Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank Lift and Coil/ignition relocation on the 48

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 07:41 AM
Moustache
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank Lift and Coil/ignition relocation on the 48

Spent my entire Saturday afternoon relocating the coil/ignition and lifting the tank 2" on my 48. I followed Joebotics writeup relocating the coil to the frams and not the engine. This way the coil is not effected by engine vibration.

The tank was also lifted 2-2 1/2" with some metal brackets i found at HD (Home Depot)

Question for the wire tuck guys, did you really fit all of those wires and connectors under the tank? My wires wrapped around the frame and had some very large connectors on them making the wire tuck very difficult

Pics:

To anyone thinking about doing this mod, the most difficult part was building the new ignition wires. Everything else was fairly simple as long as your familiar with tools and using your hands

Thanks for looking!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:41 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not bad at all. I love where you put the ING swith.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:15 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

well done!.. it is looking real good...

Old 07-12-2010, 12:42 PM
GermDog48
Advanced

Looks nice man!.......What did you have to do to come up with a bracket for the coil relocation?

Old 07-12-2010, 12:49 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Looks good, I think most people who do the wire tuck cut off the connectors and solder the wires together.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Moustache
Cruiser

XL50 - Thanks man, all credit goes to Joebotics since i followed his thread

Joe - Couldn't have done it without your writeup! How did you go about tucking your wires. I want to go back and clean then up a little more.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Moustache
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GermDog48
Looks nice man!.......What did you have to do to come up with a bracket for the coil relocation?
I used a combination of the stock coil bracket (rotated 90*) and a 2" flat piece of steel so that the coil would clear the quick release on the tank.

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Looks good, I think most people who do the wire tuck cut off the connectors and solder the wires together.
Thats is what i was thinking while i was doing it but i dont want to void my warrenty hacking up the wiring harness Thanks for the input

Old 07-12-2010, 03:23 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey Moustache... what I did was to remove all the unnecessary cable protecting covers and remove any ties that kept the cables attached to the chassis, then try to gain some slack by pulling from the cables, then align them on top of the chassis, next wrap the cables around the chassis tubing by using good quality black electric tape... the electric tape really conceals the cables and it is really hard to tell there is electric tape going around the tubing.... good quality electric tape is important so weather and engine heat doesn't damage it...

Old 07-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Moustache
Cruiser

Originally Posted by joebotics
Hey Moustache... what I did was to remove all the unnecessary cable protecting covers and remove any ties that kept the cables attached to the chassis, then try to gain some slack by pulling from the cables, then align them on top of the chassis, next wrap the cables around the chassis tubing by using good quality black electric tape... the electric tape really conceals the cables and it is really hard to tell there is electric tape going around the tubing.... good quality electric tape is important so weather and engine heat doesn't damage it...
Thanks for the heads up joe!!

Germdog Heres a photo of the bracket i made for the coil so that it would not rub the fuel line. Its basically an extension down from the bracket in Joebotics thread

The new gap

And a few randoms with the upper and lower belt guards removed. The pulley cover is coming off tonight.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:16 PM
onebagger15
Tourer

Looks real good man.

Quick Reply: Tank Lift and Coil/ignition relocation on the 48