Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OHH BOY, here we go AGAIN!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:22 AM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1HD1C
the bike is a 2009 nightster that i bought exactly 2 months ago.

i dont have a service manual yet but in my owners manual it shows
a system relay in the fuse box, is this the relay you are talking about?
if so any idea how much they cost. if its cheap enough i will just go
buy one and pop it in to see what happens.

thanks
you are correct. there are 2 of them. a system and starter relay. both are the same part number. I paid 8 bucks apeice for mine. I would replace both. I don't know how to test them.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:24 AM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you cant' miss them. about 1/2 inch by 3/4 inch black rectangluar plastic things. the back of your cover should have a scamatic diagram telling you what is what too. if you pull them out and they are corroded you need to clean that crap out of the fuse blockand pak it full, really full, with dialetic grease then install the newones.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:12 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by wilburz
you are correct. there are 2 of them. a system and starter relay. both are the same part number. I paid 8 bucks apeice for mine. I would replace both. I don't know how to test them.
if they are the same part number cant i just swap them and see what the resoults are?
i mean if the starter starts acting up then i know i have a bad relay if not then there is something
else going on in the charging system.

i know some of you guys have mentioned possible stater but wouldnt this do it all the time????
this acts like something is getting hot then causing a problem as it doesnt do it when the bike is cold.

Also someone asked about the battery connections, i checked all plugs and connections before it
went to the shop last week and they were all tight.

Last edited by 1HD1C; 06-23-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Cpitch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude its your regulator.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:09 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cpitch
dude its your regulator.
I'm sure it is too but trying to get this ****ing Harley dealer to do anything without it being completely gone is like beating my head against a brick wall.
they say if they replace it and it tests good back at Harley then they don't get reimbursed and I'm at the point to where i will buy one and throw it on myself as i cant afford to get stuck and then have to wait for a tow truck especially if I'm on the road to VA and it happens it will completely ruin my trip and may cause a brick to get tossed through someones front window

if anyone can tell me what year range fits/part numbers or if someone has an original one reasonable that they swapped out for a chrome please PM me.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Cpitch
Road Master

id take it up with the service manager...if he's not available then i would take it up with the owner of the damn stealership...or take it to an indy shop and have them find the problem and then take your bike back to the dealer and show them that there is something wrong with it and they are being lazy *** holes.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:27 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member

id take it up with the service manager...if he's not available then i would take it up with the owner of the damn stealership...or take it to an indy shop and have them find the problem and then take your bike back to the dealer and show them that there is something wrong with it and they are being lazy *** holes.
service manager is who i have been talking to on the phone.
with the way i feel right now i probably wont be able to ride for another day or so or i would take a chance and ride it down there and make a commotion on the sales floor about it.

if i take it to the only indy shop thats in my area i will have to pay out of pocket for the diagnostic work which could take a few hours and a few hundred dollars and then end up eating that even if they find a problem,
im sure Harley wont reimburse me for that since the bike is supposedly under a warranty.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Cpitch
Road Master

of course they wont. it should only cost about $50 bucks to do a diagnostic check. and the regulator is not a huge fix. if it was the stator then yea thats a problem. but the regulator from what i understand is not a hard thing to fix so even if you pay outta pocked it shouldnt be too outrageous.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:30 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The regulator is very easy to replace, but they aren't cheap. I believe the last one I bought was $106 plus tax.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:30 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member

of course they wont. it should only cost about $50 bucks to do a diagnostic check. and the regulator is not a huge fix. if it was the stator then yea thats a problem. but the regulator from what i understand is not a hard thing to fix so even if you pay outta pocked it shouldnt be too outrageous.
unfortunately since it is intermittent it may take quite a while for them to find the problem this is why i am willing to just buy a voltage regulator if it is reasonable enough and install it myself, its probably only a 10 minute job.

again if anyone has the proper part numbers for this part i would appreciate it as I'm getting no where on the web
also if you have swapped out your original for a chrome one let me know what you want for the original.

thanks

Quick Reply: OHH BOY, here we go AGAIN!!!!!