Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank Lift and Coil/ignition relocation on the 48

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:39 PM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Moustache
Spent my entire Saturday afternoon

To anyone thinking about doing this mod, the most difficult part was building the new ignition wires. Everything else was fairly simple as long as your familiar with tools and using your hands

Thanks for looking!
Just started doing the coil relo and wire tuck tonight. Got all the plastic sleeves off, the coil and ignition brackets off. I'm confused on how to move the coil wire plug-in to the middle of my engine. There is a small diameter wire bundle that runs up the left side that has the coil wires. Looking at your pics, I don't see yours there. Did you move it? Can you explain how you did that? Is this what you mean when you talk about building the new ignition wires? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Moustache
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you talking about the small wires that blug into the rear of the coil with a little plastic clip? I tracked those wires back to the main bundle, removed the wire tape so i could stretch the plug. It was a real tight fit.

btw i notice your in odenton, if you need help with it let me know, those ignition wires were a real bi***

Old 08-03-2010, 01:55 AM
trnewman
Tourer

Originally Posted by Moustache
Are you talking about the small wires that blug into the rear of the coil with a little plastic clip? I tracked those wires back to the main bundle, removed the wire tape so i could stretch the plug. It was a real tight fit.

btw i notice your in odenton, if you need help with it let me know, those ignition wires were a real bi***
Exactly! I'm not sure what I got myself into with this project. Hate seeing my new bike in pieces... I could use some help, where are you located?

Old 08-03-2010, 02:55 AM
Steeler
Road Captain
Default Howzit

Bike looks good....I Think the nighster tank has a little more space,my WIREING fitted relativlly easilly but i did stagger the connectors and cable tie them as not to bunch.I also did the wiring and then dropped the tank back onto them that was the lowest lif from there i lifted the tank to the height i wanted.H.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Moustache
Cruiser

trnewman - I hear you on that, its especially hard when your not experienced and looking at your bike in pieces. it can be a little intimidating. I'm in annapolis MD, if you need help let me know and we can sort it out this afternoon when im off.

steeler. Im sdure the nightster tank does have more room since it is bigger. If trnewman needs help this afternoon im going to re-do my wires as well.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:39 AM
trnewman
Tourer

Moustache, thanks for the offer. I am going to give it one more look this afternoon before asking you to help. I may take some pics of the issue I'm speaking of and ask for your assistance. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Moustache
Cruiser

Sounds good man, goodluck

Old 08-03-2010, 08:34 PM
trnewman
Tourer
Default Finished!

Well, I gutted it out and finished. Very hapy with the results, love the look of the tank. Was suprised it started right up after putting everything back together. Took it for a spin and seemed to run the same. Now to put on the RK air shocks I bought a few months ago..lol

Moustache, what other mods are on your radar? I'm looking to add a spring seat, sissy bar, upgraded headlight, z bar handlebars, and new paint.

Attached Thumbnails Tank Lift and Coil/ignition relocation on the 48-dsc_0331.jpg   Tank Lift and Coil/ignition relocation on the 48-dsc_0332.jpg  
Old 08-03-2010, 08:47 PM
6sick6
Advanced

I posted this on your other thread about lifting your tank a couple days ago.
Figured I'd throw in my 2 cents...

"It's pretty easy. I have an '08 Nightster. I lifted my tank 3''. I'm pretty sure its the same concept. Get some black cloth-like automotive tape & black zip-ties (I think I got mine at auto zone). Disconnect the fuel line, Mine had a quick disconnect coupling at the tank. The fuel wont run out of the tank after being disconnected. Remove the bolts holding the tank (front and rear of tank). Set the tank aside. Remove all the zip-ties holding on the plastic crap. At this point I was also relocating my ignition and coil (which is the harder part). I cut the the plastic wrap off the wires all the way as far back as possible. I relocated the ignition and coil then re-taped the wiring with the cloth-like automotive tape. Run the wires on the top of the frame rail under the tank. Then replace the tank and connect the fuel line.

Please check out my youtube video to see the finished product. http://www.youtube.com/user/joelspencer666
Feel free to email me if you have questions."

Old 08-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Anogar
1st Gear

Nice man, looks really good.

Quick Reply: Tank Lift and Coil/ignition relocation on the 48