Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red "key" light on speedo

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 01:19 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MechsHands
The red key light is for many things depending on how its illuminated. In your case, staying on more than 8 seconds shows that a current trouble code is present. They is a sticky in here about how to obtain the trouble codes.

MH
This is your answer. Your bike has thrown a diagnostic code. Look in DIY section on how to get codes

Old 07-08-2010, 04:40 AM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
This is your answer. Your bike has thrown a diagnostic code. Look in DIY section on how to get codes
Thanks for the confirmation piston puller.

I got my answer directly from the OWNERS MANUAL. Before replying with a wrong answer, I decided to check that first. If you have an alarm and its flashing every 2 seconds then the alarm is armed.

Punkmxn, go do some reading before giving a stupid reply that is incorrect (unless your intention was to be a stupid smarta$$ then next time add some smileys) since he was looking for help.

Flat you are correct the check engine light is the yellow light. It comes on when you turn the key on until you start the engine. Also it will come on if there is a serious problem.

You never said what year or model bike that you have (unless I missed it when I reviewed the post) that would be helpful. I would also HIGHLY recommend getting an owners manual so you can get alot of helpful info there.

I've included a link that should help: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...odes-dtcs.html

MH

Old 07-08-2010, 01:57 PM
flat4fan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Mech, that's a great link. Next chance I get I will look into seeing if it has any codes stored. It's an '08 Nightster, under 2K miles. I did just recently change the oil to dino. Maybe I should look into using syn next time. If it makes it run 20 deg. cooler maybe that is all the margin I need.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:27 PM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flat4fan
Thanks Mech, that's a great link. Next chance I get I will look into seeing if it has any codes stored. It's an '08 Nightster, under 2K miles. I did just recently change the oil to dino. Maybe I should look into using syn next time. If it makes it run 20 deg. cooler maybe that is all the margin I need.
Not oil that but the synthetic is far superior. I have seen aircraft air cooled engines run by the same pilot, similair flights and the synthetic improved wear protection and reduced the amount of particulates. Most aiviation oils are going to syntehtic or a synthetic blend because of the superior characteristics.

If it doesnt have a code stored, then try keeping the instructions to check it with you, then if it comes on again check it. I personally have not had to check any codes yet (knock on asphault)

Glad it helped though.

MH

Old 07-08-2010, 03:37 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

If you do have an alarm and you had your fob in your pocket while wandering around looking for your bandana you may have taken the fob beyond range of the bike trigering the alarm light, the alarm is programed not to shut off the bike once running in case your fob falls off while riding the engine wont suddenly shut down on you.
According to my manual if there is a code stored it will be the engine light that lights up not the key (security) light, I don't think your problem has anything to do with the engine.

Last edited by HOTLAP; 07-08-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:30 AM
flat4fan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Except that I don't have the security system, so it's not that. I'm just going to pass it off as a fluke. My best guess is it's heat related, so I'm not gonna worry about it as long as it doesn't happen again.
Thanks guys.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:52 AM
mogley68
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen on mine. Like others said, check the signals, mine ended up being a shorted wire.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought all of the newer bikes came with a key FOB, and the siren and/or paging system was an option.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:05 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

nope. its a 150.00 dollar option.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:09 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
nope. its a 150.00 dollar option.
Wow. Thats more than half off. Today it would cost almost $400.

Quick Reply: Red "key" light on speedo