Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OHH BOY, here we go AGAIN!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:21 AM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1HD1C
if they are the same part number cant i just swap them and see what the resoults are?
i mean if the starter starts acting up then i know i have a bad relay if not then there is something
else going on in the charging system.

i know some of you guys have mentioned possible stater but wouldnt this do it all the time????
this acts like something is getting hot then causing a problem as it doesnt do it when the bike is cold.

Also someone asked about the battery connections, i checked all plugs and connections before it
went to the shop last week and they were all tight.
I supposed you could. Pull them out one at a time and see if they have any corrosion on them.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

its under warranty and the dealer has basicly signed-off on any future repairs as a result of you riding.

so go ride he hell out of it.

i rode 550 miles on a bad stator and regulator. it really isn't that big of a deal.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:11 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Certainteed

i rode 550 miles on a bad stator and regulator. it really isn't that big of a deal.
I rode 125 miles on a bad stator, that caused the voltage regulator to blow and left me stranded 200 miles from home on the side of the interstate.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:40 PM
WVleo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changing out the Voltage Regulator is easy as I did it in 5 minutes and I'm no wrench believe Me. I am keeping the stock as a spare as I already needed to replace the stator on a 06 Sportster. Look for bargins on EBAY, I got My chrome on from a canadian H-D dealer on EBAY for about $40 shipped if I recall . I'm sure it would cost about a Hundred Dollars ( H-D ) at the dealership......WVleo

Old 06-24-2010, 07:35 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

i found the part number for the regulator, from what i have been able to ascertain the only interchange is 08/09. it did not mention the 07 or 10 as being the same regulator

last night i went out and swapped the relay's around for wishful thinking purposes.
when the problem first started nearly 2 weeks ago and before i took it in the first time i had pulled the side cover and found that the fuses already had dielectric grease.
when i pulled the relays out last night the starter relay looked nice and clean but one of the pins on the main system relay had some green on it and looked like it had been cleaned greased and reinstalled.

i switched them just to see what will happen but I'm still feeling the effects from the
3 shots in my neck 2 days ago and had to use my truck for work today. hopefully tomorrow i can ride it and see what happens.

from seeing some corrosion on the pin i suppose it could be the problem and that even though they had cleaned it before i bought it may have become internally damaged.

thoughts?????

Old 06-24-2010, 02:11 PM
wilburz
Road Warrior

had my bike at the shop 10 times. new batteries, etc. they cleaned the relays , fuses . it kept dying. finally they switched out the relay. wala! no more problem. I beleive once they get corrosion on them they break.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:12 PM
wilburz
Road Warrior

if you switch one for the other and one is bad then you are still going to have issues. you need one new one and one good one for the bike to act correctly.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:25 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by wilburz
if you switch one for the other and one is bad then you are still going to have issues. you need one new one and one good one for the bike to act correctly.
this is why i did it, i figured if it is the relay the system should be good to go and now the starter will show some issues.

well today my neck felt good enough to ride it to work and wonder of wonders when i hit the starter button to leave my garage it cranked really weird, i don't want to jump the gun here but was that just a coincidence or is it because the system relay is now the starter relay
and vice versa.
no check engine battery light yet either but i need to run it more.

i also figured out a way to carry my ohmeter just in case then i can at least test whether the battery is getting anything from the charging system if it does come on again.

we are going on a run tomorrow in PA and then stopping at Bryans Harley
in Langhorne for their 25th anniversary, figure if it runs good with no problems i will buy 2 relay's and replace both in the fuse box.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:45 PM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member

UPDATE-----relay was wishful thinking, seems to only do it when it is good and hot.

rode it home and the light came on as i parked behind my garage, grabbed my ohmeter real quick and connected it to the tender connection had 11.5 at idle
and would only go to 12 when i throttled the engine.

i set the friction screw to where i thought 2500 should be and tested, it
was at 12.6-7 and then bang it went up to 13.8-9 and the battery light went out

seriously leaning towards voltage regulator.

opinions? and any suggestions how i should get them to replace it or should i just
chance it and buy one on my own and if it does it then write to MA HARLEY to try
and get my money back?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:15 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

If you buy one (regulator), you'll never get your money back for it.
Bet.

Quick Reply: OHH BOY, here we go AGAIN!!!!!