Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xl1200r starter spins but no engine crank

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:48 PM
oldtimeblues
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xl1200r starter spins but no engine crank

Hey all, recently purchased a 2004 XL1200r. The bike was shipped from Kentucky to NYC. Got the bike off the trailer and it did start but took a couple tries. I figured its been siting on a tractor trailer for 2 weeks, so it's plausable. Rode it home 2nd gear at tops World Trade Center FBI cops etc didnt want to push my luck: I was in uniform- Paramedic, with no helmet. OK, I tried to start it three days later. All she would do is lights on, netural light and water light- last time I checked 1200 don't have a radiator, and the starter would spin but no engiene turn over and no horn??? Today, following cHARLEY'S advice, I removed the neg cable from the lower engiene- PS IT WAS LOOSE, removed it by hand, slipped out the battery following the battery case removal and installed a trickle charger. I'm praying that the battery is the problem, but so far loose cables aren't the answer. I tried to start her after the charger install, still same response??? Any other ideas???

PS finished charging the battery and still the same, no engine crank and the horn don't work, but the water light don't come on.

TIA

Andrew

Last edited by oldtimeblues; 06-16-2010 at 09:54 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 06-16-2010, 10:30 PM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets see if I understand what you are saying. When you turn the key all the lights come on right? When you push the start button, you can hear the starter spinning but the engine does not crank? If this is correct, it's possibly the starter drive. This is a mechanical part of the starter motor. Starter drives are known to fail on XL 1200s. replacements cost about $75 and take a qualified technician about 2 hours to install.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:46 PM
yotaweeler
Advanced

yea had the same problem last month on my xl1200c. starter kept turning but bike didnt crank over, it was the gear or the bearing in the starter wasn't engaging. try putting ur bike in 2nd gear and rocking back and forth a bit with the clutch out and try starting after that. that seemed to work for me for awhile tell it went all the way out

Old 06-16-2010, 10:51 PM
NI-STER
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Wraith on this one! My first thought was starter drive!

Old 06-16-2010, 11:00 PM
yotaweeler
Advanced

yea starter drive,
yea that's what mine was but it worked now and then

Old 06-16-2010, 11:08 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

+1 on the above. I had 2 starter clutches fail in the first 24,000 miles. I gave up and replaced the entire starter with one made by "All *****". I got it from Eastern Performance for about $160.00. 36,000+ miles later and no more starter problems.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:06 PM
oldtimeblues
6th Gear
Default Thanks all: next question

Since it is a used bike, how can I ensure myself that that's really the problem. I also see that I have to do a full tune up. I just checked the oil= LOW and Id swear it smells like gas??? Anyways thanks all and cHARLY for the specific recommendation on the ALL ***** starter.

Any good sites or ifno for the bike as far as a self done tune up or known problems other then the starter is concerned would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Old 06-19-2010, 07:53 PM
yotaweeler
Advanced

id get a manual.think there usually 55 bucks but its a good source of info.

id do the spark plugs, air filter and oil/oil filter and ur...cant think of the name but ur gear box oil wear ur clutch is. check ur tires too

Old 06-19-2010, 07:54 PM
yotaweeler
Advanced

o and ur brake fluids too. might be running rich due to the change in climate, might b y your smelling gas
probably gonna have to adjust the gas air mixture

Last edited by yotaweeler; 06-19-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:00 PM
oldtimeblues
6th Gear

OK, so the horn don't work because there was a 15 amp fuse missing. I ordered the fix my hog videos for the sporster and got myself a manual. I plan on duing a full tune up, but heres the next question: yotaweeler mentioned that I might be running too rich. The bike has a stage 1 kit for the carb and a set of screaming eagles slip ons. I guess the manual will tell me how to set up the carbs. I definatly see an all ***** starter in the near future.

Does the starter come with the clutch and selinoid?

Thanks

Andrew

Quick Reply: xl1200r starter spins but no engine crank