Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

black solo spring seat

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Paulflhx
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fox4
That seat has a super steep angle on your bike. I think you would benefit from longer springs to raise the back up a bit. They are cheap on eBay. It would get rid of your sliding off the back problem.
Yes, I agree. The way Plasteredcat's seat is set up is very different from my Iron. I don't have any trouble staying on the seat. It curves up nicely at the rear. I put 100 miles on her today, max speed 73mph(still breaking her in). I don't really care how it handles at a sportbike pace, as I have a sportbike for that. It works just fine at 10+ posted speeds. It is definitely a seat that will break in a little every ride. It got better as the day wore on.(no pun intended). My assessment remains the same. It is as comfortable as the stock seat, which I liked. The seat springs are stiffer than the shock springs, so I am not compressing the seat springs at all. Yes, you can get launched if you hit a big bump!Streetglide shocks are on their way from another lister. I weigh 175, 5'8", 30 inch inseam and have forward controls. Mini apes are next on the list. I will give another update when I return from Nova Scotia in mid July. I should have about 1500 miles on the seat by then.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:27 PM
jakeg823
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great! i'm wanting one for my 1200C but havent have much luck finding a picture of it on one.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Paulflhx
Tourer

Originally Posted by Paulflhx
Yes, I agree. The way Plasteredcat's seat is set up is very different from my Iron. I don't have any trouble staying on the seat. It curves up nicely at the rear. I put 100 miles on her today, max speed 73mph(still breaking her in). I don't really care how it handles at a sportbike pace, as I have a sportbike for that. It works just fine at 10+ posted speeds. It is definitely a seat that will break in a little every ride. It got better as the day wore on.(no pun intended). My assessment remains the same. It is as comfortable as the stock seat, which I liked. The seat springs are stiffer than the shock springs, so I am not compressing the seat springs at all. Yes, you can get launched if you hit a big bump!Streetglide shocks are on their way from another lister. I weigh 175, 5'8", 30 inch inseam and have forward controls. Mini apes are next on the list. I will give another update when I return from Nova Scotia in mid July. I should have about 1500 miles on the seat by then.
Latest update. I may no longer be a valid control for the solo spring seat evaluation! My Streeglide shocks arrived this morning, and after I refilled them with oil (which was a huge PITA. Never take the oil out if you don't have to) I took it for a ride. Wow! What a difference. I am not even sure I got enough oil in them, but the bike rides so much better. I don't have to cringe anymore when I see a bump coming. Very smooth. It should make the seat that much more comfortable. Plus the bike looks better as no more springs in the rear to clash with the seat springs and the rubber boots match those on the front forks.

Last edited by Paulflhx; 06-19-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:42 AM
rickthewelder
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi PC,
On a Sportster the seat will be at a totally different angle.
Your Fatboy is one of the sickest looking I've ever seen, nice job !!!
RTW

Old 08-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Paulflhx
Tourer

Got back from Nova Scotia Mid July, and just now had time to post regarding the solo spring saddle. The saddle was great, the bike was great, and the trip was gr, no, wait, damp and cold. Oh well, two out of three,... The seat was incredibly comfortable. We usually rode two hundred miles every day for 5 days. Nice easy days.

Attached Thumbnails black solo spring seat-img_1616.jpg  
Old 08-26-2010, 07:07 PM
simmy711
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the same seat on my Iron a few weeks ago and I love it. I tend to slide down to the bottom of the tank when stopped, but I can sit back in the seat once I'm riding. I love the look of it too.

Attached Thumbnails black solo spring seat-img_20100821_173230.jpg   black solo spring seat-img_20100821_173106.jpg  
Old 08-26-2010, 10:41 PM
rickthewelder
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the seat last week, I love it, and def recommend it.

Attached Thumbnails black solo spring seat-springer1.jpg  
Old 08-27-2010, 05:12 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Plasteredcat
lilbruce its funny i just put the same set up on my fat boy. HD seat, Licks mirrors and HD grips.
I just did a 350 mile trip... my *** is still recovering. I did purchase a gell slip over pad which helps a lot. The other things you need to be mind full of is on take off you will slid of the rear of the seat & on big *** bumps you could get launched from the seat. i hit a major bump and the springs on this seat really can bounce you off your bike . Other than that the seat is great. I do think it could be a couple of inches wider and a bit more cure towards the rear.

for some reason i hate the look of the HD solo seat but it seems to look way better on your bike than a sporty. i think because it's wider and flows better with a fat boy than a skinny sporty.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:05 AM
simmy711
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am loving this bike. Nice job. Looks bada$$!

lilbruce its funny i just put the same set up on my fat boy. HD seat, Licks mirrors and HD grips.
I just did a 350 mile trip... my *** is still recovering. I did purchase a gell slip over pad which helps a lot. The other things you need to be mind full of is on take off you will slid of the rear of the seat & on big *** bumps you could get launched from the seat. i hit a major bump and the springs on this seat really can bounce you off your bike . Other than that the seat is great. I do think it could be a couple of inches wider and a bit more cure towards the rear.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:21 AM
zRamz
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plasteredcat, I like your bike. How do you like the Silencers Grips? do you ride without gloves, how do they feel? Love the Skull horn, where did you get that?

Thanks zRamz

Quick Reply: black solo spring seat