Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Busted hand, busted Iron.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 04:57 PM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GringoLoco
I think the part that stumped me the most is that you can't ride a motorcycle on the highway there. WTF is that all about???
+1...I'm wonderin' the same thing.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:51 PM
ItsTomFromNorthJersey
Tourer

Originally Posted by Topdogg
You just learned that? Its pretty common knowledge where I'm from.
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...ons/icon10.gif
the same where im from

Old 07-11-2010, 08:13 PM
3skulls
Tourer

I just had a cop turn left from the on coming lane and stop right in the middle of the street. He was trying to beat traffic to pull into a parking lot that had no where to go.
I never noticed how bad of a condition the roads are in and how bad other drivers really are, until I got a bike.

Glad to see you are ok and you will be back on your bike soon.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:49 AM
AnimalRides
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CapnAdventure
+1...I'm wonderin' the same thing.
I don't understand it, either. My wife told me that it's because of safety concerns, but as far back as I can remember I've always been told that stop and go traffic combined with intersections is much more dangerous than a continuous, uninterrupted flow of traffic. The only thing I like about riding here is that it's legal to split lanes or skip to the front at a stoplight. If I couldn't do that I would never get anywhere in this city.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:53 AM
AnimalRides
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lbfam730
Those damn Koreans... (I'm Korean). Sorry to hear about your crash man.

I was on the Interstate today going 90 and the jeep left of me decided to get in my lane while i was in his blind spot. he changed lane quickly into mine and his rear bumper was about a foot away from me. i couldn't swerve to the lane to my right since there was a car there so i swerved enough to get on the white lane dividing line, barely missing him. i caught up to him and gave flipped him the bird and he threw his hand up as if it was my fault. that made me lose it so i kicked the crap out of his car. he just sped up and took off.
sorry to thread jack with my rant.
Good looking out! Sounds like you were pretty lucky.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:32 AM
UH60Hwkdrvr
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts

You should do yourself a favor and stop riding your motorcycle in Korea. You will enjoy life more and probably live longer due to your lowered blood pressure. Traffic in Korea is what it is: Your rules don't apply here. You knew that if you put on your turn signal that someone would cut you off, yet you did it anyway. Shame on you! The key to survival and enjoying driving in Korea is to assimilate. I have been riding a motorcycle in Korea for about four years and don't have any problems on my daily commute. I drive approximately 20-30 miles a day in Seoul city traffic. I actually feel less likely to be involved in an accident on my bike than I do in my car. The bike is far more maneuverable and visibility much greater giving me an advantage over the car. Accept the driving culture for what it is and you will have no problem as well as enjoy motorcycling more. Continue to think you are the only one on the highway who knows how to drive and you will always have experiences like the one described here.

As for motorcycles not being allowed on limited access highways: Korea has thousands of motorcycle delivery vehicles. Allowing those bikes on the highway would pose a safety hazard as well as impede traffic. Ban them all and there aren't any problems.

Hope your hand heals quickly and your insurance treats you right!

m.a.c.

Last edited by UH60Hwkdrvr; 07-12-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Nightstalker88
Tourer

Koreans use there motorcycles (and scooters) like trucks. That's one reason they don't want them on the highways. Visualize two people and 6 six dog crates, with 12 dogs (going to market) on a 125cc machine going down the highway.

Your thinking American motorcycle riding for pleasure. They use it for transportation, of course I haven't lived there for 22 years.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Cpitch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd definately move out of Korea.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:15 PM
UH60Hwkdrvr
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightstalker88
Koreans use there motorcycles (and scooters) like trucks. That's one reason they don't want them on the highways. Visualize two people and 6 six dog crates, with 12 dogs (going to market) on a 125cc machine going down the highway.

Your thinking American motorcycle riding for pleasure. They use it for transportation, of course I haven't lived there for 22 years.

The Korea of today is nothing like the Korea of 22 years ago! Seoul is a thriving, modern city with many fantastic things to enjoy! Culture, food, shopping, etc...come on back for a visit and see for yourself.

m.a.c.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:31 PM
AnimalRides
Cruiser

Originally Posted by UH60Hwkdrvr
You should do yourself a favor and stop riding your motorcycle in Korea. You will enjoy life more and probably live longer due to your lowered blood pressure. Traffic in Korea is what it is: Your rules don't apply here. You knew that if you put on your turn signal that someone would cut you off, yet you did it anyway. Shame on you! The key to survival and enjoying driving in Korea is to assimilate. I have been riding a motorcycle in Korea for about four years and don't have any problems on my daily commute. I drive approximately 20-30 miles a day in Seoul city traffic. I actually feel less likely to be involved in an accident on my bike than I do in my car. The bike is far more maneuverable and visibility much greater giving me an advantage over the car. Accept the driving culture for what it is and you will have no problem as well as enjoy motorcycling more. Continue to think you are the only one on the highway who knows how to drive and you will always have experiences like the one described here.

As for motorcycles not being allowed on limited access highways: Korea has thousands of motorcycle delivery vehicles. Allowing those bikes on the highway would pose a safety hazard as well as impede traffic. Ban them all and there aren't any problems.

Hope your hand heals quickly and your insurance treats you right!

m.a.c.
I agree with everything you said, and I have also been riding here for a few years. I started with a 50cc scooter, then traded for a 125 enduro, and now the Iron. This was the first time I had an accident, and being forced into the back of a car tends to bring out the cynic in me.

Thanks for the advice, though. Sometimes it's hard to keep a clear head.

Quick Reply: Busted hand, busted Iron.