Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First bike....tough to decide

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 12:45 PM
gcal
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First bike....tough to decide

Here it is...I'm in the final stages of getting my first bike ever. I have ridden crouch rockets in the past, but I know that I want to get an HD. Now I'm torn between Iron 883 and Nightster. Thoughts?

Also, I will be taking a rider safety course to get my license. Does this really help in lowering the insurance cost?

Thanks in advance!

-gcal

Old 07-08-2010, 01:04 PM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me? I'd go with the Nightster but that's pretty much due only to it being a 1200.

My MSF course earned me a 5% discount on my insurance. It's not much but every little bit helps.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:16 PM
catlkn
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the Nightster. But only because that's what I ride and I love it. I would say test drive both and see if you like / want the extra power of the 1200.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:33 PM
never say never
Tourer

you will be disapointed by choosing either one of those bikes get a big twin street bob or any member of the dyna family,you must rememeber that sporsters are for girls and riders that cant afford the big twin bikes.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:39 PM
never say never
Tourer

i would not be happy with either one, you must remember that the sportstes are pretty much girls bike these days or for entry level riders that cant come up with the cash to get a big twin would much prefer a dyna with pipes and stge1 strret bob before a sporster in my book

Old 07-08-2010, 01:42 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Course will help and the 883 will keep the cost down more than the 1200 and if you think you need more pep next year for 500 bux you can put the 1200 kit in it and still be paying insurance for the 883 ci.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:45 PM
catlkn
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by never say never
i would not be happy with either one, you must remember that the sportstes are pretty much girls bike these days or for entry level riders that cant come up with the cash to get a big twin would much prefer a dyna with pipes and stge1 strret bob before a sporster in my book
Wow! That was such helpful information! Funny though, I don't remember the poster asking your opinion on other bikes. Maybe gcal can't afford a big twin, or maybe gcal is a girl, or maybe gcal just wants a sportster because they are awesome bikes at a great price.

If you don't like sporties then what are you doing trolling in the sportster forum?

Old 07-08-2010, 02:08 PM
3rdgear
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 .. I will one day own a big twin.. but the day I stop riding my sporty is the day that they have to pry it from my corpse..

Old 07-08-2010, 02:22 PM
MechsHands
Road Captain

Originally Posted by gcal
Here it is...I'm in the final stages of getting my first bike ever. I have ridden crouch rockets in the past, but I know that I want to get an HD. Now I'm torn between Iron 883 and Nightster. Thoughts?

Also, I will be taking a rider safety course to get my license. Does this really help in lowering the insurance cost?

Thanks in advance!

-gcal
Gcal welcome to the forum.

First off yes many insurance companies will give you a discount, just shop around. More importantly the class will give you alot of very useful and potentially life saving skills. You didn't say how much you rode crotch rockets before, but unless its thousands and thousands of miles the course is a msut have IMO.

I have a 1200 that I have ridden for a year. My Mrs just got the 883. Personally I see a significant difference in power and I prefer the 1200 for sure. However the 1200 kit later is a decent idea. However the resale value of the 1200 is better, because more want them.

Either are good bikes and good luck in the choice.

MH

Old 07-08-2010, 02:36 PM
3rdgear
Road Captain

+1 to that too.. I've been riding for about 2 years.. and my sporty is the first bike i've ever had.. I love it.. and like stated before I would never get rid of her.. even if I did get a bigger bike..

as for the MSF Course if you haven't taken it .. do it .. if not for anything for the information.. I learned a lot and surprisingly it was fun.. I'm 27 and I've been around bikes most my life.. my brother has a Nighty and its a great bike.. and my dad has a 2000 Fatboy and its a great bike,, but with you having experience on crotch rockets.. I would say you would love a Nightster.. don't get me wrong.. I love the looks of the Iron.. but the performance side I would go with the N.. but that's just my 2 pennies.. you could always go do a test drive..

Quick Reply: First bike....tough to decide