Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Sportster jerking and jolting in first gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012 | 12:40 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain

Originally Posted by gbaugh123
1st gear almost always jolts and jerks at low rpms.
Harleys have an engine with a very uneven firing pattern. They're going to be jerky and jumpy at low RPM, especially in 1st gear with its higher torque multiplication. As cHarley pointed out, a loose primary chain can exacerbate the inherent issue (a loose primary can go slightly slack in between the engine's power pulses and create even more of a "jerking" issue when the engine fires and the primary is pulled taut again), but you'll never get rid of all of it.

These big shared-crankpin V-Twins aren't turbines. You cannot expect smooth power delivery at low RPM with light throttle.

Old 11-08-2013 | 02:48 PM
racerx143
4th Gear

I hate it when somebody says they are trying out a fix and then never report back the outcome......

Originally Posted by Zenmervolt
Harleys have an engine with a very uneven firing pattern. They're going to be jerky and jumpy at low RPM, especially in 1st gear with its higher torque multiplication. As cHarley pointed out, a loose primary chain can exacerbate the inherent issue (a loose primary can go slightly slack in between the engine's power pulses and create even more of a "jerking" issue when the engine fires and the primary is pulled taut again), but you'll never get rid of all of it.

These big shared-crankpin V-Twins aren't turbines. You cannot expect smooth power delivery at low RPM with light throttle.

This isnt what they are talking about. Its more like you pull in the clutch and let it out really fast feeling but with an obvious clunk and the sensation of gears not engaging . My bike does it.

Last edited by racerx143; 11-08-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-09-2013 | 07:51 AM
Grantman
3rd Gear

Yep, happens a lot. And not just here. Seems like in a lot of forums people ask for help but as soon as the problem is solved they don't care to post again. So you end up with 30 threads "Has anyone ever had this happen? What can I do to fix it? I've tried blah blah blah" All it does is tell you what doesn't work. Be a lot more help tp know what does. Especially since this is the exact issue I'm having with a 2000 883C.

Old 11-09-2013 | 08:43 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by heybaylor
[?All of the Sportsters with 5 speeds prior to 04 do it.At some point that is.At 15 mph you could go into second but the engine would lug a little if

My 91 5 speed has never done this .....
where do you get that ??????
I have the same year, never happened to me, either. Also, according to a poll over on xlforum, the rigidmount bikes do not have a problem with the spring plate disintegrating either.

John

Old 11-09-2013 | 10:27 AM
GONUTZ2
5th Gear

My 2001 1200 lurches as you describe. Read this post if that is happening.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...ans-issue.html

Old 11-09-2013 | 10:48 AM
JaySwear
Road Captain

My 2002 does the same thing. Not always, but often enough to make me wonder. It'll lurch AND make the loud "clunk" sound that comes normally when I shift INTO first. But it'll be at about 15 mph and I won't even have my foot on the shift peg.

Old 12-13-2013 | 12:36 AM
thefarmerbrown
Stage I
Default Jerking and jolting in first gear.

Did anyone find a definitive solution to the 1st gear jerking issue. I just bought a 2002 sporty and it has the same random problem. The dealer said to bring it back when the problem gets worse.

Old 09-02-2016 | 08:39 PM
BlackBikeDave
Advanced

so let me add my experience with this. I have 29k on my 03 xl1200c. I've had this problem since about 15k miles. Just lived with it.
I lost 4th gear coming home one nite. The dogs had all been broken off of mainshaft 1st gear. They are used for 4th gear. So I pulled the tranny and while I was in there I replaced the 4th gear shifter fork and 1st and 2nd gear shifter fork. Also replaced 1st gear mainshaft. I even replaced the OEM clutch pack with an Alto Carbonite. Still bucks. I could never ride in a parade or do any slow speed manovering as it is sporadic and untrustworthy. Makes me nervous to have a chick on the back. So everything I did, did not help.
I read in another thread in another forum there is a mod you can do which uses small springs to put a tension to hold the shifter forks together. The springs go from the cotter pins on the shifter forks. The outers connecting to the inner. Personally I am afraid of the springs breaking and costing me money and time.
There has to be something to remedy this. It almost makes the bike not fun to ride sometimes.

Old 11-09-2022 | 02:07 PM
Black8120
Stage I

Originally Posted by scaldwellk
That is something. My 03 does this and also misses 4th sometimes. Just maybe a 1st/4th problem?
My 03 does too it's not the engine idle or how you dive it almost seems like the belt is skipping a tooth

Old 11-09-2022 | 06:25 PM
apache snow
Road Warrior

He posted that in 2012. You think he is still working on it?

Quick Reply: 2002 Sportster jerking and jolting in first gear