Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked em up...YIKES

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 01:10 PM
spottedfool
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked em up...YIKES

So I locked my brakes for the first time and that wasnt fun..lol

up ahead I noticed the lane merging as the far left lane was closed. So I was a good 2-3 seconds behind my traffic when all the sudden you hear screeching and everyone is slammin the brakes. I apply my brakes but too hard as both locked and now im going sideways..so per msf class I remembered to release the front break and I stopped right away....i wasnt even close to the truck in front of me when we were all stopped and the guy behind me gave me plenty of cushion...just freaky though. Good thing I took the msf course so I knew what brake to release first and then promptly put this on my "never to do again" list...oh and with the left lane closed all this happened because a guy wanted to turn left at the light. In this case maybe tomorrow morning I stay in the far right lane..lol

Old 08-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Arctic Badger
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Locked em up...YIKES

Lucky you!

I had a close one yesterday, too. Merging on the freeway I let the POS car in front of me get about 5 seconds ahead. He speeds up to merge in front of the car in the right lane, I look over my left to make sure I'm clear while hitting the turn signal. 1/8th second glance to look back in front and these idiots are playing "you go first" "no, YOU go first" with each other and slowed to about 10 miles an hour. I was already accelerating to merge. Hit both brakes and had to swerve to the right to keep out of this morons trunk.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:24 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad you pulled thru it o.k. Lesson learned..

Old 08-22-2006, 05:38 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I remember the first time I locked 'em up and no it wasnt fun. I rode dirt bikes for a long time and locking up a Harley is nothing like a dirt bike. Releasing the front brake just seems like the natural thing to do in this type of situation. Good luck to you and be safe.....

Old 08-22-2006, 07:39 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Things that I learned in the MSF class have saved me numerous times.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:11 PM
aceospades
Road Warrior

well my cousin wasnt so lucky yesterday..he has an 06 wide glide and was riding with another cousin who has an 04 road king and they were on the parkway coming to a tollbooth when so stupid woman cut him off and he ran into the back of the road king and wiped out..he slid on the asspualt for about 30 feet and really screwed up his bike bad..he is ok minor scrapes and bruises(lucky for him)

Old 08-23-2006, 07:12 PM
ionate
Road Captain

Yikes - I hope everyone has recovered ok. I had a close call coming into work as well today!

I was going fairly slow (30-) bc I was still letting my bike warm up before hitting the highway.

On my left hand side about 200" in front of me, I noticed an older guy in a truck getting read to make a right hand turn (right in front of me).

I was watching his face the whole time and noticed that he ONLY looked to one side and NOT the side that I was coming from.

Naturally, I slowed down quite a bit and sure enough, the dude turned right without even given one look to see me coming.

Luckily I was prepared and avoided the collision.

Idiots.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:13 PM
ionate
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: ionate

Yikes - I hope everyone has recovered ok. I had a close call coming into work as well today!

I was going fairly slow (30-) bc I was still letting my bike warm up before hitting the highway.

<<CORRECTION>>On my RIGHT hand side about 200" in front of me, I noticed an older guy in a truck getting read to make a LEFT hand turn (right in front of me).

I was watching his face the whole time and noticed that he ONLY looked to one side and NOT the side that I was coming from.

Naturally, I slowed down quite a bit and sure enough, the dude turned LEFT without even given one look to see me coming.

Luckily I was prepared and avoided the collision.

Idiots.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:25 PM
ionate
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: spottedfool

I remembered to release the front break and I stopped right away....

Good thing I took the msf course so I knew what brake to release first

I'm curious, I didn't take the MSF class (perhaps I should!) and I've heard about letting go of the front break, but what about the back? Exactly what do you do in these kinds of situations, in respect to the brakes?

Just letting the front brake off is good enough or?

Old 08-23-2006, 07:41 PM
spottedfool
Cruiser

Per class I was instructed to release only to release the front break to stop the lock and then pump if I have time. If im not mistaken if I release the back break 2 bad things can happen..1) I can go flying over the bars and 2) the back snaps back into place resulting is a high side crash..which would suck. Since I saw it somewhat ahead of time I had plenty of distance between the cars in front and behind me...should have squeezed the brakes...not grabbed [:@]

Quick Reply: Locked em up...YIKES