Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets see you 48's..

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:11 AM
jzombie
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got my thunderheader!!!! sounds amazing!

Old 08-31-2010, 12:24 PM
.357 Magnum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jzombie, glad to see I'm not the only one who prefers the mirrors right-side-up on mini apes. Though, the upside-down "Objects in mirror blah blah" text might be enough to drive me to get some accessory buckshot mirrors or something... depends on how much it triggers my OCD.

It looks like you've given up some ground clearance on the right side with those pipes. Have you noticed it at all? Other than that, they look good. Are they much louder, or just deeper in pitch or what?

Old 08-31-2010, 12:39 PM
jzombie
6th Gear
Smile

Originally Posted by .357 Magnum
jzombie, glad to see I'm not the only one who prefers the mirrors right-side-up on mini apes. Though, the upside-down "Objects in mirror blah blah" text might be enough to drive me to get some accessory buckshot mirrors or something... depends on how much it triggers my OCD.

It looks like you've given up some ground clearance on the right side with those pipes. Have you noticed it at all? Other than that, they look good. Are they much louder, or just deeper in pitch or what?
Yeah the mirrors upside down are TEMPORARY! i want black powder-coated round ones to go with the old school vibe! now i just need to find the right ones! i tried the mirrors flipped down before admitting defeat- but even raised up on the mini apes, i still felt uncomfortable with the fact that they were still really far out of my line of sight.

I did give up a bit with the pipes, but no scrapes yet (knock on wood- but it's inevitable)
as for the sound- omg it's amazing! i finally can hear myself with my buddies (they used to make fun of me for riding my "sewing machine") very throaty and loud, but not obnoxious.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:07 AM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jzombie

Finally got my thunderheader!!!! sounds amazing!
thunderheader kicks **** mang
more i look at these 48's the more i want to trade my dyna in

Old 09-01-2010, 07:35 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 48 is bad ***, but to me the best looking new stock sporty is the 2011 Super Low.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:26 PM
jzombie
6th Gear

here's my problem and it is one that i totally knew about going into this whole 48 thing- i have had this guy fora little more than a week and have already filled up twice and today on my way to work my gas light came on- AGAIN!
gas mileage= awesome- even with the thunderheader, but that doesn't mean the frequency with which i need to get gas isn't annoying....

Old 09-01-2010, 02:30 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

here's my problem and it is one that i totally knew about going into this whole 48 thing- i have had this guy fora little more than a week and have already filled up twice and today on my way to work my gas light came on- AGAIN!
gas mileage= awesome- even with the thunderheader, but that doesn't mean the frequency with which i need to get gas isn't annoying....
Exact reason I think I am gonna go with the Nightster, slightly larger tank, only extra thing I will need to do is install forward controls, all other mods (ape hangers, new seat, exhaust, etc), I would have to do anyway..

*plus, in Jan, the Nightster will be out in a limited Apple Green..

Since I already have a "blacked out" bike, I may "Green Out" that one!!!

Hope my guy has alot of green powder coat ready for me. :-)

Old 09-01-2010, 02:35 PM
4Nines
6th Gear

I've been keeping track of my milage through the trip meter and I can usually go about 60 miles before the fuel light comes on. It kicks on kind of early IMO, but I figure I can safely do about 100 miles on a tank. I hoping with a few mods I can get up into the 60+ mpg range.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:42 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

Originally Posted by 4Nines
I hoping with a few mods I can get up into the 60+ mpg range.
That would be impressive. I think I get only high 40s on my Dyna, but with the bigger tang, I can get over 180 miles out of a tank without worries..

Old 09-01-2010, 02:49 PM
4Nines
6th Gear

Originally Posted by DeathProof72
That would be impressive. I think I get only high 40s on my Dyna, but with the bigger tang, I can get over 180 miles out of a tank without worries..
I want to say that I've been getting a little over 50 mpg. I only have about 500 miles on the bike, so it should get a bit better as it breaks in shouldn't it?

Does anyone know if pipes and a tune are better for fuel milage? In my experience if you have more power then you get better mpg's. That's if you can keep from twisting the throttle to feel the newfound power that is

Quick Reply: Lets see you 48's..