Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rode a Fatboy...uh-oh.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 08:11 PM
tandt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rode a Fatboy...uh-oh.....

My brother in law has a 2005 Fatboy. I rode up to see them on my Nightster and got to take the Fatboy for a ride. Very cool bike. I hadn't realized how much I miss a bike with suspension (lol). It had a very classic, capital C-Cruiser feel to it, like riding an EZ Boy chair (at least in comparo to the Nighster). The weight and solid feel were really apparent. The motor was strong down low, but didn't really have much top end. My Nighster had way more zip all the way through the rev range. But the counterbalanced Fatboy engine was really really nice. Super smooth but still had lots of character. I'd like to own a Fatboy - but I can't afford two bikes and I'm not dumping my Nightster. A really great bike that has huge personality.

As an aside, brother in law also has a 2010 Star Raider. WOW. 1900cc with V&H and a Fuelpak. That bike hauled ***. It would stretch my arms out in any gear, any time. Heavy throttle in first or second and it would light up the tire no problem. Yet it didn't feel like a tractor. Very smooth, tight feeling bike, with great brakes and suspension, like a sportbike pretending to be a cruiser.

I loved the Fatboy as another classic - it has it's own thing going and apologizes for nothing. The Star is a great piece of engineering but just doesn't have the soul of a Harley. I stopped for gas several times and at every gas station I got compliments on the Nightster, which is pretty cool. It's a great weekend when you get to ride three great bikes, and take one of them home to the garage.

Shiny side up, friends.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:14 PM
pochunk69
Cruiser

I also got to ride an awesome bike today. A guy I referee with let me take out his custom Titan chopper. Words can't describe how awesome that bike was to ride. I felt like I was riding a little kids tri-cycle when I got back on my nightster. It did feel like I was trying to turn a tank though coming out of parking lots but on the open road it was a blast. I could buy four of my nightsters for what he paid for that thing though. One of those "someday" bikes when I find my lucky pot of gold and can afford it.

I also am suprised at the number of people that stop to check out my nightster when I stop for gas. For a smaller bike I get alot of people that stop me in parking lots to check it out.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:10 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Last year I rode a brand new 09 Fat Boy and I have to say I ws not impressed at all. It's a great looking bike and was smooth, but I was very happy to get home and get on my Sporty that night-just more fun to ride and feels more raw for sure-I like the raw feel on a bike. If I want plush I will drive my car LOL!

Old 06-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Cpitch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive ridden almost all of the bikes harley has made in the past 5 years. from a sporty to an ultra classic. the bigger bikes are fun to ride on a long trek but for cruising around town nothing beats the agility of a sporty. i'd like to have another bike someday. probably a bagger...but i'm sure to keep the sporty.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:02 PM
WDHGS
Road Captain

I had the chance a year ago to ride a Fat Boy and just felt like the bike was "super-sized" compared to the Sportster. I just prefer a leaner, more agile ride, and just didn't care for the dimensions of the bike. It's a great look, but seems like it's a lot more labor intensive to maintain and costly to mod--just my initial impressions. The Softail Deluxe is a great look, too, just don't want to spend that much time shining chrome when I can only ride for 6 months here. I liked the Cross Bones a lot, and prefer than kind of stripped down, raw look and feel, but didn't care for the ride quality--not yet, anyways...but certainly don't have that kind of money right now.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:07 PM
lilbruce
Road Master

I have a fatboy in my arsenal and it is a great bike!

Old 06-22-2010, 12:09 AM
tandt
Cruiser

I can't help it. "Terminator 2" is probably my favorite movie of all time and I really dig the Fatboy in that flick. Probably what made me want to get into Harleys.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:07 AM
falsealarm
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default superglide for a 48

I sold my 09 superglide custom last yr. and bought a 2010 48 this yr. I have to say I wish I had the 09 back. A lot smoother and softer ride. But I love the looks of the 48 and the handleing. At 5'4" 128 lbs. it is a lot easier for me to handle

Old 06-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Doctrey
Tourer

My stepson's 2 uncles and grandfather all ride bigger Harleys, and we all ride together when the opportunity arises. Every once in a while, his uncle will ask if I want to swap rides for the trip so he can ride my Iron and I can ride his Fatboy. He has actually said he wants to buy a Sporty to ride around town and only ride his biggin' on longer trips. I enjoy riding his Fatboy ever so often because I haven't gotten a new seat for my Iron, but I love my bike and get compliments on it everywhere I go. Plus, I put RK shocks on it, and the bumps aren't much different than what I felt on his.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Warpfield
Cruiser

I did a test ride of a Fatboy Lo on Saturday. It had a lot of power, (compared to my stock 1200), and I have to agree that the suspension made it a really smooth ride. I would love to have one in my garage. Alas, I don't have the cash right now to lay down on something like that.

Quick Reply: Rode a Fatboy...uh-oh.....