with tape. you get a wider black tape mine's about 50mm and that neatens up the mess of wires,remember if you shorten any of the wires,you will have to do the opposite if you tire of the lift and want to go back to standard mount.(not that I will)looks much neater/cleaner,wires hidden under the tank..
For the time being you can cable tie the coil to the frame under the tank just behind the funny bracket on the frame,you can use your existing plug leads this way just tuck the long one under the tank.
There are some pics of my mods in my albums.
Give me a shout if you need any help.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Steeler
Road Captain
Default Howzit

OOPs forgot to mention the fuel line,On the nighster its long enough but when you lift the tank to work on the wireing just clip it off its got one of those slide/sleave clip on goodies.Don't worry to drain the tank it doesn't leak when you clip it off.Then when you drop the tank back into its new place just re connect the fuel line.H.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:03 PM
hungoverdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dlhike
2007 xl1200r...
Bought kit off of ebay as don't have tools to fab the stuff.

Kit came with tank lift brackets, bolts, thread covers, coil relocate bracket, high heat rubber shield, screamin eagle plug wires, fuel line, vacum line, zip ties and brief instructions.

My questions are...
1.) do i need to use longer fuel line and vacum line that came with the kit doing a 2 inch lift?

2.) do i need to completely remove tank to tuck wires?

3.) do I need to partially disassemble wire bundles to tuck them or just move them as is to top of frame?

Any advice will help, have read most of the threads on this and am a shade tree mech and feel like I can do it no problem, just hoped to answer these questions before I start.

Will post pictures when done.
I didn't use any extra lines for the fuel

If you just take the front bolts out to tuck the wires you'll be fine. remember to un plug the vacum line and fuel line when tilting the tank

I re-bundled all my wires to make it easier for the tuck but didn't take any plugs off or anything, try and stagger the plugs so u don't get big bulks of them.

Hope this helps.