Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First bike....tough to decide

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 02:59 PM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3rdgear
+1 to that too.. I've been riding for about 2 years.. and my sporty is the first bike i've ever had.. I love it.. and like stated before I would never get rid of her.. even if I did get a bigger bike..

as for the MSF Course if you haven't taken it .. do it .. if not for anything for the information.. I learned a lot and surprisingly it was fun.. I'm 27 and I've been around bikes most my life.. my brother has a Nighty and its a great bike.. and my dad has a 2000 Fatboy and its a great bike,, but with you having experience on crotch rockets.. I would say you would love a Nightster.. don't get me wrong.. I love the looks of the Iron.. but the performance side I would go with the N.. but that's just my 2 pennies.. you could always go do a test drive..
I love my sporty, how she handles and works through traffic. I like the nimbleness.

Sporties are only girls bikes when a lady gets on one or called that by ignorant fools.

MH

Old 07-08-2010, 03:26 PM
3rdgear
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny thing is not that long ago I was a ROT - (Republic of Texas Rally) and I saw more women on bigtwins by themselves then sportsters.. Humm.. food for thought..

Old 07-08-2010, 03:39 PM
pochunk69
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest the Nightster, seeing as you are coming from a crotch rocket. You'll enjoy the extra power. I'd put that bike against any other Harley as far as speed and handling goes except for the vrod. The power to weight of these is what makes them quick and fun, the other Harleys have bigger motors but adds alot more weight with that power.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:44 PM
WDHGS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by never say never
i would not be happy with either one, you must remember that the sportstes are pretty much girls bike these days or for entry level riders that cant come up with the cash to get a big twin would much prefer a dyna with pipes and stge1 strret bob before a sporster in my book
Really nice--seriously, you have the spelling and grammer skills of a third grader so I'll take your comment with a grain of salt...

I've owned a Ninja, 2 Sportsters, and a Dyna Fat Bob and much prefer the Sportster in almost every instance. I only ride solo, and a Sportster is a perfect, agile, and fast bike for solo riding. But, I know a lot of folks here are very comfortable riding 2-up on a 1200. I think the 1200 Nightster is the way to go if you can afford the payments and understand it's going to be way more powerful and heavier than anything you ride in the MSF (so will the Iron, BTW.) The question for me boiled down to color--do I want a black or silver denim paint job with a black motor, or do I want the upgraded motor with gloss black or silver/black denim and a silver motor? Everything can be changed and painted how you like it, and you can install a 1200 hit into an 883. So, for me the decision was just what color tins and motor I wanted to ride now, with the plan to upgrade to a 1200 down the road. Yep, I ride a Sportster and love it, and don't need to make up for any personal shortcomings by riding a larger bike-I can blow most of them away with my 883. Ride what you like, you're paying for it. Be safe.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 09WDHGS
Really nice--seriously, you have the spelling and grammer skills of a third grader so I'll take your comment with a grain of salt...

I've owned a Ninja, 2 Sportsters, and a Dyna Fat Bob and much prefer the Sportster in almost every instance. I only ride solo, and a Sportster is a perfect, agile, and fast bike for solo riding. But, I know a lot of folks here are very comfortable riding 2-up on a 1200. I think the 1200 Nightster is the way to go if you can afford the payments and understand it's going to be way more powerful and heavier than anything you ride in the MSF (so will the Iron, BTW.) The question for me boiled down to color--do I want a black or silver denim paint job with a black motor, or do I want the upgraded motor with gloss black or silver/black denim and a silver motor? Everything can be changed and painted how you like it, and you can install a 1200 hit into an 883. So, for me the decision was just what color tins and motor I wanted to ride now, with the plan to upgrade to a 1200 down the road. Yep, I ride a Sportster and love it, and don't need to make up for any personal shortcomings by riding a larger bike-I can blow most of them away with my 883. Ride what you like, you're paying for it. Be safe.
I think sportys are great bikes I have 4 of them in my garage with a Dyna and a bagger so I think I can say you must have some real work done to yours if your blowing away big twins with your 883.I dont see it,just sayin,cant bullsh#& a bullshi^&er.....

Old 07-08-2010, 06:09 PM
gcal
Stage II

Originally Posted by 09WDHGS

Very well said! This is exactly one of the dilemmas that I am facing. I do like the blacked out style of the 883 and its potential to be as powerful as the 1200 down the road. Being a beginner rider, power is not really my primary requirement. I'm more concerned about the weight and my ability to handle the bike itself.

Thank you for all of your comments!

Old 07-08-2010, 07:24 PM
WDHGS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mike07FLHTC
I think sportys are great bikes I have 4 of them in my garage with a Dyna and a bagger so I think I can say you must have some real work done to yours if your blowing away big twins with your 883.I dont see it,just sayin,cant bullsh#& a bullshi^&er.....
Yep, I was thinking someone might catch that.... I have indeed beaten some larger non-HD bikes, but not a HD Big Twin in the group that I remember. Part of it is the rider, and I have indeed toasted some sport bikes around town and light to light, which still amazes me. Just ridin' it like I stole it.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by never say never
i would not be happy with either one, you must remember that the sportstes are pretty much girls bike these days or for entry level riders that cant come up with the cash to get a big twin would much prefer a dyna with pipes and stge1 strret bob before a sporster in my book
LOL Girls bikes. I have to laugh when i hear people label it as such. The Sportster will blow the doors off the big Twins if that's your style of driving. They will out perform all of them when handling matters. And handling matters to a rider every time they get on a bike and ride. I Love my 883. I haven't seen a lack of power and i'm 6'0 and 230lbs and that's pure stock other then my Sundowner Deep Bucket seat. As for handling and learning its not as easy to handle as Jap/Metrics. On a side note alot of Sporty riders that trade up to Big Twins wish they kept there Sportster because it has the highest fun factor overall. Go for it!

Old 07-08-2010, 08:06 PM
WDHGS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by gcal
Very well said! This is exactly one of the dilemmas that I am facing. I do like the blacked out style of the 883 and its potential to be as powerful as the 1200 down the road. Being a beginner rider, power is not really my primary requirement. I'm more concerned about the weight and my ability to handle the bike itself.
Thank you for all of your comments!
I think any HD bike will feel big to you when you first start. I rode my first Sportster to the MSF class all 3 days and it felt huge compared to the little Honda 250's we were riding. As your confidence grows, so will your interest in getting a bigger bike. If you've ridden sport bikes, then you will likely be at home with an 883. The only difference with a 1200, basically speaking, is the size of the motor. The dimensions are the same, gearing is the same ratios, etc. As a new full-time rider you've got to sort of ease into riding a lot, big bikes+new riders+lack of experience=lots of trouble if you aren't careful.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Around here, it seems to me like about 90% of the Harleys I see are the big twins.
I see more women on them then on the girly Sportsters.

An 883 with some minor mods is not slow in my book.
I enjoy the zip and handling of the Sportsters much more then whatever benefit the big twins give you. More room and comfort no doubt, at the expense of massive weight and lack of ground clearance.
I have had big twins and Sportsters, and if I had to choose one or the other, it would be a Sportster.

Brett

Quick Reply: First bike....tough to decide