Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choke won't stay open

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 12:27 PM
scubabike420
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Choke won't stay open

I checked the Mikuni install instructions and it uses the stock choke cable. Thought I had an excuse to buy a new carb.

Old 09-16-2006, 12:33 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had this same problem and everytime I adjusted the friction ****, a day or two later it would happen again. Finally took the bike to the dealer and they left the stock friction **** but put what looks like a lock washer behind it. It hasn't happend since and its been a few weeks now. The choke opens smoothly all the way now but for some reason, once the bike is warm, it slides in by itself. The cool thing is, it doesnt slide in before it's warm so I am fine with it. Not sure if thats the way its supposed to work, but my problem is solved.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:00 PM
stevegray
Road Captain

Yeah, that is what mine used to do, slide in on its own. Then after a few weeks, won't stay open at all. Although the lock washer idea sounds promising, I wonder if they have a part number for that?

Old 09-20-2006, 02:31 AM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: WarriorHD

I had this same problem and everytime I adjusted the friction ****, a day or two later it would happen again. Finally took the bike to the dealer and they left the stock friction **** but put what looks like a lock washer behind it. It hasn't happend since and its been a few weeks now. The choke opens smoothly all the way now but for some reason, once the bike is warm, it slides in by itself. The cool thing is, it doesnt slide in before it's warm so I am fine with it. Not sure if thats the way its supposed to work, but my problem is solved.
Mine does the same thing. I pull it all the way out, and let the engine warm up while I am in "pre-ride" mode. THen I run it down the street. When I am about ready to push it to 1/2 (about a minute later) it is already at half way! Then a couple miles later when I am ready to put it all the way in, it is already there! Weird.

I am sure it is just a lucky timing thing with the friction of the fastner and the vibration doing it. But for now, it seems to be working in synch with what I need.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:35 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No part number that I know of. It just looks like a regular ol' lock washer that the tech dug up in the shop and it doesn't look bad either......
ORIGINAL: stevegray

Yeah, that is what mine used to do, slide in on its own. Then after a few weeks, won't stay open at all. Although the lock washer idea sounds promising, I wonder if they have a part number for that?

Old 03-27-2008, 05:31 PM
HOG913
Intermediate

Fixed my problem! Thanks!

Old 03-27-2008, 07:53 PM
x2lee
Banned

They call it an enricher cable because thats what it is, a choke cuts off air (usually with a butterfly or a valve) to mix more fuel, an enricher introduces extra gas into the carb. So its not a choke or a choke cable, no matter what humanity calls it.
ORIGINAL: stevegray

Looks like I have it staying open now, will have to wait a day or two and see how it goes.
After going out and tinkering with it, I decided to actually check the service manual, and would you belive it, it does tell you how to do it. Clymer manual page 92. Had trouble finding it because they call it an "enricher" cable, instead of calling it a choke like the rest of humanity.

Thanks for all the tips.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:12 PM
BallisticBilly
Advanced

But...but...it says "CHOKE" right on the ****.[&:][8D]

Old 03-27-2008, 09:00 PM
x2lee
Banned