Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pros and cons of 1200 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 12:10 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default pros and cons of 1200 upgrade

I am considering having the 1200 upgrade done to my bike. I'd have it done at a local shop that specializes in Harleys. They did my stage 1 and are also doing my 1000 mile service. It's a great shop called Twisted Cycles located in Manchester, NH. My bike has nice pick up as it as since the stage 1 was done. I have had good luck mechanically and was wondering what are the drawbacks having the upgrade done. I'd hate to have problems surface that were not there before. I'm also concerned about warranty issues as well. On top of that, I've read that the ride will be less smooth after the upgrade is done. Please let me know what I should expect if I have this done. They said i'd be looking at $800-$900 for the full job. They charged me $450 for the stage 1 which included a k&n high flow air filter, vance and hines straight shot hs slipons and rejet the carb. Bike hasn't farted since and I got a lot more performance and sound.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 08-24-2006, 12:25 PM
dert
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: pros and cons of 1200 upgrade

unless you are keeping the scoot,I mean keeping it for a long time,I wouldnt do the 1200 conv.All the mods you do will be a loss when trade in time comes. Warranty will be voided if you have the 1200 conv. done.Better off leaving it alone.If an indy did the stage 1 done at a shop other than a HD dealer,your warranty is already voided if you need it for anything related to what the indy did.If anything comes up wrong with the bike,the dealer who issued the warranty can void it and say it was modified beyond warranty coverage.Ive seen it and they will do it.Not much you can do."Indy" =independent repair shop not HD certified.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:37 PM
fkstk181
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dert is right as far as resale, warranty, an trade in are concerned. If you plan on keeping it for a while and are going to spend 800-900 you may as well go up to a 1250. You can get the kit through NHRS for as little as $750.00 for their cast iron. The aluminum kit's are more expensive. Check them out at www.nrhsperformance.com, to my knowledge you won't need to bore anything out, it's all bolt on, so if you are mechanically inclined you may be able to do it yourself. Good luck...

Old 08-24-2006, 12:51 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I've talked with the guys at NHRS and they have some great packages....

In fact they now have a 90 CI package available for the 2004+ Sportsters that looks like it uses quality components and would have a lot of potential.

I'm considering having them do a 'turn key' 90 CI upgrade on my 2005 1200C, where I just drop the bike off, have them do all the modifications, dial it in, tune it up, and all I have to do is pick it up when completed and ride.

I wouldn't mind having the bike where it is putting 110+ HP to the rear wheels.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:07 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the info guys. I would like to add that the guys that own the shop that I am speaking of both worked at Manchester Harley for many years, and then, r&r. I know they both left manchester harley on very good terms. They assured me that my stage 1 would not affect my warranty and that it is more than ok that they do the 1000 mile service. I've also heard that some of the sales guys at Manchester Harley recommend this shop. I can't imagine that these guys would purposely steer me wrong. I do know that if I have pipe issues, or carb issues, I would take it to them, not to manchester as they did the work. I wouldn't assume that Manchester Harley would be liable for any shoddy work done at an indie. I don't think that if I have a warranty issue that has nothing to do with the stage one would be denied at the local dealership. correct me if I'm wrong here. They also said that the 1200 upgrade would not affect my warranty either. I figure that they would have first hand experience as they both worked at the selling dealership.

Rob

Old 08-24-2006, 02:03 PM
dert
Road Master

They dont work there now.The HD dealer didnt do the work.They do their kind of work to make a living.For example if you have a transmission problem after you have the 1200 conv.The dealer could come up with all kinds of reasons why the conv. caused the transmission,clutch etc...problem .As I said before it happens.I would not take a chance unless you dont care about warranty work.Transmissions,gears,pulleys clutches aint cheap ...cant say much more on the subject.You will soon learn about Harley Stealers and Dealers if you are a new HD owner.Good luck.

I dont think anyone was trying to steer you in the wrong direction,but the sales guys do just that,they sell.My point is that anything done to modify the engine may affect other "parts" that may be covered under warranty that ,if they fail,the warranty is void for that part.I also understand that the MFG.issues the warranty but if the Dealer does not get reimbursed for their end ,they wont fix it.They make money and lots of it and arent going to give it away.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:25 PM
LOTHAR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rob i

thanks for the info guys. I would like to add that the guys that own the shop that I am speaking of both worked at Manchester Harley for many years, and then, r&r. I know they both left manchester harley on very good terms. They assured me that my stage 1 would not affect my warranty and that it is more than ok that they do the 1000 mile service. I've also heard that some of the sales guys at Manchester Harley recommend this shop. I can't imagine that these guys would purposely steer me wrong. I do know that if I have pipe issues, or carb issues, I would take it to them, not to manchester as they did the work. I wouldn't assume that Manchester Harley would be liable for any shoddy work done at an indie. I don't think that if I have a warranty issue that has nothing to do with the stage one would be denied at the local dealership. correct me if I'm wrong here. They also said that the 1200 upgrade would not affect my warranty either. I figure that they would have first hand experience as they both worked at the selling dealership.

Rob
Any idea what the 90 ci turnkey upgrade costs? I am too lazy to go to their website.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:27 PM
dert
Road Master

Were too lazy to tell you .Im sure prices vary among shops.