Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

debating...412 or 440s

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:56 PM
yotaweeler
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default debating...412 or 440s

OK so theirs so many post about these shocks.

i cant seem to decide on the 412s or the 440 progressives.
heres the low down, ol'blues a 2005 xl1200c and Stock shocks blow. well i weight about 205 W/ all my gear and my g/f weights about 135 w/ her gear=340 so wat shocks? talking to the progressive tech guy he said to go with the 440 standard duty. he said it would be perfect for the curvy roads i commute and would be enough for me and her on the weekends. wat gets me is the lifetime warranty on the 440s and if i want to change to the H D springs they'll do it for only 30 bucks. but there pricey, found them on onestopmoto.com for only 439.95 on the other hand the 412 are only 209.95 and id have to go with the H-D ones and only one year warranty. kinda debating but Ive learned you pay for Wat ya get as well...o and i was gonna go with the 12.5" shocks too either one i choose

PS sorry for the long rambling

Old 07-13-2010, 12:45 AM
ranalli7777
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally can't give an opinion on the 440's since I've never ridden a bike that had them. They seem pretty high tech being gas charged and automatically adjusting to the road conditions. Sounds like they might be the way to go. I have 13" 412's and they are a nice improvement from the stock shocks and are good quality. They work great through the twisties and two up as well.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 AM
DaytonaSportster
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My $.02......
Road King shocks, 12" (FL have 13" see https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...nd-length.html for info) can be had for under $80 all day on ebay, $60 if you are patient. Adjustable and will fit the bill nicely.
If you really want chrome, there are several people selling chrome 12" air shocks for about $130.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:33 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

hey man if you're going to get shocks, go ahead and pick up a matched suspension for the front. you can put a million dollars into gold-plated ohlins for the rear and it wont matter if you don't do something with the front end.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Brett001
Road Captain

I don't know anything about the 440's, but I doubt you would wear out the 412's.If you plan on keeping the bike for a LONG time, and are sure you want/like 13 inch 440's, they are likely the way to go being better shocks.I am glad I did not get them tho, as I went to 12 inch, then 12.5 inch, and will get 13 inch shocks, as each step up improves the ride a lot, and does not seem to ruin the handling. I am getting close to the exhaust mount with the belt though, so 13 is likely as big as I can go.Brett

Old 07-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Hitechluddite
Road Warrior

I've got 13" 412's and no complaints. I would take certainreed's advice and do the front at the same time. Prog front springs can be had for less than $100 and made more diff than the rears did on my bike.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:48 PM
yotaweeler
Advanced

I have the front springs ordered already, should be here late next week. they were only 85 buck or so.
I was gonna do the 12.5 rears, do i have to make any adjustments to the belt or ne thing else if i do the 12.5 or 13" shocks?

Old 07-14-2010, 12:58 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I currently own and ride a ’99 XL883 that has a new set of Progressive 13’’ rear shocks mounted on it. In fact, Progressive Suspension actually borrowed my Sportster for a while to help them make the measurements to be able to produce the rear shocks for the older models like mine and they were the ones that mounted the rear shocks on my bike and they also included and mounted a new set of front fork springs on it as well. Todd over at Progressive Suspension was VERY COOL and was very helpful too! Just a GREAT guy to work with! Progressive Suspension also had a booth at the Laughlin River Run this year and the gang was there answering questions and showing people what their suspension parts look like and how they performed. I also have to agree 100% with Certainteed on the front end upgrade. When I picked my Sportster up to take it home after the whole new suspension parts had been installed front and rear, it was as if I had a brand new motorcycle to ride. I ended up riding over 300 miles that day and I didn’t want to stop riding. It made a whole world of difference in the way the bike felt and how it handled. I just love it even more now. That said, if I knew then what I know now, I would have offered extra money to have the 440 rear shocks installed. #1. THEY ARE REBUILDABLE! Most rear shocks are NOT! #2. They have a LIFETIME warranty on them. Most rear shocks do NOT! #3. They have an Active Inertia valve system that helps the shocks do their job better than almost any other rear shock out there that doesn’t have the Active Inertia valve system. I think that this AIS valve comes from RICOR, although it is not RICOR’s most current design of their proprietary AIS valve system. #4. You can always keep these shocks and use them on another Harley if you ever decide to sell the current bike that you own now. In all honesty, I have NEVER ridden on a set of Progressive 440 rear shocks yet, but, in my opinion, I feel that they are a MUCH better valve compared to the Progressive 412 rear shocks if for nothing else that just for the four reasons that I have outlined above. I hope that this helps with your rear shock buying decision. Good luck and ride safe out there!

Old 07-14-2010, 08:06 PM
yotaweeler
Advanced

TY for the info. i have decided to go with the 440's
but now its 12" or 13"? i was wondering if i have to change any thing out?
belt?

Old 07-14-2010, 10:57 PM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that you will be VERY happy with the 440s and no, you do not need a new belt. I have the 13s on my bike and I still have the stock belt on it. Once the new 13s are installed, you can sit on the bike to see how it feels and you can also check to see if the belt tension is in the correct range. Good luck with your shock install and ride safe out there!

Quick Reply: debating...412 or 440s