Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Question! Which is best?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:22 PM
moto monkee
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Question! Which is best?

I'm sure it's been asked before but I need some info. I'm thinking of going synthetic, blend, or stick to the regular stuff. I'm leaning towards synthetic due to the fact that my bike has 23K miles on it. What's a good brand to use? Why go synthetic? Any info would be appreciated.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:21 AM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moto monkee
I'm sure it's been asked before but I need some info. I'm thinking of going synthetic, blend, or stick to the regular stuff. I'm leaning towards synthetic due to the fact that my bike has 23K miles on it. What's a good brand to use? Why go synthetic? Any info would be appreciated.
Yes it has been asked and discussed many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many times.

With over 110 posts you should know that the search feature works wonderfully here. Just do the advanced search and select the sporty section and you will EASILY find all the info you need or want.

MH

Old 07-10-2010, 07:09 AM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use want you want or can afford, just keep it changed regularly. I use Mobil 1 15W50 from Walmart.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:52 AM
madmax442
Tourer

Amsoil. It's one of only 2 real synthetics out there!

Old 07-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Tryr
Intermediate

I use Syn3 from Harley. Also with those miles on it you will hear noises you never heard before in the engine. It is normal and the synthetic it lighter. at least that it was I have found out from discussion.. the noises are normal. I would look into it a little more and try to find someone that has switched over with those kind of miles and see what they say. I switched when my bike when it was new. but when I switched in my pick-up that had allot of miles....well I have a 08 Malibu now.. just for the winters

Last edited by Tryr; 07-10-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:40 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax442
Amsoil. It's one of only 2 real synthetics out there!
No idea what you are talking about.

Most consider 'man made' Group 4 (PAO Based) and Group 5 Ester Based) synthetic motor oils to be true synthetic fluids.

Amsoil is a good oil, but there is nothing magical about it. It is a Group 4 PAO Based synthetic, just the same as many other Group 4 synthetic fluids available on the market. Mobil 1 is another Group 4 PAO Based synthetic.

There are also a number of Group 5 Ester Based true synthetic oils that can be purchased, such as RedLine, Royal Purple, and Motul.

All PAO and Ester Based Group 4 and Group 5 synthetics are excellent choices, but to say that "Amsoil is one of only two real synthetics out there" is misleading at best.

That being said, I run Mobil 1 15W50 (Group 4 PAO Based) in my Harley's most of the time.

But if you are looking for the "best bragging rights true synthetic" you might want to skip over the Group 4 fluids and consider the Ester Based Group 5 synthetics such as RedLine. I do have a large stock of RedLine 20W60, and sometimes run it during the hot summer months when temperatures around here can easily reach 100+ degrees.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:23 PM
deepsea
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
No idea what you are talking about.

Most consider 'man made' Group 4 (PAO Based) and Group 5 Ester Based) synthetic motor oils to be true synthetic fluids.

Amsoil is a good oil, but there is nothing magical about it. It is a Group 4 PAO Based synthetic, just the same as many other Group 4 synthetic fluids available on the market. Mobil 1 is another Group 4 PAO Based synthetic.

There are also a number of Group 5 Ester Based true synthetic oils that can be purchased, such as RedLine, Royal Purple, and Motul.

All PAO and Ester Based Group 4 and Group 5 synthetics are excellent choices, but to say that "Amsoil is one of only two real synthetics out there" is misleading at best.

That being said, I run Mobil 1 15W50 (Group 4 PAO Based) in my Harley's most of the time.

But if you are looking for the "best bragging rights true synthetic" you might want to skip over the Group 4 fluids and consider the Ester Based Group 5 synthetics such as RedLine. I do have a large stock of RedLine 20W60, and sometimes run it during the hot summer months when temperatures around here can easily reach 100+ degrees.

Now you're making me wonder. I live in SC. We routinely have summers in the 100+ range. We had a string of about 4-5 days last week over 100 degrees. Bike seems to run fine, but the heat coming off the engine at stop lights feels like a blast furnace. I chose Mobile 1 15w50 oil and 75w90 primary fluid based on what I read here. Should I run heavier oil since it is so F'ing hot here?

Old 07-10-2010, 05:11 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by deepsea
Now you're making me wonder. I live in SC. We routinely have summers in the 100+ range. We had a string of about 4-5 days last week over 100 degrees. Bike seems to run fine, but the heat coming off the engine at stop lights feels like a blast furnace. I chose Mobile 1 15w50 oil and 75w90 primary fluid based on what I read here. Should I run heavier oil since it is so F'ing hot here?
To be honest I don't know if would spend the extra money for the RedLine 20W60, especially when you consider it's normal price. I was lucky and purchased a couple cases last year from a seller on Amazon that was clearing out his inventory. I was able to purchase it for $96 a case shipped, which is MUCH LESS than it's normal cost of around $14.00 a quart.

Most people I ride with here in the lower midwest (Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma area) run regular Mobil 1 15W50 synthetic during the summer, and nobody ever has a problem. I also have used Mobil 1 15W50 for a long time, and I've never had a problem either, even during 100+ degree weather.

It is interesting though that even Harley themselves recommends running a SAE 60 weight oil if the outside temperature is 80 degrees or higher.

The main reason I'm running RedLine 20W60 in my bikes right now is because I got such a good deal on it, and I felt that the slightly higher top end viscosity would be beneficial.

But to be honest, I don't notice any difference between the RedLine and the $4.25 a quart Mobil 1 15W50 I normally run. And as mentioned previously, RedLine 20W60 usually costs 3 times as much as the Mobil 1....

Far as the heat coming off the engine, that is just something you have to get use to during these dog days of summer. Even if your A/F ratio is set correctly (and you aren't running too lean), the head temperature on a V-Twin engine can easily reach 285 degrees, while your tank/sump oil temperature might only be in the 195 to 210 degree range. Running a slightly higher viscosity fluid isn't going to do much to help lower that head temperature.

Just make sure you aren't running lean, and try not to set at idle any longer than necessary, especially when it is very hot outside...

Old 07-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Brett001
Road Captain

The best bang for the buck has got to be the Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic car oil.
I hear you can get it for under $30.00 a gallon at wally mart.

If you go to the auto parts places it costs about $13.00 for an oil change (2.5 quarts).

And you don't have to worry about it breaking down from the heat between oil changes.

Brett

Old 07-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Dango
Road Captain

Velveeta.

Quick Reply: Oil Question! Which is best?