Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which shocks/seat combo for me/us?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 07:53 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spraynbuckshot
oldncrzy, which mustang seat did ya'll purchase?

I may be over analyzing things but the sundowner looks like it is a taller seat. So would I need shorter than original shocks to keep the factory height? And how would the shorter progressives effect ride quality?
http://www.mustangseats.com/Categori...ats&reset=true
http://www.mustangseats.com/Product.aspx?ID=1445
http://www.mustangseats.com/Product.aspx?ID=1397
I got the seat with back rest for me and passenger pillion model for her. I had to buy new sissy bar/backrest (attachment bracket and parcel carrier were ok) because the passenger seat was raised up and made wifey uncomfortable. Also, she is kinda short so had to get peg raisers. Now we are both extremely comfy. I also had to add another thing to screw into in the fender. The driver seat and passenger seat attach separately. I got it done at their booth at Americade. They did the whole thing and no charge for labor, only parts. Great bunch. Hope this helps.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:49 AM
spraynbuckshot
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think part of my mid back pain is that the stock seat allows me to slide back too far. I end up having poor posture because I am reaching so far. I have thought about changing the bars out to some 12 inch z bar, but I gotta go one step at a time.

It kinda sounds like a repeating trend here, sundowner and mustang wide/touring seats. Progressives have the popular vote too. I need to find some people that have these seats on sporties. I am still worried about adding slightly taller shocks and a slightly taller seat.

Are the front springs easy to change? What is the general consensus about aftermarket front springs? I have very little motorcycle mechanical knowledge, but I can read a set of good directions and follow them.

thanks for the replies thus far! very useful!!

Old 07-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might need a different bike.
With the sportster, you cant get a low seat and a great suspension.

For a really nice ride, you need wheel travel to soak up the bumps.
That increases the seat to ground distance a bit.
Add a thick padded seat and you are even higher.

As far as seats for shorter riders, the mustang vintage wide is good, its a bit lower and forward then other seats, but has good padding.
My wife loved it on back.

Bars are tough, I find I want to lean into the wind, not sit bolt upright.
Too low and forward and there is too much weight on the wrists, not enough and your back fights against the wind.

With a windshield, you dont have the wind problem, or a backrest will support you without a windshield.

For solo riding at speed, using the rear footpegs sometimes helps a lot, or hiway pegs.

Remember what standard motorcycles used to look like?
They mostly had a long, thick, narrow, flat seat, lower bars, low footpegs, and plenty of suspension travel. They were comfortable at allmost all speeds stock. That was why they all looked somewhat the same.

Fork springs are easy, you just need the right socket and a jack (I use a floor jack for cars).

Put towel over gas tank and front fender,
Remove handlebars,
Jack up the bike in front,
Loosen top clamp,
Remove fork cap, use care, its under tension,
Remove drain screw and allow the oil to drain into a measuring beaker,
Remove spring,
Put new spring in,
Put spacer in,
Replace drain screw,
Pour new fork oil in (same amount that came out),
Replace cap,
Do other side,
Make sure all fork clamps are tight,
Replace handlebars,
Enjoy.

If you don't have the bux for springs ($88.00) just changing the fork oil to 10 or 15 weight helps a lot.

Brett