Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Traffic Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new style is optical, maybe infrared off engine heat, or radar or something, looks like a camera, and they work well.The old style ones with the buried wires works like a metal detector, a coil with a signal on it, put a mass of metal inside the coil and it triggers the lights.It was designed for LOTS of metal though.I never heard of any system using weight, how would that work?They are not going to put a scale at every light, dig a big hole, put in a plate to park on, springs, sensors, that is just silly....One time in Palm Beach Florida, a cop told me to treat the lights like stop signs since they would NEVER change for a motorcycle....Brett

Old 06-17-2010, 02:20 PM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Certainteed
brother, no offense to you... i can't believe the laws ya'll have to endure in VA. i wonder if the populace even cares what politicians do?
It's not all bad. We have pretty good gun laws! Hopefully, with the new Governor, attorney general, and some turn over in the General Assembly, things will get even better.

Shelbyville, huh? I've spent quite a bit of time there for work. Kind of getting a craving for some Claudia Sanders now.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:27 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
In WA you can "run it" if you wait through two cycles of the light. Also, not all are by iron, some are by weight. I always put myself in either tire rut made by cars and trucks. That usually helps.
I thought the problem is that the light isn't cycling... How do you know when a cycle is if the light isn't changing?

Old 06-17-2010, 02:30 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Try flashing your brights at the light. That usually works here.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:36 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What I know around here is if I find a light that I do not trigger I call the highway road dept. They are actually quite accomadating. Got a call back one time, they were at my last reported light and couldn't get a bike to come through. Asked me if I could make a run for them and I did.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:04 PM
jbyun
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider1200
Where would you buy a big enough magnet for this? I have sat at a light near the Com college for what seems like forever until a car pulled up behind me. The magnet idea seems like a good idea.

FYI Tickets here stay on your license for 5 yrs unlike many other states.
Google "traffic light changer" and there's an overpriced kit that you strap on to the bottom of your bike. However, you can probably make something a lot cheaper since neodymium magnets aren't that expensive and you don't need anything huge.

I think I'm just going to go with the run the red light when my patience runs out method for the time being.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing that has worked for me is switching the bike off and on again. The starter draws enough amps and creates enough EMI that it will trigger the sensors for the light. Revving the engine sometimes helps as well because it spins the alternator on the bike faster which increase EMI, but that doesn't always work.

I agree with the others that the newer optical sensors seem to work the best.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:22 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool My sportster changes the lights,,

with no magnets,,
The sensor IF you can see the box lines,,
It is most sensitive in the corners.
I put my engine right over one of the front corners
of the rectangle,,
always changes for me.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:55 PM
pochunk69
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to wait 3 mins? Dang, good old WI is 45 secs after you can confirm its a sensor light.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:05 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm amazed over how many problems people are having. My bike changes every light I have ever come up on???

Quick Reply: Stupid Traffic Lights