Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having stalling / Stuck in gear problems? Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 11:16 AM
kauffman_c
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE:

I'll definitely check the rear caliper and bearing if/when it happens again. That could very well be the reason for the squat. Now I just have to figure out why my motor lost power. I guess I should take it into the dealership, but I'm afraid that it won't do it for them, as most days it rides fine

CK

Old 06-25-2010, 11:19 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by kauffman_c
I'll definitely check the rear caliper and bearing if/when it happens again. That could very well be the reason for the squat. Now I just have to figure out why my motor lost power. I guess I should take it into the dealership, but I'm afraid that it won't do it for them, as most days it rides fine

CK
Unfortunately, that will likely be the case and is what makes these kind of problems hard to find sometimes.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,977 Likes on 4,169 Posts
Default squat

Originally Posted by cHarley
Good advise, but the fact that the OP describes the bike "squatting" as he released the clutch, is more indicative of a locked brake.

Put you bike in an upper gear, idle it up and let the clutch out slow -- bike will squat. I realize there can be many mechanical things wrong but with a new bike with enough miles that prove it was built correct usually there would be no brake issues for a long time. You cannot just read down a list but of course we must all realize we are just an opinion from a far distance.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:46 PM
kauffman_c
5th Gear
Default RE:

GRF000, thanks for the input as well. Maybe it WAS, actually, stuck in fourth gear, and this is a transmission issue. Wouldn't the bike roll when the clutch was pulled in though? It wouldn't budge at all. I am extremely confused, I just don't want this to happen at freeway speeds. Luckily, it has been on surface roads so far.

CK

Old 06-30-2010, 07:57 AM
seoris
Advanced

Have you ridden the bike much since this happened,any problems since? When you say the engine lost power-you mean it was sputtering and trying to cutout or you weren't getting any action at the rear wheel?

Old 06-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like the binding brake idea, that will feel like a power loss, and eventualy lock up, then will cool down fast and work normal.

It should cook up the disk though, with signs of overheating.

If the pedal or master cylinder does not return far enough, the vent back hole is blocked, and if the brake heats up, the pressure forces the pads against the disk, which makes things even hotter, to the point moisture in the brake fluid can boil, etc.

With a bike that gets low miles, things can stick, bind up, build up moisture and not cook it out.

A 10 year old car with 20,000 miles on it is usualy a worse buy than one with 100,000 miles on it.

Sitting is not good...low use is not good, short trips are not good.

I did a 9000 mile trip on a Triumph which ran flawlessly the entire time.
I got home and parked the bike for a few weeks, and when I went to use it, the speedo drive crapped out, I had key switch problems, and the rear master cylinder froze up (rust).

The back brakes started binding when they got warm...

Brett

Old 07-19-2010, 02:51 PM
kauffman_c
5th Gear
Default Fixed! I think....

Thanks all for the great ideas and advice. I think I finally figured things out. My right footpeg was loose, and rotating, and I DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE!!!! When it rotated, it would press lightly on my rear break pedal, causing the "loss of power". Obviously not really a loss of power as much as a locked up brake! Just to be safe, I changed out all fluids, including brake, and everything seems to be running smoothly. It's always something stupid isn't it!?!?!

Thanks,

CK

Old 07-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for letting us know what it was.

Brett