Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Sporty with Fat Bob tank (??), plastic gasket under console?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:04 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Sporty with Fat Bob tank (??), plastic gasket under console?

I don't know exactly what model tank and console is on my 99 Sporty, since my Dad changed it all and he has passed away. But I think something must go between the aluminum or potmetal console, and the tank. I am getting it painted now, and don't want to scratch up the new paintjob. I can post pics later (dark here now, midnight) but figure someone should know. The tank is at least 4 gallon, and the console fits it real well, contour matches it.

Thank you very much in advance, RD.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:04 AM
3rdgear
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could always go to your local sign/banner shop and ask if you could get some.. clear laminate.. its a film we put on printed vinyl for automotive wraps.. you could lay it on where its going to be and it should help you keep from scratching it.. but it may be a pain to get off if you ever try..

I have a question for you.. that tank.. does it have a fuel gauge?

Old 07-09-2010, 10:51 AM
BurpleHugger
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you talking about something that would cover the outer rim of your console where it meets the tank? Maybe go down to the hardware store and see what kind of rubber lines the have, small diameter tubing like they use to seal up screen doors to the frame. You can split it then fit it over the edges all the way around....you can also maybe use that automotive stuff they use to seal windows...you can run it over the outside edge of your console so that half of the seal is hanging (it's sticky on one side) then fold it over. Just a couple of lame ideas to get you through a pinch.

here is a link to the tank I bought....maybe call them up and see if they sell just the rubber piece. Lenght would be the only info they really need since thickness of the console are probably all the same from console to console.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/720-...bob%22&Ntk=All

Old 07-10-2010, 11:19 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found that the trim off of an old Chevy bucket seat, (NOS) will work OK. I just figured that something should have gone there originally. Thanx guyz.